Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the films (mostly) did well for their intended audience. I'm willing to bet that majority of movie goers that are watching these modern comic book films are not comic book readers so they probably don't care how close it is to the source material. As long as the story works and makes good entertainment, I'm ok with it personally.

Dude, unfortunately, we comic book fans are only but a fraction of the audience that sees this movie.

But whenever I do tell my friends some of the things that were better executed in the comics. Coughironpatriot/malekithcough.

They do wish they didn't make those changes. Like, why water down things that were amazing in the comics just so the audience accepts it more? I think the audience should see exactly why we loved hear stories and characters from the page and onto the big screen. If you have to make changes, they better be good ones.

Dude, unfortunately, we comic book fans are only but a fraction of the audience that sees this movie.

But whenever I do tell my friends some of the things that were better executed in the comics. Coughironpatriot/malekithcough.

They do wish they didn't make those changes. Like, why water down things that were amazing in the comics just so the audience accepts it more? I think the audience should see exactly why we loved hear stories and characters from the page and onto the big screen. If you have to make changes, they better be good ones.

Is this a good change?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 171
Published August 08, 2014 by Devin Faraci
AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Just Wrapped. Here’s Why They’ll Be Doing Reshoots

Kevin Feige explains Marvel's tradition of additional photography.

Reshoots! They're a dirty word, mostly because the only time the press takes notes of reshoots is when a production is troubled. But the reality is that for many filmmakers - including Woody Allen, who always schedules reshoots - they're a vital part of the process. They're key to the Marvel way of making movies, which is very much about finding the movie in the edit. I talked to Kevin Feige about this, and he told me that JW Rinzler's Making of Star Wars books made him feel better about their process.

I’m reading the part in Jedi where George is finding the movie in the cut. It happened in Empire, and it happened in Star Wars. You’ve heard about those famous early screenings where people were like, ‘Poor George. His career is over.’ That brings great solace to me when we screen our movies for the first time and they’re terrible and they’re a big mess. I remind myself to get calm and proceed.

Post is my favorite part, because it’s easiest to find what’s wrong with the movie when you’re watching the movie.

For Feige it's important to know in advance that they will be doing additional shooting, no matter what. So while Avengers: Age of Ultron finished principal photography this week, it's pretty much a certainty that the cast will be getting back together for pick-ups, additions and tweaks. In fact Marvel already locked them in.

We always build in two weeks because the hardest thing about the additional photography is the actors’ schedules, wrangling the actors. So we just build it in. We’ve done some movies that have three days of reshoots, some that have fifteen days, twenty days if not more. Sometimes we know what we need by that point and sometimes we’re wrangling them anyway. There’s a shot in Thor: The Dark World we call the Three Continent shot. It’s one shot, with three different actors in it, that was done on three different continents.

Additional photography is invaluable. Sometimes it’s to fix something that’s not working, but most of the time on our movies it’s two-fold: sometimes a better or more exciting idea will come along, or more often something will come out of the movie - because it’s too long or the movie is stronger without a particular beat or scene or shot, and you need connective tissue.

For Marvel these reshoots also offer a chance to put in easter eggs or small pieces that connect to the other movies. It's possible that cameos and larger universe shout-outs that will end up in Avengers: Age of Ultron won't even be shot until weeks before release. The famous shawarma scene in The Avengers was shot after the movie premiered.

Of course this isn't a filmmaking method that works for every filmmaker. Some are more precise in their initial shoot - it's hard to imagine Edgar Wright needing two weeks of additional shooting - but for some (and with a producer-driven studio like Marvel), it is a method that works.

Rebuttal from a hollywood insider:

IT'S BOTH N.B.D. AND YET MARVEL HAS HAD SUCH SUCCESS WITH RESHOOTING THAT THEY'RE NOW GOING TOO FAR WITH IT. IT'S BASICALLY 50% OF THEIR PROCESS NOW. SERIOUSLY. AND HULK CAN GUARANTEE YOU THAT IT'S HURTING THE ORIGINAL SCRIPT PROCESS. THEY DESIGN LOOSE SCRIPTS, BUILT ON IMPROVISATION, HOPE TO GET SOMETHING THAT WORKS OUT, THEN BASICALLY TAKE OVER THE DIRECTORS IN THE EDIT (GENERALLY, NOT ALWAYS). BUT MORE THAN ANYTHING, THIS IS THEIR WAY OF RETAINING AS MUCH CONTROL AS POSSIBLE.

IF STUDIOS WERE BETTER AT READING SCRIPTS THIS WOULD SERIOUSLY BE WAY LESS OF AN ISSUE. BUT NOW STUDIOS ARE LEARNING HOW TO STUDIO-PROOF MOVIES FROM THEMSELVES.

AND HULK SAYS THIS AS A HULK WHO MOSTLY REALLY ENJOYS MARVEL MOVIES... BUT THE PROCESS IS PRETTY UNBECOMING.

Nothing wrong with Reshoots, they actually give me a little more confidence in the final product because on huge, elaborate shoots like these, something inevitably gets overlooked and it's always better to have a safety net. Sometimes, elements will work in unexpected ways once seen on the screen, whether positive or negative, by having reshoots you (sort 0f) have the luxury of having 20/20 hindsight.

That being said, reshoots in the case of test audiences and against the wishes of the Director are a different thing, which I generally am against.

Another case of Marvel Studios vs hired talent. At the end of the day it's about the results, and Marvel much more often than not delivers results. I'd much rather Marvel rattle the cages to give us a quality film instead of a crap movie that was produced where all the talent came away with smiles. Really just sounds like Hulk has his panties in a bunch because Phase 3 is shaping up and he still doesn't have a solo film lined up :wink1:

Btw, that writer just HAD to stick Wright's name in there, didn't he? :slap

Another case of Marvel Studios vs hired talent. At the end of the day it's about the results, and Marvel much more often than not delivers results. I'd much rather Marvel rattle the cages to give us a quality film instead of a crap movie that was produced where all the talent came away with smiles. Really just sounds like Hulk has his panties in a bunch because Phase 3 is shaping up and he still doesn't have a solo film lined up :wink1:

Btw, that writer just HAD to stick Wright's name in there, didn't he? :slap

Yeah, seems like the default way to get people to rally against Marvel :ohbfrank:

Back