Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone is obviously entitled to their own personal taste, opinion, and judgement for everything related to this hobby. But I don’t care what anyone says, at least for my taste the sclera of the eyeballs in this case is way too dark gray for a 1/6 figure display. For a repaint the whites of the eyeballs should be a warm or off white shade rather than pure white. I think eventually I’m going to go ahead and take the plunge and attempt to repaint the eyes using a Testor’s enamel paint for plastic model kits. Plus a clear coat. I just need to get the color right. I may need to mix a few test samples. But something in the white family for sure!

I don’t want to belabor the point but again, just look at how much better the eyes look with the proper touch up. I’m sorry, but this is like night and day.

Btw, this is what the guy said he did to achieve the effect:

View attachment 579771

Versus this:

View attachment 579773
we are working on the hat at the moment

View attachment 580403
Wow!!! Thank you for sharing ! I would like one too.

His hat is most definitely light blue with a hint of dusty, sunbleached grey. This is what it looks like behind the scenes in all it's unfiltered and uncolour graded glory.

Also, the Weta Gandalf statues always have it painted blue and they own the actual prop so...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220524-123509_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220524-123509_YouTube.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220524-123427_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220524-123427_YouTube.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 0
  • BDZy-lHCQAAFpQ-.jpg_large.jpg
    BDZy-lHCQAAFpQ-.jpg_large.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 0
  • The-Lord-of-the-Rings-Statue-16-Gandalf-the-Grey-Pilgrim-Classic-Series-36-cm-12233.jpg
    The-Lord-of-the-Rings-Statue-16-Gandalf-the-Grey-Pilgrim-Classic-Series-36-cm-12233.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220524-123451_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220524-123451_YouTube.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 0
Man, if Asmus sends us new eyeballs and a hat that fits the figure will be nearly perfect. The issue of clothing being a bit stiff is solvable by the steps @Kalkylen described. Thanks @Kalkylen! (Myself, when I get around to doing this I’ll probably leave out step 9 and leave the robe hems as they are. But that’s just a personal preference.)

Post in thread 'Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray'

Imho Asmus would then clearly have the superior figure compared with QS (at least based on the latter figure’s photos thus far). Except for the eyes the face of Asmus’ head sculpt is spot on and the hair and beard (with some taming) are incredible. All the other attention to detail is topflight. The only issue might then be the clothing not draping as realistically as possible, but as mentioned there’s a relatively easy fix for that.

Last edited:
Yes, Asmus really did put out an excellent base figure but like most 1/6th figures, it just needs a little work to come alive. Just tweaking the drape on the clothes, doing the wire in the hat mod and taming the hair and beard works wonders and are all very easy fixes. I guess some people just want it looking like a prototype straight out of the box and that is InArt's selling point, however their hat and cloak are the wrong colour and the sculpt (minus the eyes, paint and beard) doesn't even look like McKellen as far as I'm concerned.
Man, if Asmus sends us new eyeballs and a hat that fits the figure will be nearly perfect. The issue of clothing being a bit stiff is solvable by the steps @Kalkylen described. Thanks @Kalkylen! (Myself, when I get around to doing this I’ll probably leave out step 9 and leave the robe hems as they are. But that’s just a personal preference.)

Post in thread 'Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray'

Imho Asmus would then clearly have the superior figure compared with QS (at least based on that figure’s photos thus far). Except for the eyes the face of Asmus’ head sculpt is spot on and the hair and beard are incredible. All the other attention to detail is topflight. The only issue might then be the clothing not draping as realistically as possible, but as mentioned there’s a relatively easy fix for that.

I will sure pass on the concern to my supervisor at the production.
Just to make sure. We are not saying eyes have to be snow-white, but the dark grey colour takes away the likeness. That was the point. And you already painted many figures with no unhappiness about their eye colour.
Thank you for the communication and continuous improvement.

Looks so much better. Seems almost a shame to release the individual head sculpt now without updating the eyes first... any chance of correcting it before release @Asmus?

this is a sculpted hat, properly the only way to duplicate the most correct shape of Gandalf's hat after all.
We are still working on how to do this, it is impossible to send one to every buyer for free
(sorry, cannot lie about this)

We will do our best to figure how we can do this in a reasonable option.

this is a sculpted hat, properly the only way to duplicate the most correct shape of Gandalf's hat after all.
We are still working on how to do this, it is impossible to send one to every buyer for free
(sorry, cannot lie about this)

We will do our best to figure how we can do this in a reasonable option.

Understandable- I would definitely buy the hat.

My hat is not working. I think I got the first wave hat- it sits very oddly on his head, I can't even see his face, and the magnets (while a great idea in theory) prevent me from pushing it farther back on his head.

Adding photos

Here's what he looks like in the cabinet- he's pretty high up and I still can't see his face, he looks like he is trying to hide...

52127516779_906627f507_c.jpg

Despite this issue, I do like him a lot. I love the hair and beard, and the sculpt. I think the coloring of his face is really good. The eyes are a little deep but they are so small in hand it's hard to notice. The costume looks great and I think it will look even better once I follow some of the suggestions about weathering more...

Last edited:
Back