Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whomever is in charge of production, in regards to how the factory is completing the figures and specifically the accessories, needs to either be retrained or replaced.

The last two figures that I received, Faramir and now "Crown" Gandalf the Grey, are both suffering from what should have been easily caught issues. What is most frustrating is that one can see improvements with each figure but also some slip-ups that should have been caught early on in production, at the latest.

Now I'm concerned regarding Galadriel and the two prologue Elves...

My shipping updated so now my Gandalf will be arriving tomorrow from the US retail store...and still waiting for my invoice from Asmus...good thing I preordered from Asmus a year ago...

I found my pipe baggy, it flew under the table when I took the box out of the shipper. Thanks for the heads up on that being in the shipper.

So I've been futzing with him the last hour and here are my thoughts.

Things that I like:

Most of all its his presence. He does command a very great presence especially at a distance.

The clothes. The clothes look pretty great but they do need a bit of futzing. Outside of that I don't know if I'll be doing the water method just yet or not.

The accessories. While there aren't too many accessories the book is cool (mine doesn't open is it supposed to?), and the sword and staffs are nice.

The hair and beard. These were executed much better than any other mainstream release I've seen to date. The glue job is messy in areas however, so depending on how lucky you get with yours your mileage will vary. Mine really isn't that great.

The paint and sometimes the face on certain angles in very particular light. He looks very good lit on a 45 degree angle top down with rim lighting. He has to be shot from the side or 3/4 angle or looking downward to look good IMO.

The packaging. The packaging was really nice and almost what you'd expect from a hot toys DX figure.

The details/grass on the base without any accessories on it.

Things I dislike or even at times hate:

The eyes. I've already said this many times on the thread why I hate them I think everyone knows well enough about that lol. But yeah, due to the eyes its very hard to find angles and lighting where he looks good. Between the gloss, the upper eyebrow sharp cuts on the sculpt(especially eye to your right), and the distance they are set back it just really becomes a challenge

The mustache. The mustache looks like total garbage close up. I'm not sure how they woulda made it look realistic while still being cost efficient, but damn close up it is UGLY. I will include a close up of the mustache on my particular figure.

The hat. The hat for the same reason everyone else hates the hat. I don't know wtf they were thinking.

The base. The base could have been great but the mailbox peg is too small and does not plug into the base it just falls over. The fence posts barely fit into their peg holes and flop over. The stand its extremely stiff to adjust. It's just a complete mess I don't have any idea how this passed QC.

The body. The body is especially loose on mine and I can only imagine how much worse it'll get with time.

The eyes.

Overall: I'd give this figure a 7/10 when I'm factoring in the price. QC really shouldn't be this big of a problem on a premium series figure. I've really never had an experience quite like this on day 1 with a figure before. My particular piece the base is almost completely non functional out of the box, The paint on the staffs is so-so, the eyes are a big problem, the body is super loose and flimsy, the arms and hands don't support the heavy sword very well either IMO. There really was an overwhelming feeling while unboxing him that this figure was rushed despite the delay. A lot of features felt slapped together without any well thought-out engineering.

Putting all of that aside I still do enjoy the figure and I'm happy to have him so far. He really does command quite a presence even with his sombrero on as long as he's posed well and looking downward/looked at from a few feet higher from where he's displayed. I imagine myself holding on to him and not selling him. It just might take me a little while to feel less buh-hurt about the obvious gripes.

davejames I stole your pose as I it's the best I had seem him look thus far and while futzing with him. :wink1:

3D2A7696-1.jpg
3D2A7668-1.jpg
mustache.JPG

I found my pipe baggy, it flew under the table when I took the box out of the shipper. Thanks for the heads up on that being in the shipper.

Things that I like:

Most of all its his presence. He does command a very great presence especially at a distance.

The clothes. The clothes look pretty great but they do need a bit of futzing. Outside of that I don't know if I'll be doing the water method just yet or not.

