Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess to me it’s kind of funny how many people were complaining about buying another figure to get an upgrade. Unless you only bought Gandalf I suppose.

It seems like Asmus in particular has a pretty dedicated following so it was kind of just a nice gesture that they were offering to include the hat in a release a lot of people were probably getting anyways.

Also it’s not like Asmus even had to offer it at all. Hot Toys would probably do a straight up re-release with upgrades or a new figure touting upgrades instead of allowing you a chance to get new pieces for your existing figure.
Asmus didn't have to offer it at all. They could instead just have chosen to have the fact that they shipped something unworkable that didn't match what they advertised affect the perceptions of their business. Instead they have made the very wise decision to fix something that they broke, and by doing so place them in a better position with customers going forward.
They didn't do anyone a favor here. They made a very smart business decision that should help them earn more money in the future.

Asmus didn't have to offer it at all. They could instead just have chosen to have the fact that they shipped something unworkable that didn't match what they advertised affect the perceptions of their business. Instead they have made the very wise decision to fix something that they broke, and by doing so place them in a better position with customers going forward.
They didn't do anyone a favor here. They made a very smart business decision that should help them earn more money in the future.
or.. asmus has a secret mission to encourage their customer's creativity.. embrace their creative side by DIY the parts from their products, such as fixing Gandalf's hat by removing the inner layer, painting the grey eyes white, drilling the hole on the staff for the pipe.. painting the bloody scratches on Ash' body, placing stickers on the nameplate, and so on..

So you can pay a premium price of $350, AND get more creative push at the same time! 👌

I just realised that they used sculpted hats in the movies, so the latest Asmus hat is actually the most accurate both in form and in representation.
The hats are made from wool...maybe they covered a pre-shaped frame though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220613-080022_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220613-080022_YouTube.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 0
The hats are made from wool...maybe they covered a pre-shaped frame though.
I think they made a mold and created the wool version on a mold.
My point is that the plastic hat is as close as you can get to the form and look in 1/6 scale. To me, it does look pretty close in this scale.
From what I cans see in the other thread.
391449-Screenshot-20220613-080554-YouTube.jpg

391524-Gandalf3.jpg
391532-8ca17d5f34c14b476f0b513778e8144b.jpg

391533-lotr-gandalf-4-1-.jpg

But as you can see, Gandalf's hat crease when he's in Hobbiton and in Moria is different.. (especially the backside of the hat, the cone not the brim), so if it's indeed a hard mold, maybe there are several hat props with different shapes, or instead of a molded hat, it is a hard/stiff felt or fabric that can still change shape/creases.

A 1/6 plastic hat will not be able to potray/replicate that "crease changes" accurately. Maybe a hat that is still made from fabric/felt, but stiff/hard enough is more accurate.

Last edited:
or.. asmus has a secret mission to encourage their customer's creativity.. embrace their creative side by DIY the parts from their products, such as fixing Gandalf's hat by removing the inner layer, painting the grey eyes white, drilling the hole on the staff for the pipe.. painting the bloody scratches on Ash' body, placing stickers on the nameplate, and so on..

So you can pay a premium price of $350, AND get more creative push at the same time! 👌

I'd have to say when I started collecting 1/6 I learned pretty fast to at minimum have a repair kit, which, probably like a lot of collectors, rapidly expanded to random parts and scouring the 'bay for various 1/6 accessories or parts. And that was just for Hor Toys. And I know plenty of buyers just want to set their fig up and go.

But over the long run, even my most perfect figs; glue dries up, or something needs to get worked on. Having to remove a hat lining is IMO minor compared to the part that's stuck in the guantlet of my pricey new Boba Fett - and that IS unfixable. Not without completely drilling. I've got a message into SSC.

This hobby, stuff happens. Most of my figures show up perfect or need minor tweaking, Gandalf needs a bit more work, but it's not irritating the way I think I way overpaid for Blitzway's Zorro, which was "perfect" but IMO a lot of corners were cut. This Gandalf has the accessories, lavish use of materials, the boots.

