Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I own 2 "originals" - I get that fabric chain mail would have better flow, but re the original ASMUS had explained the dwarf mail had a particular kind of link they were working to imitate - it's on their FB page someplace.

For myself I wouldn't change it out anyway. Unless I am going to do a custom with real links, and there's a good overview on the Eowyn thread about how much work that is. Still, if I ever have that kind of time might be interesting to try.
I got 1 original with which I have no problem at all.

My issue or lets put it like rather question is, why the sudden change from this to the new more chainmail ike looking fabric with the recent figures? (All the videos unboxing them are from 2021 what I found on youtube or see post#1163 here above)

Anyway here is the post from 2018 from the Amus FB page:

"During development, we discovered that dwarves' chain mail is unlike any human characters', which is made from interlocking metal hoops. Dwarves' chain mail are discs with hole threaded together with additional metal hoops.
For most 1/6th scaled figure, chain mails are recreated with existing mesh fabrics. But the differences in the pattern urged us to customize Gimli's own chain mail to match the costume design in the trilogy as perfectly as we possibly can.
So we began testing the pattern created digitally on many materials and faced multiple challenges. Sometimes it's too soft, too heavy, or just easily torn. After many trials and errors, we decided on the ideal material that's soft enough to sew, but sturdy enough to sustain shape and could finally moved on to production."

I got 1 original with which I have no problem at all.

My issue or lets put it like rather question is, why the sudden change from this to the new more chainmail ike looking fabric with the recent figures? (All the videos unboxing them are from 2021 what I found on youtube or see post#1163 here above)

Anyway here is the post from 2018 from the Amus FB page:

"During development, we discovered that dwarves' chain mail is unlike any human characters', which is made from interlocking metal hoops. Dwarves' chain mail are discs with hole threaded together with additional metal hoops.
For most 1/6th scaled figure, chain mails are recreated with existing mesh fabrics. But the differences in the pattern urged us to customize Gimli's own chain mail to match the costume design in the trilogy as perfectly as we possibly can.
So we began testing the pattern created digitally on many materials and faced multiple challenges. Sometimes it's too soft, too heavy, or just easily torn. After many trials and errors, we decided on the ideal material that's soft enough to sew, but sturdy enough to sustain shape and could finally moved on to production."
LOL I think, unfortunately, that ASMUS picked up on the lack of appreciation for an attempt at film accuracy, and figured out from comments that folks - at least a fair amount - were less interested in the accuracy of the maille vs. having drape-able links. There was some complaint way back, like someone put up a picture of a company that used actual links for chain maille.

All well and good, except the scale of the links is WAY too big. Then there's the knit fabric type links like Aragorn has, except, yah know, it's knit fabric. To keep the price point, IMO it's impossible to get accurate film accurate maille on Gimli. So Gimli is now being made with some sort of softer fabric, but, it's a woven fabric. Maybe it drapes better.

Not sure anyone but a geek like me pays that much attention to dwarf maille - and the KIND of links that were used. Would luv a battle Thorin, for instance, but even there according to the WETA books, the type of link is diamond shaped. I doubt I can even find bulk chain with diamond shaped links 2-4mm diameter, which means making the chain by hand if I really wanna be fussy about it.:cry:

Anyway don't think anyone beats ASMUS for striving for film accuracy but keeping it within a decent price range; luv my Gimlis. Still amazed at the quality and number of the axes. Thorin, Gimli and Thranduil remain my top ASMUS figs, tho am still waiting on Crown Gandalf. Gandalf #1 is pretty good too, as is Bilbo. Heck, I like all my ASMUS figs(y)

Well, I own 2 "originals" - I get that fabric chain mail would have better flow, but re the original ASMUS had explained the dwarf mail had a particular kind of link they were working to imitate - it's on their FB page someplace.

