Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I?m still waiting for mine.
I was a day 1 preorder.

I ordered mine from Asmus in May 2020 still waiting for my invoice.
In the meantime I saw that another US online store has them in stock.
I didn?t want to risk being part of some end of the year batch with Asmus so I put in an order with the other place two days ago.
Now my Gandalf from that store will be here on Tuesday and I am still waiting for an invoice from Asmus.
Not sure why Asmus thought it was more important to send figures to retailers to sell cold than to fill preorders for people who paid Asmus deposits, but that?s exactly what they did.
I didn?t have a preorder with the other place just logged on, bought it as an in stock item, and it?s already on the way.
So now stores like that one are just sitting on in stock Crown Gandalf figures while people with preorders from Asmus are still waiting for invoices. Somebody make it make sense.

I ordered mine from Asmus in May 2020 still waiting for my invoice.
In the meantime I saw that another US online store has them in stock.
I didn?t want to risk being part of some end of the year batch with Asmus so I put in an order with the other place two days ago.
Now my Gandalf from that store will be here on Tuesday and I am still waiting for an invoice from Asmus.
Not sure why Asmus thought it was more important to send figures to retailers to sell cold than to fill preorders for people who paid Asmus deposits, but that?s exactly what they did.
I didn?t have a preorder with the other place just logged on, bought it as an in stock item, and it?s already on the way.
So now stores like that one are just sitting on in stock Crown Gandalf figures while people with preorders from Asmus are still waiting for invoices. Somebody make it make sense.

Where in the world are you?
I think it?s because I?m in Ireland.
Although I did email them to request DHL shipping when they started to ship the figure.

Where in the world are you?
I think it?s because I?m in Ireland.
Although I did email them to request DHL shipping when they started to ship the figure.

I?m in the United States.
Even better, I put the figure in my cart and went to bed to sleep on whether I should buy it or just patiently wait for my invoice.
When I woke up the retailer sent one of those emails that said we see you left something in your cart, here?s a five percent off coupon to help you make up your mind.
Not only are they sitting on Gandalfs but they are willing to offer discounts to get them out the door. A small one, but a discount is a discount.
So absolutely nothing to show for panicking that Gandalf was sold out everywhere except Asmus at the time, and letting them sit on my deposit money for almost a year.
I love Asmus, but foolishness is foolishness.

I?m in the United States.
Even better, I put the figure in my cart and went to bed to sleep on whether I should buy it or just patiently wait for my invoice.
When I woke up the retailer sent one of those emails that said we see you left something in your cart, here?s a five percent off coupon to help you make up your mind.
Not only are they sitting on Gandalfs but they are willing to offer discounts to get them out the door. A small one, but a discount is a discount.
So absolutely nothing to show for panicking that Gandalf was sold out everywhere except Asmus at the time, and letting them sit on my deposit money for almost a year.
I love Asmus, but foolishness is foolishness.

Oh that is cool that you got a coupon!
What retailer was that?
Yeah I?m not sure what?s going on haha.
I also have the three other new releases from Asmus on order and haven?t received an invoice haha

Oh that is cool that you got a coupon!
What retailer was that?
Yeah I?m not sure what?s going on haha.
I also have the three other new releases from Asmus on order and haven?t received an invoice haha

EKIA Hobbies. They?re pretty great. I?ve ordered a bunch of sixth scale stuff from them in the past.
Last I saw it looked like they were only down to a few left in stock.

It was just a 1.8mm cool white LED. I first drilled a hole straight down, then heated up the staff enough that I could easily slice down the back so I could fit the thin wrapping wires inside. Then I sealed it back up again with putty.

Thank you for the description but... did you hide the power supply in the base? I would think the staff too thin to hold it?
Still drooling over your awesome makeover!

That?s cool dude, thanks for letting me know.
I?ll have a look but might not order from there, but good to know for future purchases.

My pleasure! EKIA is usually good for hard to find stuff that?s sold out in a lot of other places.

Thank you for the description but... did you hide the power supply in the base? I would think the staff too thin to hold it?
Still drooling over your awesome makeover!

No the wires go through the outfit and out the back to a power adapter. You can kind of see them coming out the side there in the full figure pic.

Is everyone getting the pipe in a separate little plastic bag outside the box? I just got mine from BBTS that is what I have. Asmus must have realized an error and corrected it. I hope they would consider sending out separate functional hats as well.

