Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember pre-ordering this from Asmus, within 15 minutes of it going live, I think there was only 3 pictures out of it at that time...

Here I still wait for my invoice :(

Really excited to receive this, but damn, I aint paying that $160 EXTRA to get it shipped to the UK right now. How come I can pay Day1 ?25 extra to ship Mando Deluxe via DHL, must be roughly the same size box and weight.

Yeah that was the same price I was quoted. That?s $100 more because it?s coming from Taiwan.
Anything I?ve got from HK or China cost me $60, that includes Mando Deluxe.
Wonder if Asmus for that price can group figures.

After some adjustments (granted you shouldn't have to), I love his hat!

Can you do a step by step of how you got the hat to go from unusable to amazing ?

Custom hat done by Jungle Chen. Kind of sad to see it next to the one Asmus included. I wish someone would do a run of better hats like this one.

Unfortunately I am not feeling the sombrero Gandalf.

Thank you guys for the kind words...
Your wish is my command!

Step #1- remove the bottom patch, and all the interior stuffing/magnet (save the foam and patch).
(I also used a pair of thread scissors to remove as much of the extra material around the outside of the
interior hem line without cutting the thread.
this very tiny amount of fabric will be different on all hats so may not be necessary on yours,
but it does make a tiny bit more room :wink1:

Step #2- soak the hat in warm (not hot) water.

Step #3- stretch the opening by inserting your fingers, and pulling outward as hard as you think the fabric can take,
moving around & around as you go. The fabric is quite strong and can withstand a lot.
I repeated steps 2 & 3 a few times. Finish by pulling out from the inside, on the front and back at the same time.
This causes the brim to drop over his eyes and back of his head- sort of like a folded tortilla.

pull out.jpg

Step #4- I took a blunted nail and poked it up into the tip of the hat, to push it out to a point as much as possible
(be very careful not to poke a hole through it!)

Step #5- I pushed/jammed the foam back in -all the way to the tip.

Step #6- After carefully studying pics of the hat from the film, I bent the nail with some pliers to my desired shape.
nailed it.jpg

Step #7- With the hat still wet, I then inserted the nail as far in as i could, pushing it into the foam, and the foam into the tip
of the hat.
(this kind of holds it in place)

Step #8-Using plastic wrap (a sandwich baggie), carefully stuffed/packed it in - quite tight, around the nail to hold it in place.
stuffed plastic.jpg

Step #9- I then pushed the patch back in to hold everything in place.
(and to protect that precious hair)
reinserted patch.jpg

If you do it right the hat will sit very low, allowing you to tilt it back to reveal the eyes,
and have that iconic look from the film.
low rider.jpg oh yeah!.jpg
Good luck!

Thanks for the step by step scumonkey. Very innovative, I may actually just end up doing this instead. My original plan was to remove the patch, stuff the hat with aluminum foil to hopefully be able to shape it, and then end by putting a cotton ball in there to protect the head. I feel like your plan with the extra steps like water treatment will look better long term though.

Mine shipped from BBTS along with Gimli and Bilbo that had been waiting a long while in pile of loot. Can’t wait to see Mithrandir in person.

Custom hat done by Jungle Chen. Kind of sad to see it next to the one Asmus included. I wish someone would do a run of better hats like this one.

Unfortunately I am not feeling the sombrero Gandalf.

Yep. Definitely a sombrero. That hat almost gives the stock version a run for its money in the race to see which is the worst hat. Think I would actually be more likely to use the terrible stock hat than that even worse version.

Well for what it's worth, here's my Gandalf after a bunch of modding I did over the last couple weeks. I sculpted new eyes over the existing ones, retouched the paint to emphasize the wrinkles some more and create a more subtle transition around the beard and hairline, gave him some rooted eyebrows and a mustache that flared out a bit more, added extra weathering to the outfit, and frayed the ends of the outer cloak like it was in the movie.

I then threw together a pretty basic Moria-style base, just to have something that kinda suggested that environment. And finally I inserted an LED into the staff so I could have it light up. I realize in closeups the crystal had more of a warm white color, but I really preferred the cool white CGI glow they added to the distance shots. :)

20210401_191754 (2).jpg

20210401_185215 (2).jpg

20210401_185423 (3).jpg

20210401_192538 (2).jpg

20210401_192010 (2).jpg

Thanks guys. The base was just sculped with self-hardening clay, applied over an old SoosooToys stand I wasn't using. Then it was just a matter of dry brushing and sprinkling some model railroad dirt over it.

(The axe was borrowed from my old Sideshow Buffy figure.)

That's one of your best yet, davejames. Perfect execution.

May I ask what you did to the eyes? They look great! As does everything, all the details -- the creases in the robe, the way you got the hair, the base -- everything really works together seamlessly. But its those eyes and eyebrows that really pop for me. Especially works with the pose -- very determined with that wise old glare.

Back