Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is a sculpted hat, properly the only way to duplicate the most correct shape of Gandalf's hat after all.
We are still working on how to do this, it is impossible to send one to every buyer for free
(sorry, cannot lie about this)

We will do our best to figure how we can do this in a reasonable option.
I would be happy to pay for a quality hat and corrected set of eyes. I understand you can’t take that financial hit.

If I may, can you offer a corrected staff for those of us that can’t put the pipe in it? Even that, I will pay for if need be but I think that would be the only place Asmus might want to consider a make good to customers who got one that isn’t made correctly.

I've been tempted by this figure since it was announced, but after seeing the issues it has (namely the eyes and hat), I had decided to pass on it.

However, he showed up last night on Sideshow Seconds for 15% off, so I finally took the plunge! After that discount, a SS gift card, and all my RP points, I ordered him for $100.xx shipped! He's already marked as "Preparing to Ship," so hopefully he arrives soon!

I have no intention of getting a full 1/6 scale Fellowship, but it seems to me that Gandalf, Frodo, Aragorn, and Gollum are the "must haves" for a proper LotR collection. I am aware of Asmus's upcoming Gollum/Smeagol figures, but is their 1/6 Frodo still available anywhere for close to original price? And how did their Aragorn figures turn out once people got them in hand? I wasn't impressed at all with their prototypes' face sculpts as they were announced.

F
I've been tempted by this figure since it was announced, but after seeing the issues it has (namely the eyes and hat), I had decided to pass on it.

However, he showed up last night on Sideshow Seconds for 15% off, so I finally took the plunge! After that discount, a SS gift card, and all my RP points, I ordered him for $100.xx shipped! He's already marked as "Preparing to Ship," so hopefully he arrives soon!

I have no intention of getting a full 1/6 scale Fellowship, but it seems to me that Gandalf, Frodo, Aragorn, and Gollum are the "must haves" for a proper LotR collection. I am aware of Asmus's upcoming Gollum/Smeagol figures, but is their 1/6 Frodo still available anywhere for close to original price? And how did their Aragorn figures turn out once people got them in hand? I wasn't impressed at all with their prototypes' face sculpts as they were announced.
Frodo is currently available on the Asmus site. Your mileage may vary on the various Aragorns so far...the Slim Aragorn headsculpt is great if you re-root the hair or wash all the product out and restyle it. However the costume and accessories are unfortunately pretty dated now and all need updating.

InArt are working on a brand new Aragorn so probably best waiting for that as Asmus don't seem to have any plans for a much needed Crown version at the moment.

this is a sculpted hat, properly the only way to duplicate the most correct shape of Gandalf's hat after all.
We are still working on how to do this, it is impossible to send one to every buyer for free

I will certainly purchase a new hat. If you offer, new eyes, I would get those as well. Any update on the Gandalf head sculpt offering?

‘Not possible to send the hat for free’ is probably the wrong phrase to use. It’s absolutely possible, just not optimal or profitable.

Doubt I need a new hat as I’ve bought the InArt figure so there’ll be a decent hat around if I ever want to use it and correcting the colour of the eyes would be a piece of cake. Anyone who wants that fix should totally just give it a go for themselves.

‘Not possible to send the hat for free’ is probably the wrong phrase to use. It’s absolutely possible, just not optimal or profitable.

Doubt I need a new hat as I’ve bought the InArt figure so there’ll be a decent hat around if I ever want to use it and correcting the colour of the eyes would be a piece of cake. Anyone who wants that fix should totally just give it a go for themselves.
Alternatively, many of us aren't artistically inclined at all and really wouldn't have the ability or the confidence to fix this themselves. I would much rather just pay for a set of eyes that are made correctly instead of screwing up the eyes I do have because I've never been a painter.

It looks great. I would definitely order one as well.

I am interested in the hat and eyes combo. Maybe the staff with pipe.

Am I the only one that thinks it would be in poor taste to release a product for $350 with tons of issues then start selling individual pieces that are “fixed” for a profit?

Even Hot Toys didn’t do that with the MK85 Iron Man sculpt.

@Asmus I own the V1 Gtg and would love to upgrade to the newer head along with the sculpted Hat. I was not very happy with the way V1 looks right now but this gives me hope. Please let us know when it releases! Thx.

I lightened up the whites/greys of the eyes a touch, happy enough with the results...

But if they were to become available, i'd be in for new set of improved coloured eye balls as well(y)

View attachment 580481View attachment 580482
Outstanding. What a gigantic difference it makes! Honestly believing now that Asmus could solve this with a new set of properly painted eyeballs. If the only way to make it happen business-wise is we must pay for them, I can live with that.

Am I the only one that thinks it would be in poor taste to release a product for $350 with tons of issues then start selling individual pieces that are “fixed” for a profit?

Even Hot Toys didn’t do that with the MK85 Iron Man sculpt.
If the price is set to cover the cost (versus profit) I guess I can live with that... But yeah, clearly the best PR is just make them and send them out. $350 is high end. Still better than QS’s ridiculous price for their comparable figure. But $350 is a lot of money!

Alternatively, many of us aren't artistically inclined at all and really wouldn't have the ability or the confidence to fix this themselves. I would much rather just pay for a set of eyes that are made correctly instead of screwing up the eyes I do have because I've never been a painter.
I think the mindset that one needs to be artistically inclined to do this or any number of extremely basic fixes/mods is holding a lot of people back.
If one has the dexterity to write with a pen, then they can apply a lighter colour to Gandalf’s eyes.
They’re thoroughly caked in gloss clear coat as well so any fumbles into the iris should rub right off without any damage.

Skill isn’t a huge factor here so I’m tilted more towards the ‘I shouldn’t have to or can’t be bothered to waste my time, effort and resources to fix an expensive figure’ argument.

I think the mindset that one needs to be artistically inclined to do this or any number of extremely basic fixes/mods is holding a lot of people back.
If one has the dexterity to write with a pen, then they can apply a lighter colour to Gandalf’s eyes.
They’re thoroughly caked in gloss clear coat as well so any fumbles into the iris should rub right off without any damage.

Skill isn’t a huge factor here so I’m tilted more towards the ‘I shouldn’t have to or can’t be bothered to waste my time, effort and resources to fix an expensive figure’ argument.
I’m just going to be honest with you, it is a skill thing for me. I have absolutely zero problem futzing or tweaking figures to get them to look great. I don’t expect things to be perfect out of the box. I like working with them to get figures looking exactly how I want it.

I’m also fairly handy, I painted my entire house myself and know how to fix a handful of things. But when it comes to an expensive collectible I have no desire to try and repaint anything. If I screw up, it’s not like I can just get another one when they’re usually sold out and even if I can, why would I want to risk spending another $300+ because I made the mistake.

I honestly just have no desire to try fixing it solely because I don’t want to screw it up. If Asmus willing to offer a reasonably priced fix, I’m willing to put the time in to popping the eyeballs out and getting new ones in. I just don’t want to be the cause of an error I can’t fix.

Back