Is everyone getting the pipe in a separate little plastic bag outside the box? I just got mine from BBTS that is what I have. Asmus must have realized an error and corrected it. I hope they would consider sending out separate functional hats as well.

My pipe came inserted in the staff. No separate bag for it.

No the wires go through the outfit and out the back to a power adapter. You can kind of see them coming out the side there in the full figure pic.

Ah Ha...now i see them - very clever!
Thank you so much for the inspiration, and sharing your skills+knowledge with us.

I didn't even get a pipe at all! I saw your message and looked for a bag, but there?s nothing!

Also, the shouldn?t the staff that holds pipe have a hole to slip the pipe through? I can see the groove in the staff, where the pipe is meant to rest, but there?s no hole for a pipe to slip through... And no pipe! Argh!

I got the baggy too. I wasn't sure what it was at first and left it in the box.

Gandalf arrived from BBTS! Hat and base issues are still there. Otherwise I dig him. His eyes look great to me. I futzed with his hair a little. I am pretty damn happy with Gandalf myself. IMG_8996a.jpg

I didn't even get a pipe at all! I saw your message and looked for a bag, but there?s nothing!

Also, the shouldn?t the staff that holds pipe have a hole to slip the pipe through? I can see the groove in the staff, where the pipe is meant to rest, but there?s no hole for a pipe to slip through... And no pipe! Argh!

Here are a couple of pics of where the pipe fits within the staff. I pulled out the pipe some on the second pic so that it can perhaps be seen better.

GtG pipe on staff 2.jpg
GtG pipe on staff 1.jpg

I'm not off to a great start. I received the figure today, the back of his hair is glued on half sideways, none of the pegs for his stand actually fit at all. The two fence posts barely fit inside the holes and wobble about unsecured - and they just fall right over. The mailbox peg is literally too small to fit into the base so it just falls right over once you plug it into the base. The book is glued completely shut and I look at my staffs for the pipe and no pipe? I looked in the box, the table, everywhere and nothing. Then I looked at videos on youtube where it seems to show a hole in the top where the pipe is supposed to go. My non glow staff does not have that. There is no area for the pipe to slide into it seems. Theres just a little peg that hangs off to the side. Forgive me if I'm unaware of there being two versions of this figure but I didn't realize if that's the case if it is. The pipe also isn't shown in the instructions either.

Picture of staff on youtube:
staff.JPG

I believe this is the areas where there should be a hole that the pipe slides into. shot of where there is no hole for pipe to slide into. No pipe.

169023020_288312822820190_9212794900120204743_n.jpg

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpg
    image0 (1).jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 152
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 148
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 149
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 150
I'm not off to a great start. I received the figure today, the back of his hair is glued on half sideways, none of the pegs for his stand actually fit at all. The two fence posts barely fit inside the holes and wobble about unsecured - and they just fall right over. The mailbox peg is literally too small to fit into the base so it just falls right over once you plug it into the base. The book is glued completely shut and I look at my staffs for the pipe and no pipe? I looked in the box, the table, everywhere and nothing. Then I looked at videos on youtube where it seems to show a hole in the top where the pipe is supposed to go. My non glow staff does not have that. There is no area for the pipe to slide into it seems. Theres just a little peg that hangs off to the side. Forgive me if I'm unaware of there being two versions of this figure but I didn't realize if that's the case if it is. The pipe also isn't shown in the instructions either.

Picture of staff on youtube:
View attachment 510067

I believe this is the areas where there should be a hole that the pipe slides into. shot of where there is no hole for pipe to slide into. No pipe.

View attachment 510072

Send that thing back and have them send you another one.

Got mine from BBTS today and have this same thing. Interesting.

Asmus really needs to make the hat situation right. I'll pay as long as they don't price gouge on it. I know the hair is magnificent on this figure but Gandalf needs his hat. It's too iconic of a look.

Here are a couple of pics of where the pipe fits within the staff. I pulled out the pipe some on the second pic so that it can perhaps be seen better.

View attachment 510065
View attachment 510066

Thanks for the pic! That?s exactly where I expected to see the pipe, but there is no pipe and no hole. I sent an email to BBTS, hopefully I can get a replacement without sending the whole figure back... Because I don?t really want to go that far.

Back