1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is definitely the next thing I want to work on getting for myself. I just hate that all the ones currently on eBay are from Japan. The shipping alone would break me. For now, I'll have to settle for the Lego version my wife is getting me for Christmas

7 years I have been searching for a display case for this thing for under $500. and at that price I wanted something that could hold more than just this...
I have Bestas wall to wall in my office and did it with lighting for $2,000, I think about 32 cubes in total. Quotes from professional closet/shelf places were $10,000 or more, haha.

So I have been watching Ikea for years hoping they would have something, most are too narrow but a few have been close, problem is most of their 18" wide ones are exterior, and inside is about 15" this for example, I measure in store last year, 15" inside, a new one hit this year similar with nice sliding doors, same issue, sliding doors are about 2" thick plus 1" in the back.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/malsjoe-glass-door-cabinet-black-stained-black-stained-60303481/

Where I want to put the bat mobile in my movie room I have an old media center off to the side that I would either replace with a larger cabinet or put a smaller display on top of it, like the acrylic ones. Just seems like an insane amount of money for a few sheets of plastic.

Really want to just buy something and get this displayed but dont want a bad display box ruining the awesome figures. So right now at under $500 its 3 choices:

-fish tank, $200 plus about $40 for a clear acrylic sheet to put on top (so its not a tank top) cheapest option, but worried it will look weird
would add own lighting
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/75-gallon-aquarium-in-black-660680

-Sora Shop (looks like they ship to US, at least I can pick the option at checkout right now)
the biggest is 105cm (41 inches) for length which is fine but not really any room on sides for figures, I can make it 18-19" width and get figures in display next to car though. Cost with shipping converted to US is about $213 with no base (going on top of media center, don't need a base), or if made to look more complete with black base it would be $287, so $74 for the base. Would add own lighting
It appears as though its inbetween the 1/8-3/16 US thickness as 4mm is 0.157" (so 5/32")
I do like how its a screw down design, seems more firm than the last choice
https://sora-shop.com/customized-products/

-Acrylicjob.com
so they have a connector system with really good reviews on etsy, save a ton on shipping because you but them together like sora shop. They have 3 thickness options but when I contacted them they recommend 3/16 or 1/4" for something this large, 1/8" with be too thin, which substantially increases the price.
What I like about them is they can do really large displays, So I can make something that fits over my entire media center cabinet 54x20 and gives me a ton of extra space for extra batman figures! They also give the option of a integrated LED base (LEDs around edges, so not spotlight but more ambient light) about $55 extra and I know you can do your own lighting for much less money but this does come with DC adapter that plugs right into base. With shipping (california to IL) its $449 with LED or $396 without it for a 52x18x14 interior size. Concerns are price (highest option) and how its connected together, not as seemless as other options and worried it will look cheap for a $400-$450 display.
I could go slightly smaller at 41x18x14 interior for $361 with no LED but then I might as well go with Sora Shop for a lot less money (granted no wood base)

https://www.acrylicjob.com/product/custom-display-case/

Let me know your thoughts

here is an example of their lighted base case
3L5A2456.jpg

7 years I have been searching for a display case for this thing for under $500. and at that price I wanted something that could hold more than just this...[...]

Let me know your thoughts

[...]

A lot of board members have been very happy with Sora Shop -- I would have used them myself but at the time they were only shipping within Europe, to my knowledge. Maybe that's changed...

...the fish tank will look weird for a number of reasons: at that size, the glass will be relatively thick (to hold water) and the iron content in the glass will impart a slight green tint. Not a huge deal for a black car, but something to consider...more to the point, the black trim and relatively thick silicone seams on a mass-market aquarium will look a bit obvious. If I was going to use an aquarium I'd want a rimless tank with Starphire? glass (low iron content for clarity) or equivalent, and that will be cost-prohibitive and heavy compared to acrylic, although much harder to scratch.

I've looked at the same type of knock-down displays that Acrylic Job sells, and besides that they don't look as clean, I've heard a few complaints about their assembly and long-term durability, and ease of use.

If you can get it shipped to your location, I'd go with Sora Shop, failing that, look up acrylic fabricators in your area, it takes some digging but you can often find someone that will do it at a reasonable cost.

Wish I could help, but I'm in the same boat, maybe worse.

Several years back, I ordered an acrylic riser and cover for the 1/6 tumbler from www.displaycasej.com. It works fine, and it's really high quality, but the shipping alone (within the US) was roughly $160, which pushed the total cost way out there. The 1989 is much longer than the tumbler, so I'm sure that pushes their full price well into the stratosphere.

I now have each of the two different tumblers, the batpod, the 1989, the 1/12 bat, and now the 1966 on order with Joost, but I really don't have a solution that works for them all. Moducase has some stuff that might fit, but they are extremely expensive. Not saying it's not worth it, just too much for me.

Getting a good display for these things is a royal pain, but it's a crime not to show them off. I'm sure I've spent way more effort trying to figure out how to display these things than I've spent enjoying them, so I'll be building something custom in the near future.

Please post how you end up with this.

I ve bought my my Sora Shop back to 2015. At that time they did not ship in the US. Maybe it changed.
Mine from them, made to mesure, is 110 cm length, 50 cm width and 40 cm height.
You can fit the figures inside:

There also a new French maker that seems to ship internationally and makes awesome stuff for reasonable prices:

https://www.vitrineexpo.com/

Hey guys, so I've decided to fix the scratches on my batmobile canopy and I remember seeing someone mentioned about using Vallejo model air black and airbrush it. Do you guys think it's doable in terms of the color matching? Cheers!

Just a small off-topic.
Last time I went to my father’s house, I felt by accident on my 1989 ERTL Batmobile I thought lost for many years.

It was one of my favorite toy as a kid. So many memories came back. Being a 8 years old child in 1989 was a delicious moment!
And more than 30 years later, it is still one of the best sculpt to date IMO( if you do abstraction of the logo on the top of the canopy).

I gave it to my little boy but it made me want to buy a new and fresh one. I found one on eBay in England.
When I touched the paper board back I immediately remember the day and the shop where my parents bought me this Batmobile in 1989.

But the detail I had never paid attention to was a little serial number under each car and recalled at the back of the cardboard.
The car bought 30 years ago was number 2139 G.
The one received a few days ago is number... 1989 G !!!

A 1989 Batmobile, produced in 1989 and with a serial number 1989! Just crazy! :wink1:
It will never leave its cardboard!

My father and I both got them around the time they came out.

He built a custom display for his that included an external switch to turn the lights on/off:

eZaKlYG.jpg

4S5agJF.jpg

6vgkX99.jpg

Shot a quick, poorly made showcase video if anyone's interested. It's definitely not fun to shoot such a clunky toy in room lighting!

Thanks for the video.
Never get rid of this Batmobile. Got a special emotional link with it because Batman 89 was my first experience of a ?*modern blockbuster*? in theater. Was 8 and will never forget it
This HT Batmobile is the item which really put me in the hobby. The first unboxing was so amazing. Everything was so huge, from the box to the car!

It wasn't too bad Jay! I definitely enjoyed watching it! Every time I see this beautiful, I want one in my collection! Unfortunately, I have no room for one. I had to settle for the Lego version, which is a thing of beauty on its own!

Back