The accessories. While there aren't too many accessories the book is cool (mine doesn't open is it supposed to?), and the sword and staffs are nice.

The hair and beard. These were executed much better than any other mainstream release I've seen to date. The glue job is messy in areas however, so depending on how lucky you get with yours your mileage will vary. Mine really isn't that great.

The paint and sometimes the face on certain angles in very particular light. He looks very good lit on a 45 degree angle top down with rim lighting. He has to be shot from the side or 3/4 angle or looking downward to look good IMO.

The packaging. The packaging was really nice and almost what you'd expect from a hot toys DX figure.

The eyes. I've already said this many times on the thread why I hate them I think everyone knows well enough about that lol. But yeah, due to the eyes its very hard to find angles and lighting where he looks good. Between the gloss, the upper eyebrow sharp cuts on the sculpt(especially eye to your right), and the distance they are set back it just really becomes a challenge

The mustache. The mustache looks like total garbage close up. I'm not sure how they woulda made it look realistic while still being cost efficient, but damn close up it is UGLY. I will include a close up of the mustache on my particular figure.

The hat. The hat for the same reason everyone else hates the hat. I don't know wtf they were thinking.

The base. The base could have been great but the mailbox peg is too small and does not plug into the base it just falls over. The fence posts barely fit into their peg holes and flop over. The stand its extremely stiff to adjust. It's just a complete mess I don't have any idea how this passed QC.

The body. The body is especially loose on mine and I can only imagine how much worse it'll get with time.

The eyes.

Overall: I'd give this figure a 7/10 when I'm factoring in the price. QC really shouldn't be this big of a problem on a premium series figure. I've really never had an experience quite like this on day 1 with a figure before. My particular piece the base is almost completely non functional out of the box, The paint on the staffs is so-so, the eyes are a big problem, the body is super loose and flimsy, the arms and hands don't support the heavy sword very well either IMO. There really was an overwhelming feeling while unboxing him that this figure was rushed despite the delay. A lot of features felt slapped together without any well thought-out engineering.

Putting all of that aside I still do enjoy the figure and I'm happy to have him so far. He really does command quite a presence even with his sombrero on as long as he's posed well and looking downward/looked at from a few feet higher from where he's displayed. I imagine myself holding on to him and not selling him. It just might take me a little while to feel less buh-hurt about the obvious gripes.

davejames I stole your pose as I it's the best I had seem him look thus far and while futzing with him. :wink1:

View attachment 510096
View attachment 510097
View attachment 510098
Interestingly, in this extreme close up, the eyes don't look so bad while the mustache is terrible... This is indeed the first photo of Crown Gandalf where I can notice how badly that very portion of mustache is implemented.
Is it the same for other people who own it?

Inviato dal mio Pixel 2 XL utilizzando Tapatalk

Interestingly, in this extreme close up, the eyes don't look so bad while the mustache is terrible... This is indeed the first photo of Crown Gandalf where I can notice how badly that very portion of mustache is implemented.
Is it the same for other people who own it?

The eyes aren't so bad as long as you do two things. Do not let light hit them directly otherwise he looks like someone just ran over his dog, and use a reflector to keep them completely out of shadow so he doesn't look absolutely terrifying like Michael Myers.

Your review is spot on.

It looks like you have Gandalf storming Bag End, though. Poor Bilbo!

lmfao it does look that way doesn't it :lol

I'm glad I don't sound crazy thank you. I rarely ever have many negative comments about the 1/6 figures I've purchased either if any at all. This is just one of those figures...

The eyes aren't so bad as long as you do two things. Do not let light hit them directly otherwise he looks like someone just ran over his dog, and use a reflector to keep them completely out of shadow so he doesn't look absolutely terrifying like Michael Myers.
Lmao you killed me [emoji1787]

Despite all the issues it looks like you still got him looking pretty damn good there Agentbutterman! Keeping the eyes in shadow is definitely the way to go.

