Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was having second thoughts about getting this too and then surprisingly I got notice from BBTS today. Guess I'm keeping him for now, I just hope there is some way to salvage the hat. Based on pics and commentary I'm just not as excited as I was before, I kinda feel like paying someone to unbox and set him up for me :lol

Well I've come to the decision I have to sell my figure. I like it and all and it's definitley one of Asmus best but I have to let it go. If anyone wants it pm me I'll sell it for the same price I paid. It's only been about 4-5 weeks sense I got it.

I don't see any point in it now. What are they going to do, "Hey sorry some of you think this sucks." This thing is in full production and many have been shipped already. The vast majority of cost was in hairing the head, there's no simple fix here. Tons of hours on each head that are already done. This is the product.

I'll continue to say my opinion, I've seen every pic on this thread of the eye 'issue' and I don't see a problem at all and can't wait to get this figure in.

I am still extremely excited for this figure. For the most part I'm quite happy with what I've been seeing, but I really think this is one you gotta have in person to totally decide. A lot of it comes down to how well it's futzed. If I get it and I dislike it, I can always sell it off to someone else. Even with some flaws though this is still a pretty cool release to me and there hasn't been a newly released pose-able figure that's gotten me this excited in a while. Last one was probably Hot Toy's 1/4 Darth Vader.

Plus as I have said previously, the hat seems to be the biggest issue but I still have plans to try and make it work that I've yet to see anybody else try. :dunno

When I get mine in hand I'll make sure to share my thoughts and photos like everybody else. Hopefully next week? I am getting it shipped via DHL to Canada so I am expecting it to come quick assuming BBTS doesn't take forever to get it on its way to me.

I don't see any point in it now. What are they going to do, "Hey sorry some of you think this sucks." This thing is in full production and many have been shipped already. The vast majority of cost was in hairing the head, there's no simple fix here. Tons of hours on each head that are already done. This is the product.

I'll continue to say my opinion, I've seen every pic on this thread of the eye 'issue' and I don't see a problem at all and can't wait to get this figure in.

They could put out a post simply addressing it and saying they will look into improving for future figures. It has too many major issues for the price tag. The eyes being the worst part then the hat.

Yeah if we could just get some assurance that they're aware of the eye issue and won't be incorporating it into future figures, that would be fine with me. I'm not expecting them to offer improved Gandalf heads or anything like that.

I just got my email from BigBadToyStore for this. I'm unfamiliar with their process. Do I need to pay or will it simply be sent ? (can't remember if I paid up front or not).

email doesn't really say. How does the payment process work then ??

Plus as I have said previously, the hat seems to be the biggest issue but I still have plans to try and make it work that I've yet to see anybody else try. :dunno

I'm curious to see what you come up with. Even after getting the hat to sit lower on the head it still looks distractingly bad to me. And of course the nicer you get the rest of the figure looking, the cheaper the hat seems to look in comparison.

I think the main problem is just with the shape and how it doesn't curve up to a point like it should, but instead just has this ugly flap in the back. I'm tempted to try sculpting a whole new hat and see if that works any better.

I'm curious to see what you come up with. Even after getting the hat to sit lower on the head it still looks distractingly bad to me. And of course the nicer you get the rest of the figure looking, the cheaper the hat seems to look in comparison.

I think the main problem is just with the shape and how it doesn't curve up to a point like it should, but instead just has this ugly flap in the back. I'm tempted to try sculpting a whole new hat and see if that works any better.

If Dave can't fix the hat I doubt it can be fixed. I'll have to get used to the idea of displaying him without wearing it probably. Should still look good next to Saruman. Still disappointing though.

I just got my email from BigBadToyStore for this. I'm unfamiliar with their process. Do I need to pay or will it simply be sent ? (can't remember if I paid up front or not).

I received two emails from them, one saying my pre-order arrived then another saying my CC was declined because of the expiration date, so I imagine if you still needed to pay for it, they'd let you know.

They could put out a post simply addressing it and saying they will look into improving for future figures. It has too many major issues for the price tag. The eyes being the worst part then the hat.

I think the eyes only look bad super close up, pictures taken from more than a foot or two away from the figure seem to be fine. The hat is just inexcusable though. The eyes, sure, they tried something new, I'll give them credit for that. A for effort, not-A in execution. Don't do it again on future releases. The hat, it's just not ok that the previous version of the hat is better than the new, premium version. Very easy to get that right.

I do hope Asmus is considering offering a replacement hat (for purchase is fine) and that's part of the reason they've been silent on the issue.

As soon as it hits they charge your payment method on file. It either goes in your pile of loot if you have it set to or goes to the shipping dept. I sent my POL to ship this morning after it hit.

Got my invoice and email from bbts too! Really can't wait. After everything people have shown, pointed out negatives, I still believe this is a steal at this retail price!

:banghead I get my stuff delivered to my job so I don’t have to worry about porch pirates. I got my Gandalf today, buuuut I left it at work. Ugh.

This was posted on the Asmus FB page. Asmus Toys is excited to take our fans on a ride back to Middle-Earth this April. We will have fresh shipping items, Qbitz announcements, and new 1/6th characters in both standard and exclusive versions.

Last edited:
Good to hear that many of you are finally getting your figure shipped and some have received them.

I'm curious to hear other opinions of the set and some additional honest reviews.

As I previously posted, this figure is amazing, no doubt, and properly futzed will be the 1/6 figure highlight in any collection.

It is also what makes it even more frustrating. The issues could have easily been avoided with some additional attention during the prototype phase of development. In my case, additional care could have been taken when placing the head sculpt in its box. Add in the cost factor and it only adds to the frustration.

I had issues with Faramir, as well. But on the flip side, Gimli and Boromir were fantastic straight out of the box. I don't understand the inconsistency.

Quick pic of Gandalf. I haven't completed the futzing, specifically with this hair and beard, but at least I brought it a bit more under control. I also carefully balanced the mailbox for the pic. It quickly fell over, shortly after taking the pic...

Crown GtG 1 sm.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

I haven’t commented much on this head sculpt since I didn’t have mine. Commenting on the head sculpt alone for right now. I pulled the sculpt out at work and looked at it pretty well. I think the hubbub about the eyes being set too deep is blown way out of proportion. I think it’s barely noticeable. I think the sculpt and hair and beard work is fantastic. The only thing I will agree with about the sculpt is the eyes are a bit too glossy. I wonder if it would be possible to tone down the gloss a bit with dullcote? I wonder if it would interact in a bad way with the sculpt at all? Will comment more when I get it home and assembled.

By ordering direct from Asmus, I am unable to receive the figure still. They want an extra $60 USD to ship EMS to Canada.....

$60?! Pfff, for other figures from them it's only been $20. Yeah, definitely cancelling my second order there now. Even if I lose the NRD, it's not worth the hassle of trying to sell off a second Gandalf right now.

Can the mailbox be addressed by applying super glue to keep it firmly in place? Won't be great for storage but if you don't plan on selling it, you could always glue it in place. Or use a small bit of clear tape? There has to be a way to fix those posts from falling over.

I just cleared out the grass/texture etc out of the hole in the base that the mailbox fits into so the hole was empty. Much more secure now, and fits the same 'stiffness' as the gate posts. Which is to say, much better, but I wouldn't go waving it about lol.

Back