I'd have to say when I started collecting 1/6 I learned pretty fast to at minimum have a repair kit, which, probably like a lot of collectors, rapidly expanded to random parts and scouring the 'bay for various 1/6 accessories or parts. And that was just for Hor Toys. And I know plenty of buyers just want to set their fig up and go.

But over the long run, even my most perfect figs; glue dries up, or something needs to get worked on. Having to remove a hat lining is IMO minor compared to the part that's stuck in the guantlet of my pricey new Boba Fett - and that IS unfixable. Not without completely drilling. I've got a message into SSC.

This hobby, stuff happens. Most of my figures show up perfect or need minor tweaking, Gandalf needs a bit more work, but it's not irritating the way I think I way overpaid for Blitzway's Zorro, which was "perfect" but IMO a lot of corners were cut. This Gandalf has the accessories, lavish use of materials, the boots.
Well then consider me lucky because so far I don't have to fix any Hot Toys of mine! 😁 I hope SSC manages to help your issue with Boba!
The thing is, your issue with Boba is more of an individual error, but sadly Gandalf's hat is a mass production error.. but asmus did the right thing by making a plastic one now! That is great news.
Individual errors like that happens of course, in any company. I remember there's a case of broken chaise on deluxe arwen.. maybe that is more comparable with your boba case.
Aside from the individual errors, I don't think it's good if we have to fix a product right out of the box. Over the long run, that is very acceptable, but not right out of the box, especially if the product is a premium, pricey one.
Also, sorry to hear that.. I didn't buy the Blitzway Zorro.. But I got their Lecters and Ghostbusters, and so far none of em require any fixes, I'm good with them as it is. ;)

It's good that asmus will always keep your creative side goin, sassafras! Happy for you. ☺️

Last edited:

I've never had any problems that were noticeable to me with any figure I bought - except the hat with Gandalf. A few figures have had defect issues out the box, but I have always returned them for an exchange of the same product or - in one case - a refund.

I'm colorblind, I have essential tremor, and I'm very busy. I think the level of customization some people can do is great. But a work in progress DIY toy isn't what I'm on board for - not at a price of hundreds of dollars per figure. The quality needs to be acceptable as-is or the purchase isn't happening.

Last edited:
I'm colorblind, I have essential tremor, and I'm very busy.
I hear that.
If the amount of time you’ve spent going into excessive detail to explain every reason why you should be able to purchase a plastic hat doesn’t scream ‘I’m a very busy man’ then I don’t know what does.

I hear that.
If the amount of time you’ve spent going into excessive detail to explain every reason why you should be able to purchase a plastic hat doesn’t scream ‘I’m a very busy man’ then I don’t know what does.
If composing your thoughts in an orderly fashion and typing them takes a long time for you…

Last edited:
Asmus got back to me asking for my preferred payment method - CC or PP, so I have provided my PP email. This is really a good indication they are preparing for the invoices for those who wanted to pay for having the hat shipped to them.
@Asmus many thanks for deciding to offer this option!
Same. They provided a great response adjusting their plan to customer needs. Definitely makes me more likely to order from them in the future.

Please enlighten this blind mole on what I'm missing here.. or lighten up on the resentful whiny rhetoric. You got what you paid for. You got exactly what Asmus was selling, and it didn't meet YOUR expectations. Welcome to the real world.
Awful take, if people are happy with the final product then good for them but this in no way lives up to the protoype whatsoever. It looks like a completely different figure. Nobody got what they saw in those promo pics.

Yes prototypes are prototypes and the final product is subject to changes and dips in quality, but not to this extent.

You can like something and still admit it has faults.

Awful take, if people are happy with the final product then good for them but this in no way lives up to the protoype whatsoever. It looks like a completely different figure. Nobody got what they saw in those promo pics.

Yes prototypes are prototypes and the final product is subject to changes and dips in quality, but not to this extent.

