Barbie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually think it looks like cute, harmless fun. My only concern is that it looks like it has way too much sexual innuendo. My eight year old niece absolutely loves Barbie, but this looks inappropriate for her.

This is NOT for your eight year old niece, this is going to be way over her head.

Looks like a fun flick.The Barbie world looks pretty cool.

I was reminded of an old Disney movie Life Size (2000), which looking back at it now is a neat ‘Barbie‘ movie.

p-lifesize-19754-7a2c8c4b.jpg

Margot Robbie is pretty interesting in that she's clearly gotten better with each role. Didn't like Birds Of Prey but no one could save that script.

Ryan Gosling generally picks films with good scripts. I don't always enjoy the subject matter, but he does appear to try to pick something other than pure cash grabs.

I'll give this a shot.

It may end up being a kind of dark comedy. ( Baumbach wrote this apparently. So it will probably lean towards Woody Allen Lite, just without all the self loathing ) Almost all of Baumbach's stuff revolves around a protagonist trying to find their "authentic" selves.
Baumbach wrote this? Well I am definitely watching this then, I love marriage story and white noise. Hopefully this will be a nice fun distraction from all the gritty realism and real life lol

Also it did seem weird having an actor of gosling's calibre on this, we may be pleasantly surprised

Every time I see this thread title it gives me flashbacks to when I tried to read Tom Bower's Butcher of Lyons. ☠️

I don't think DID/3R will be making any figures from this film. :lol

I don't know about oscars, but it'll be fun to watch. It's nice when acting talent give themselves fully to a silly role.

Although I do need to stay off social media as people's reactions to the trailer are making me angry :D e.g. "I'm going to be so f-ing extra at this movie!", and "I'm literally combusting" - kids nowadays eh?

This film looks so lame. Why are so many people interested? There's so much Oscar buzz around it already. Honestly, I don't get it.

I can only speak for myself, but when it come to movies or TV shows, I like to leave myself open to being surprised. Sometimes I run into things that would not normally interest me ( the theme, subject matter, etc, etc) but some stuff really speaks to me and resonates deeply. IMHO, that's part of the beauty of film.

Am not a huge music fan. Don't know much about songs or drumming. But Whiplash was just phenomenal. Really knew little about 500 Days Of Summer before I saw it, but most guys I know really relate to that film on all kinds of levels. It's a rom com dealing with how it works for guys, which is almost never shown nor discussed in most films of that type. Nightcrawler. The Queens Gambit. The Miniaturist. Dog Soldiers.

If it's a theme I don't normally follow, then sometimes the performers/actors can sway me to giving it a chance. I'll give anything with Florence Pugh a chance. Also Riz Ahmed. A few others. As for general audiences, Margot Robbie is A list now. She's the legitimate still young enough "It Girl" right now in mainstream Hollywood. She gets to pick her parts first, everyone else has to deal with the leftovers. Ryan Gosling is a decent box office draw. He's charismatic and he has movie star appeal and honestly lots of women get hot for him.

Both Gosling and Robbie have "Pretty Privilege" In psychology and basic sociology, it's called "The Halo Effect" i.e. if you are seen as very physically attractive, many people will automatically assume other positive traits onto you as well. Earned or not. Daisy Ridley is young, she's beautiful, she smiles a lot and has a great smile, she says the right things in interviews and gives off a classic feminine vibe. Of course many people will assign her with the benefit of the doubt just from baseline human instinct.

If Kelly Marie Tran looked like Daisy Ridley, her career would be a whole different story. It's just stuff people don't want to talk about most of the time. As for Oscar buzz, there are clear strategies at times to try to get certain people a statue as soon as possible. Lots of both good movies and widely perceived as bad movies get Oscar buzz. I wouldn't make much of it at this point. Being good looking and having "social proof" ( the masses loving you operates like a contagion ) is probably the best kind of "currency" you can have in our modern society. Hollywood doesn't dictate that, it just monetizes it's open reality in our culture.

If every guy here woke up tomorrow and looked like Joe Manganiello, what do you think would happen in their individual lives? Can you imagine how much free stuff you'd get at SDCC for looking like Joe Manganiello? If Daisy Ridley wasn't famous, but posted here on SSF and started a thread saying, "HI, I'm Daisy and I love action figures!" and posted a ton of pictures of herself in yoga pants working out, do you know how much free stuff and attention she would get?

The attention we get is relative to our status, and our status is often linked to the way we look and how that operates as "life currency"

I hope the Barbie film tries to cover that issue with humor and honesty. Barring that, an old show on FX, called Nip Tuck, is a great low level discussion point on the currency of looks and how they operate as social proof.

I won't call people in general as the word "shallow" but when it comes to how you look, things often can get real brutal and real fast. It's very likely that this Barbie film will work as a satire. Really good looking famous people often have to take a public self deprecating type of vibe so as not to enrage the general public, which nearly all look nothing even close to Gosling and/or Robbie.

This film looks so lame. Why are so many people interested? There's so much Oscar buzz around it already. Honestly, I don't get it.

Because this may end up being a treasure trove of sarcastic humor.

Here is a poster for pregnant Midge, who iirc is Barbie's younger sister. Does this look very politically correct to you....? Me either. But hilarious? It might just be that.

Have a feeling that noooooooo, eight year old nieces maybe better have this vetted first

Fs3xNUsaIAIvUw9.jpeg

Back