Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's been rumblings of a Thranduil upgrade/redo/revisit (see his thread) ... Is that part of the Crown line, too?

(It'd be cool if he came with his kings robes and a throne....)

Oh, a haircut! The agony! No living creature should be forced to suffer the undignified torment of a haircut...!

[emoji38]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I know you're kidding and don't want to derail the thread but I would probably guarantee you those animals are treated like **** before, during, and after the "haircut."

Very apt that Asmus should announce their Gandalf the Grey 2.0 today, as I have just finished my custom headsculpt for my 1.0 :hi5:

73E1ED5A-52C0-452F-A77B-F1A4BBD87138.jpg
96E074BC-E666-485D-998B-40D427FDFF0F.jpg
67D0C32A-7BFE-431E-984E-39D828FF963F.jpg

I know you're kidding and don't want to derail the thread but I would probably guarantee you those animals are treated like **** before, during, and after the "haircut."

:lecture:goodpost::exactly:

I am adding GTG to my MUST HAVES this year along with Big Chief's Laurel and Hardy 1/6 figures and any QMx Mr. Spock re-release or Wrath of Khan Cpt. Spock. :clap

This is a definite buy. I prefer the idea of having a great piece out of the gate as opposed to having to spend another $200-$300 for aftermarket repainting, rehairing, etc.

93f7fbf1c727cacf79054962601f35b6.jpg

Would like to thank these guys for making this Gandalf possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, a haircut! The agony! No living creature should be forced to suffer the undignified torment of a haircut...!

[emoji38]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Except the Tibetan lamb hair comes attached to the hide so the animals are definitely killed

Other than the improved rooted hair, I'm intrigued by what else this version will include. The previous version came with pretty much all his accessories from LOTR and The Hobbit so if this is a specific Fellowship version, I hope they include the hoodless cloak he wears from Rivendell into Moria. Oh, and Ori's journal too. Come on Asmus, Sideshow included both of those accessories and you don't want to be out done by them! [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

They can charge whatever they want if the quality is indeed at another level but it remains to be seen. Looks like they have been taking note of the work myself, Jacob R and other artists have posted on this forum and that’s impressive to see. Hoping the Gandalf outfit has some noticeable upgrades too!

If you’re worried about price find another hobby to get into or buy asmus’ first Gandalf. You get what you pay for, period.

They can charge whatever they want if the quality is indeed at another level but it remains to be seen. Looks like they have been taking note of the work myself, Jacob R and other artists have posted on this forum and that’s impressive to see. Hoping the Gandalf outfit has some noticeable upgrades too!

If you’re worried about price find another hobby to get into or buy asmus’ first Gandalf. You get what you pay for, period.

don't be an ******* about the hobby, the number 1 company in the 1\6 action figure is Hot Toys and we never get 100% of what we end up paying

Some people have unrealistic expectations for mass produced items. They’re unhappy with 90%+ of what’s made. They’re hyper-critical of everything they see. Instead of seeing the positive they immediately look for the negative. It must be miserable going through life with that outlook.

That is what I'd be afraid of in this situation. This Gandalf figures looks awesome and I'd love to have rooted hair, but I'm pretty particular about not using products that support animal testing/cruelty/etc. I get that it doesn't matter to some people, and that is fine, I'm not here to try and change anyone's minds, but it does matter to me.

But going on the assumption that I'd be able to purchase their Crown line - I was actually about to buy an Aragorn figure this morning because I'm selling my HUGE Toy Biz LOTR collection on ebay right now and moving over to the 1/6th line, but when I saw this post I decided to wait in case they do an advanced Aragorn version.

I asked, the hair is coming from sheep so no probs there :)

I’m super curious how they’re going to pull this off. The hair shown seems to be glued rather than punched in. This would create an insane amount of extra production time. There’s a reason customizes charge hundreds for hair jobs. I’m skeptical they’ve found a way to do this with real Tibetan lamb but will be happy to be proven wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m hoping the price won’t be wildly astronomical. Like, I want an improved headsculpt with rooted beard and hair, but I don’t want to pay $400 for a figure... Especially when I already have it! If that’s the case, I really hope you can buy the head separately.

That said, I am trying to imagine how they would improve the accessories and clothes the original GTG came with. Perhaps better fabrics and weathering effects? I thought the scarf needed to be a ‘fluffier’ fabric, but the robes were all really good. He also had all three versions of his staff! Maybe we’ll get a light-up function for his “Moria” staff?

I think you should all be expecting prices to be high. They’re sold as part of a deluxe line and they require more work, its not gonna be cheap.

Back