You can like something and still admit it has faults.

Hahah chris.. every single one of your posts is pure hate towards the Gandalf figure and anyone who is satisfied with it. We get that you're not happy with it. I figured we'd stop hearing about it after you sold him..

Do you know what a prototype is? Have you heard of waiting until the production model before making a purchase? Of course the prototype is subject to change and certain details are lost in production. What rock are you guys living under?

I am not trying to convince you its perfect. I don't like how the eyes came out, at all. Am I going to sit here and try to convince everyone Asmus's Gandalf is a travesty? No. Thats ridiculous, much like your never-ending rant.

Last edited:
Hahah chris.. every single one of your posts is pure hate towards the Gandalf figure and anyone who is satisfied with it. We get that you're not happy with it. I figured we'd stop hearing about it after you sold him..

Do you know what a prototype is? Have you heard of waiting until the production model before making a purchase? Of course the prototype is subject to change and certain details are lost in production. What rock are you guys living under?

I am not trying to convince you its perfect. I don't like how the eyes came out, at all. Am I going to sit here and try to convince everyone Asmus's Gandalf is a travesty? No. Thats ridiculous, much like your never-ending rant.
Debating with people isn’t hating on them. But the figure deserves it imo.

Well aware of what a prototype is, thank you, did you read the comment that you’re replying to?

Not gonna stop complaining until Asmus stop disappointing people with the end product. They were until now the only company making licensed products, now they have competition so it’s time to see them step up their game.

Your never ending bootlicking is just as ridiculous.

Well aware of what a prototype is, thank you, did you read the comment that you’re replying to?

I saw your comment.. Your arbitrary opinion of what is allowed or not allowed to change from prototype to production is a perfect example of how disconnected you are. Maybe you should work up a checklist of allowable changes so they can better meet your wants and desires. Be sure to CC everyone so we are all on the same page.

*I want to apologize to everyone else on this thread. This isn't the place for squabbles, I just wanted the quiet masses to know there are opinions other than the 3 people that endlessly bash and whine about this figure and the company. I'm finished getting into reply battles with people who are clearly biased and have nothing better to do than complain. Cheers ya'll

Debating with people isn’t hating on them. But the figure deserves it imo.

Not gonna stop complaining until Asmus stop disappointing people with the end product. They were until now the only company making licensed products, now they have competition so it’s time to see them step up their game.

Your never ending bootlicking is just as ridiculous.
👍

I think a complain is fair when we all see the issue. Gandalf's hat is definitely not as advertised, and it's not that asmus has done their maximum effort and couldn't done any better. The fact that they are fixing the hat in later batches means that they aware that it needs to be fixed, and they should do it at the first place instead of sending a hat that won't sit well on Gandalf's head.
It's not a very complicated issue, apparently they can fix the hat just by removing the inside layer. It's very doable for them and yet they don't do it at the first place. The customer paid premium price, and with that, they shouldn't have to repair it themselves. Point is, their effort to make sure the product is as advertised is questionable. The same issue happened to ash.

If there are only 3 people complaining, asmus won't do such thing as making hundreds of plastic hats for their Gandalf buyers. There are enough complaints to warrant such action, and in the end, both sides wins, the one that complaints got what they want and those who are happy with the hat as it is has options.
The barrage of complaints also made asmus fix their ash, even though there are still issues with the figure due to the company's cutting cost.

If asmus keep doing this, in the long run it will be bad for their own company. They have to make hundreds of plastic hats, they have to send the revised henrietta with proper paintjob and hair, they have to send stickers for the nameplate and box, etc.. and it all costs money, extra money that they don't have to spend if they make sure the end product passed the QC.
Also extra money for people who has to pay shipping for the plastic hat in order to have a proper hat for their premium Gandalf.

Now, asmus is doing the right thing by trying to fix all the issues, but this all can be avoided if they make sure the final product is good in terms of QC, and very close to what they advertised.

Last edited:
Back