Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I’m trying to figure out what’s the big draw to this one will be? Like it’s the same movie but with water? Nobody remembers the first so like are all those characters returning. If this movie is as big as the first than I’ll be convinced Hollywood sacrifices people to the devil .
Lol nah but it’s just weird how this movie is being made now

When the original Avatar released in theaters it had the best 3D anyone had seen to date. There were scenes of things emerging in the viewer’s peripheral vision. In one scene like that it was spores that literally looked like they were majestically floating past (behind!) where your were sitting in the theater. That 3D was it’s big draw at the time. It was at the time a must-see 3D experience.

Cameron is trying to replicate that success again with an update to the 3D viewing experience. You can find lots of articles about it, but here one from 5 years ago: Avatar Sequels Could Be Shown in 3D That Doesn’t Require Glasses

The reason we didn‘t have a sequel to Avatar back when it released is Cameron wanted to develop this tech. He’s been working on it all these years. And trust me, this film is going to look absolutely gorgeous in terms of its CGI.

So is it a 3D release or new tech?

Frustrating subject to research because Cameron has played it so close to the vest for all these years. But it looks like the dream of using holographic tech that requires no glasses was something they were unable to achieve, at least affordably for mass consumption. I will assume that this close to release if the movie was going to use a "no glasses required" revolutionary 3D tech they would be trumpeting that loudly. At Cinema-con they gave out glasses. But in one story I read that there are many ways that this will be formatted in order to accommodate theater's differing capabilities. I think there may be a special set of glasses for the highest framerate version? But at any rate, it sounds like the 3D is once again next level. Whatever they were able to do tech-wise to pull it off, Cameron wanted to make the 3D spectacular.

https://nofilmschool.com/tech-avatar-2

Last edited:
Amazing to think Avatar predates the MCU.

Also 55-75 inch TVs with full 3D.

It will be curious what audiences make of Avatar 2. Has it come just in time and is as refreshing as... water? Or will it feel 10 years too late?

Amazing to think Avatar predates the MCU.

Also 55-75 inch TVs with full 3D.

It will be curious what audiences make of Avatar 2. Has it come just in time and is as refreshing as... water? Or will it feel 10 years too late?

Impressive CGI and 3D tech breakthroughs are definitely a huge factor here, but at the end of the day I think if A2 strongly connects with audiences with characters we identify with, care about, and root for, and just tells a damn good story it could be the first movie to crack $3B at the box office. Again, Faucci just last week basically said the pandemic is now at an end. Once the CDC makes that official, that boost is perfect timing for this movie.

Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk came out summer 2008.

Avatar hit theaters Christmas 2009.

Just as an aside... okay, well a tangent...

Iron Man started the MCU off so damn strong! And then they sort of faltered a bit with The Incredible Hulk (although many now argue it's underrated) and IM2 (still decent overall but what a criminal waste of Mickey Rourke!). But by 2011 with Thor it was back in full stride.

I know people like to blast the DCEU in comparison... fairly in certain ways, and imo unfairly in others... but it wasn't a perfectly smooth start for the MCU either!

(This is a discussion for another thread, I realize, apologies.)

Last edited:
WOW!

Way of Water!

What do you mean, this mystical, magical name conjures the very essence of h2o filled with various aquatic life and some plants and here we all sit, rapt with the magnificent pictures filling our mind's eyes.

:ROFLMAO: :devilish: :ROFLMAO:

I'm impressed with the amount of thought Cameron put into this title. Its like a doctoral thesis condensed into three words. A real wordsmith, he is.

these pictures are pretty and I have zero real interest in Dances with Wolves v.3.0

I'll admit, the name kind of sucks, but I still trust James Cameron. Although maybe he's not the same James Cameron that made Terminator 2. Maybe he's past his prime.

MAAAAAYYYYYBEEEEEEEEE?????!!!!!!!

I miss the Cameron we had back in the day. The guy creating some of the greatest sci-fi content on the big screen, remember him?

Yeah, this ain't him.

Last edited:
Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk came out summer 2008.

Avatar hit theaters Christmas 2009.

Ticky tacky... Yes, I know Iron Man came out in 2008, take the Professor here and plug him into the hyper-drive. But for the most part -- like nearly all of it -- the MCU as we know it came mostly after Avatar. The term "MCU" wasn't even around yet in 2008, was it? So when I said predates MCU, I wasn't totally wrong... ticky tack-nically.

Ticky tacky... Yes, I know Iron Man came out in 2008, take the Professor here and plug him into the hyper-drive. But for the most part -- like nearly all of it -- the MCU as we know it came mostly after Avatar. The term "MCU" wasn't even around yet in 2008, was it? So when I said predates MCU, I wasn't totally wrong... ticky tack-nically.
Dude the MCU predated Avatar by a full year and a half, lol.

Is it so hard to simply say "oops I stand corrected?" ;)

Back