Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20210701_222155470.jpg

With the arrival of Frodo, I finally unpacked my Gimli. Such an impressive figure. Well done Asmus!

IMG_20210701_222422078.jpg

Now can't wait for the arrival of Gandalf!

Thank you for your purchasing and welcome to our LOTR community :)
Mr Asmus,
I bought a MIB Gimli 2 weeks ago from a HK-based ebay seller, which I have finally received and opened today.
It comes with a chainmail-like fabric tunic that by no means resembles what it looks like in youtube reviews.
I have attached a picture of the aforementioned fabric from a 2018 Youtube review, and a picture of what I have received.
Why the obvious decrease in quality? Any possibility to receive a replacement?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-20210713-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210713-WA0004.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG-20210713-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20210713-WA0008.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 121
Mr Asmus,
I bought a MIB Gimli 2 weeks ago from a HK-based ebay seller, which I have finally received and opened today.
It comes with a chainmail-like fabric tunic that by no means resembles what it looks like in youtube reviews.
I have attached a picture of the aforementioned fabric from a 2018 Youtube review, and a picture of what I have received.
Why the obvious decrease in quality? Any possibility to receive a replacement?
Thanks.
My gimli has the same exactly chainmail has your and come from the first batch... It seems that asmus changed the chainmail in later runs of the figure... Yours probably came from one of the previous batch and so you have the first type of chainmail...

I just realized that Asmus indeed updated the chainmail on Gimli from a few recent Gimli review videos on youtube.
Any chance of getting the new updated chainmail for those of us who got their figures when it was initally released in 2018?
Owners of the new updated Gimli's thoughts on the new chain mail? how do you find it?

here is the new chain mail:

and here

Just a general heads up. I've just ordered one on the Asmus site - down to 2 left if anyone wants to pick one up!
Hey, I originally purchased one at the end of May, after a few emails they also said to ship during covid restrictions I would have to upgrade to EMS which I did. So I’m still waiting for them to ship, what did they say to you mate?

My gimli has the same exactly chainmail has your and come from the first batch... It seems that asmus changed the chainmail in later runs of the figure... Yours probably came from one of the previous batch and so you have the first type of chainmail...
Thanks for your input.
I see.... That's weird: which batches are the good ones?

I just realized that Asmus indeed updated the chainmail on Gimli from a few recent Gimli review videos on youtube.
Any chance of getting the new updated chainmail for those of us who got their figures when it was initally released in 2018?
Owners of the new updated Gimli's thoughts on the new chain mail? how do you find it?

here is the new chain mail:

and here

Then, the better chainmail is only to be found in the newest units?

Then, the better chainmail is only to be found in the newest units?
Wish i knew the answer. The original first batch in July 2018 came with the plastic chainmail what you posted above in your first screenshot. Basically in all the promo pictures on asmus site you can still see that material. However the videos I posted and here in post #1163 as well, those are something else entirely, which lookwise personally for me have a better feeling to them. I wonder why Asmus didnt even post/notify the community about this change. Because i would definitely want this updated chainmal on my Gimli rather than the original plastic.

Hey, I originally purchased one at the end of May, after a few emails they also said to ship during covid restrictions I would have to upgrade to EMS which I did. So I’m still waiting for them to ship, what did they say to you mate?
The most recent email I sent was to say I was ok with paying extra for EMS. That was only about a day ago, but it looks like the email bounced - seems to be an issue at the moment. I’ll try resending tomorrow.

Wish i knew the answer. The original first batch in July 2018 came with the plastic chainmail what you posted above in your first screenshot. Basically in all the promo pictures on asmus site you can still see that material. However the videos I posted and here in post #1163 as well, those are something else entirely, which lookwise personally for me have a better feeling to them. I wonder why Asmus didnt even post/notify the community about this change. Because i would definitely want this updated chainmal on my Gimli rather than the original plastic.
Well, I own 2 "originals" - I get that fabric chain mail would have better flow, but re the original ASMUS had explained the dwarf mail had a particular kind of link they were working to imitate - it's on their FB page someplace.

For myself I wouldn't change it out anyway. Unless I am going to do a custom with real links, and there's a good overview on the Eowyn thread about how much work that is. Still, if I ever have that kind of time might be interesting to try.

Back