R.I.P. Tim Sale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otomofan

Super Freak
Reaction score
Comics artist Tim Sale died suddenly at the age of 66. A cause of death wasn't revealed yet, but he must have been sick cause Jim Lee tweeted about 24 hours earlier that he was in the hospital and needed prayers.

I have to be completely honest; I wasn't a fan of most of his stuff. I know he illustrated "The Long Halloween" and that's a landmark Batman story, but I just never warmed up to his stylized, almost intentionally sloppy looking art.

The first time I saw his stuff was an early 90s reboot of "Challengers of the Unknown" and it was really awful. I couldn't believe they let him draw!

But then he did a three issue arc in Legends of the Dark Knight that changed my mind. It's called "Blades" and was written by James Robinson and was probably my favorite arc out of that entire series. He also did a lot of ghost/Halloween type Batman stuff after his success on Long Halloween.

So even though I wasn't the biggest fan, I respected him. I believe he even finished drawing "Deathblow" for Jim Lee and did his best to ape the Sin City style that Lee was aping at the time.

Obviously people DID like his art a lot. DC Direct has made plenty of figures and statues based on his versions of Batman, and people are always requesting it from McFarlane and MAFEX.

We've been losing a lot of great artists lately. It's terrible. 66 really isn't even that old anymore, nowadays. Anyway....rest in peace.

RCO001_1561347850.jpg

RCO023_1469210419.jpg
RCO024_1469210419.jpg

Back