I agree though about the flimsy body. The next time I pose mine with the sword I'm going to need to try switching out the wrist pegs, as mine were way too loose to hold up the sword for very long.

Jeez, what a rollercoaster waiting for this thing to arrive. Mine should be here Tuesday. Will it come with a pipe? Will the stand fit together?

How the hell is Asmus selling this as a premium figure, but this is the worst quality body they've used for a figure yet? I didn't set mine up yet but hearing the body is that flimsy from so many people, that makes me angry. I understand they tried a lot of new things on this figure and there were going to be some imperfections. But a crappy body is just inexcusable.

I got into sixth scale to collect Lord of the Rings figures but never bought any until last year because I hated Asmus sculpts so much. Finally decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and bought Eomer and Theoden, I loved them and ended up going further into the line. Was elated to be getting a premium Gandalf and figured they'd be launching their brand into new territory with it, but some of the issues with this figure, and particularly Asmus continued silence on them, is really starting to make me wonder if I made a mistake.

I don't even have the space to display my Gandalf at the minute and was going to keep him in the box until I figured something out, now I feel like I need to rush him out of the box in case there's issues with mine.

This should be a time of excitement for LOTR collectors and Asmus fans. Feels like the opposite.

lmfao it does look that way doesn't it :lol

I'm glad I don't sound crazy thank you. I rarely ever have many negative comments about the 1/6 figures I've purchased either if any at all. This is just one of those figures...

Your words say 7 out of 10 but your pictures say 10 out of 10.

Things that I like:

The eyes.

View attachment 510096
View attachment 510097
View attachment 510098

Nice review!

I've not got into the LOTR line but i'm very tempted to pick up this Gandalf piece as a standalone representation for the trilogy.

The figure does look fantastic from a distance...but seeing that poorly executed moustache on yours is making me think twice...
Is it like that on everyone's?

I might luck-out and get one that looks ok but it's a lot of money to gamble on:(

Superb work as always davejames

20210401_191754 (2).jpg

I messed with the hat on mine and it seemed to hep with it a little. At least for me to be happy with it.IMG_9003b.jpg

This should be a time of excitement for LOTR collectors and Asmus fans. Feels like the opposite.

Mine arrived yesterday but I haven?t had a chance to open it yet.
But to each their own I guess. I?m a huge LOTR and Asmus fan and I am very excited, even in spite of all of the issues out there.
Worst case scenario for Gandalf still makes it one of the year?s best sixth scale releases, Galadriel turned out great and is on the way to me right now!
Great time to be an Asmus LOTR fan if you ask me.

How the hell is Asmus selling this as a premium figure, but this is the worst quality body they've used for a figure yet? I didn't set mine up yet but hearing the body is that flimsy from so many people, that makes me angry. I understand they tried a lot of new things on this figure and there were going to be some imperfections. But a crappy body is just inexcusable.

I got into sixth scale to collect Lord of the Rings figures but never bought any until last year because I hated Asmus sculpts so much. Finally decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and bought Eomer and Theoden, I loved them and ended up going further into the line. Was elated to be getting a premium Gandalf and figured they'd be launching their brand into new territory with it, but some of the issues with this figure, and particularly Asmus continued silence on them, is really starting to make me wonder if I made a mistake.

I don't even have the space to display my Gandalf at the minute and was going to keep him in the box until I figured something out, now I feel like I need to rush him out of the box in case there's issues with mine.

I'm more bummed hearing about sloppy or sideways hair application. Thought that was kinda the point with a Crown figure, VERY CAREFUL hair work with great hair. The floppy body thing is kinda annoying to read about as well; bodies should be able to pose and hold the accessories.

But my Gandalf will take a while to get in; from SSC. Worst case; back it goes; I own V1 anyway which I am pretty happy with.

Feeling very lucky that mine doesn't seem to have any QC issues. I love this thing. He's been sitting on my desk in my home office area for the past several days and I find myself having a hard time focusing on work because I keep fiddling with him. :lol

Back