For myself I wouldn't change it out anyway. Unless I am going to do a custom with real links, and there's a good overview on the Eowyn thread about how much work that is. Still, if I ever have that kind of time might be interesting to try.
You mean somebody made a real mailchain jacket for Eowyn?? How deep into Eowyn's thread is that part??
Do you guys remember anyone trying to do the same with Gimli?

Wish i knew the answer. The original first batch in July 2018 came with the plastic chainmail what you posted above in your first screenshot. Basically in all the promo pictures on asmus site you can still see that material. However the videos I posted and here in post #1163 as well, those are something else entirely, which lookwise personally for me have a better feeling to them. I wonder why Asmus didnt even post/notify the community about this change. Because i would definitely want this updated chainmal on my Gimli rather than the original plastic.
Definitely no good. We should be given at least the chance to purchase the better chainmail.

LOL I think, unfortunately, that ASMUS picked up on the lack of appreciation for an attempt at film accuracy, and figured out from comments that folks - at least a fair amount - were less interested in the accuracy of the maille vs. having drape-able links. There was some complaint way back, like someone put up a picture of a company that used actual links for chain maille.

All well and good, except the scale of the links is WAY too big. Then there's the knit fabric type links like Aragorn has, except, yah know, it's knit fabric. To keep the price point, IMO it's impossible to get accurate film accurate maille on Gimli. So Gimli is now being made with some sort of softer fabric, but, it's a woven fabric. Maybe it drapes better.

Not sure anyone but a geek like me pays that much attention to dwarf maille - and the KIND of links that were used. Would luv a battle Thorin, for instance, but even there according to the WETA books, the type of link is diamond shaped. I doubt I can even find bulk chain with diamond shaped links 2-4mm diameter, which means making the chain by hand if I really wanna be fussy about it.:cry:

Anyway don't think anyone beats ASMUS for striving for film accuracy but keeping it within a decent price range; luv my Gimlis. Still amazed at the quality and number of the axes. Thorin, Gimli and Thranduil remain my top ASMUS figs, tho am still waiting on Crown Gandalf. Gandalf #1 is pretty good too, as is Bilbo. Heck, I like all my ASMUS figs(y)
I am also still waiting for my Crown Gandalf, while everyone seem to have received it already. How come?

Then, the woven chain mail is a recent, feedback-based modification?
The newer chain mail looks and feels much better. Does it stray much from the original prop?

Last edited:

Great analysis, I really want Thranduil reissue!

It may not be movie-accurate, but I made a real mail shirt for my Gimli and I think it looks great! MF weighs a ton now! :D

Attachments

• Gimli.jpeg
    Gimli.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 108
I highly recommend these chainmail purses for material to upgrade our figures.

I can't recall who it was, but a fellow Freak did an amazing job upgrading the Mouth of Sauron steed with this material. They were the first to share this technique, if not mistaken. I've got a couple of these purses just for that.

I highly recommend these chainmail purses for material to upgrade our figures.

I can't recall who it was, but a fellow Freak did an amazing job upgrading the Mouth of Sauron steed with this material. They were the first to share this technique, if not mistaken. I've got a couple of these purses just for that.
I’m very tempted to try some of this material on Helms Deep Aragorn. Do you know anyone who has done it yet?

Great analysis, I really want Thranduil reissue!
Thank you my best guess. And continue to wait desperately for a Thranduil on Throne, since I am not gonna pay 3000$ +:eek: for the WETA version and at least with figures you can change the pose up.

I’m very tempted to try some of this material on Helms Deep Aragorn. Do you know anyone who has done it yet?
I haven't seen it done specifically for the HD Aragorn figure yet. But based on the Asmus figure, you just need enough to cover his arms and a little bit to show at the front waist section.

the first version is the most screen accurated, but the last is better for posability... both are good imho
Exactly. I have the newer one and Gimli poses really well but part of me wonders how the more accurate mail would look. The rings are so small it may not make much difference appearance wise, especially from standard standing distance.

Back