Barbie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hwed5Bx.jpeg

xISBYv7.jpeg

fBrViZj.jpeg

As much as I'm curious to see this at some point (especially after hearing that it's more than just a vapid comedy or toy commercial), I just can't bring myself to pay $18 for a ticket to a... Barbie movie.

Gonna have to wait for streaming instead for this one.

Downloaded the cam-rip of this, cause it's 3 in the morning and what else am I gonna do....actually sleep?

Anyway.

Got about 20 minutes in.

Let's just say I am decidedly NOT the target audience and leave it at that.

I have 0 interest in a Barbie movie— interesting actors aside…I don’t tend to get swept up into media / social media darlings gah gaging for or against a movie

I enjoy historical dramas so I will see Oppenheimer when it hits the streaming services

Last edited:
I went with a lady friend earlier, enjoyed it - it's definitely not a film for guys, that's for sure, but if you go in with that mindset it becomes enjoyable. It's definitely a bit on the nose with the points it makes, but the tone justifies it to a degree, and it feels like there's a good message in there for girls and women. I feel like it's difficult for me to comment definitely because I'm so far from the target audience, but I think I enjoyed about as much as a guy could, put it that way. Ryan Gosling seems like he was having the time of his life.

Just saw this. Had a good time. Yes, it gets socio-political and folks like the Critical Dullard will undoubtedly throw a hissy, but it's a Greta Gerwig movie at the end of the day. Anyone who watches movies shouldn't be surprised. To Gerwig and Baumbach's credit, they do take an even-handed approach to certain topics (at least as even-handed as one can be making a Barbie movie).

For anyone who's seen the movie and/or cares about the socio-political angle:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Just saw this. Had a good time. Yes, it gets socio-political and folks like the Critical Dullard will undoubtedly throw a hissy, but it's a Greta Gerwig movie at the end of the day. Anyone who watches movies shouldn't be surprised. To Gerwig and Baumbach's credit, they do take an even-handed approach to certain topics (at least as even-handed as one can be making a Barbie movie).
I like the Critical Drinker, as he's entertaining and he has more nuance than a lot of the other rage-haters, and admits when he's wrong and does try and give credit where he can for movies he doesn't like. I watch him (amongst others) to see if I'm likely to like a movie or not, and if not, I just don't watch it.

I'm not here to debate whether people should like him and his opinions or not. Honestly I don't care what people see as there should be movies for everyone, but not every movie should be for everyone, which a lot of people forget.

Re: Greta Hedwig and not being surprised. If you know her, I agree, which is why I don't watch her movies, but I'd be surprised if even 10% of the opening weekend audience would even have a clue about who she is and her movie style, and are going because of the hype.

For anyone who's seen the movie and/or cares about the socio-political angle:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Downloaded the cam-rip of this, cause it's 3 in the morning and what else am I gonna do....actually sleep?

Anyway.

Got about 20 minutes in.

Let's just say I am decidedly NOT the target audience and leave it at that.
Yes we know you are not the target audience lol.

..and Indiana Jones is a bomb and Mission Impossible not that huge domestically at the moment. Could change in a couple weeks. How big will the drop-off for Barbie next weekend?

Back