Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll just leave this here...again 😅 Nah, I'll happily take a well sculpted grey hat and paint it blue. Literally a five minute job. Cheers for doing this @Asmus.

Was there any official word on when the eyeballs will be available and if they are coming with Bilbo? That's my main interest in upgrading this figure right now.

Screenshot_20220524-123509_YouTube.jpg

Ok. I hate to be that guy but threads, news and social media posts have moved at a lightning pace and its too much to go through. Asmus is making new Gandalf hats for the Crown figure. They're a free addition with the Bilbo figure purchase.. Others will have to pay for it, including Crown buyers, at some point in the future? Is this correct?

I'll just leave this here...again 😅 Nah, I'll happily take a well sculpted grey hat and paint it blue. Literally a five minute job. Cheers for doing this @Asmus.

Was there any official word on when the eyeballs will be available and if they are coming with Bilbo? That's my main interest in upgrading this figure right now.

View attachment 582412

Unless I missed it somewhere, Asmus has only responded to our hat conversations and comments and they haven't mentioned getting new eyes to us at all.

Ok. I hate to be that guy but threads, news and social media posts have moved at a lightning pace and its too much to go through. Asmus is making new Gandalf hats for the Crown figure. They're a free addition with the Bilbo figure purchase.. Others will have to pay for it, including Crown buyers, at some point in the future? Is this correct?

That is correct, though Asmus has also said that they may include the hat in the box with other figures besides Bilbo, such as Gollum, Ringwraiths, etc. They don't know for sure right now but assured us that everyone who wants a new hat will be able to get one somehow at some point. The vagueness of it is part of the reason for all of the heated discussions in this thread!

They said eyes and hats will come with the GTG heads. But they haven't mentioned if the eyes will be sent with any other orders. They did confirm that 10,000 hats will be produced and sent for free with as many orders as they can get them into. They're still working out the logistics of which orders they'll be able to include them in. If I'm reading it right, I think they also offered to send hats to people who are willing to pay the postage, which is likely to be pretty hefty. Barring that, since they're making so many of them, it shouldn't be hard to find hats from secondary sellers like eBay (or maybe right here on this forum) once they start going out.

I'm curious if 10,000 hats is a typo. It seems impossible to believe that they've sold 10,000 Gandalfs. I don't even think most Hot Toys figures get into those kinds of numbers. Most are around 5,000.

I'm curious if 10,000 hats is a typo. It seems impossible to believe that they've sold 10,000 Gandalfs. I don't even think most Hot Toys figures get into those kinds of numbers. Most are around 5,000.

It's not a typo. They are going to squeeze hats into all of the upcoming LOTR figures starting with old Bilbo, then to all of the next pre-order LOTR figures. There will ultimately be way way more hats out there than Gandalfs. Way more.

I'm sure reproducing the hats in plastic and adding them to existing packages is going to be way less time consuming, complicated and expensive than the cost of shipping one to each person who has bought a Gandalf thus far, or even responding to each replacement request.

If there are a few people who don't get their replacement hat this way- they will figure out something more. I suspect they are hoping that those people will be relatively few.

Some people also have the original GTG which will also need a new hat so it's good that there will be an abundance floating around. Unless InArt improve theirs, that's another hat needed if you have multiple Gandalfs.

I'll probably be happy to pass along my hats to anyone who isn't getting another figure in the near future. I have several figures coming, including Bilbo, so I guess I'll have plenty to share.

Truly, I am grateful to Asmus for doing the extra hats. I also really do appreciate their logistical and financial considerations. I actually think their solution is pretty clever (and am pushing another company to try a similar approach to fixing a display/diorama packaging issue).

As for my personal preference, the replacement hat does look cool but I'd probably still rather have a fabric hat. Maybe now that I know a new hat is coming I'll feel better about messing with the one I have. One of the odd things about the hat to my eyes, is that double layer on the rim, so maybe I can take it apart... or find some etsy seller to make me a replacement that looks better.

Everyone says the Inart one looks better- and of course their Prototype hat looks better than the postproduction Asmus hat. But what is the Inart post production hat going to look like? I know 1/6 scale is hard and producing even just 500 of these things is probably tricky. My guess is it will not look like the prototype. Whether they can pull off a hat that looks better or worse than Asmus hat, remains to be seen.

If by some miracle the Inart hat looks exactly like their prototype, I guess I will be forking over large amounts to one of those sellers who pieces these figures out into tiny little fragments to sell... unless I've commissioned an OOAK one by then.

Some people also have the original GTG which will also need a new hat so it's good that there will be an abundance floating around. Unless InArt improve theirs, that's another hat needed if you have multiple Gandalfs.
Hopefully not in the North Pacific Ocean though, otherwise it's 'Houston, we have a problem'. :lol

I think with up to 10000 hats there will e lots on ebay soon. Many chances for everyone

Asmus got back to me with the probable rates for shipping a new hat and they are totally reasonable. Happy to be getting a fix for this. Thanks Asmus.
Same with me. Shipping to the Netherlands was quite fine for me. Hope to hear back with a shipping invoice soon.
@Asmus Thank you for this, I really appreciate it.

So it’s free with upcoming figures and available to purchase… The logical solution.

Looks like all the time people spent ‘wah wah’ing over the last several pages was a complete waste of their lives and unnecessarily raised their blood pressure- but I sure enjoyed reading it- so who am I to criticise what passes for entertainment?

Back