Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m hoping the price won’t be wildly astronomical. Like, I want an improved headsculpt with rooted beard and hair, but I don’t want to pay $400 for a figure... Especially when I already have it! If that’s the case, I really hope you can buy the head separately.

That said, I am trying to imagine how they would improve the accessories and clothes the original GTG came with. Perhaps better fabrics and weathering effects? I thought the scarf needed to be a ‘fluffier’ fabric, but the robes were all really good. He also had all three versions of his staff! Maybe we’ll get a light-up function for his “Moria” staff?
I'd say we are probably looking AT LEAST $400+ for this.

Real hair works like this aren't cheap and fast.

I also dont think this is marketed at the casual collector either. This is aimed at those that want the best of the best and will pay it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

At $400 a figure, I hope Asmus is considering a very limited number of figures as I think they won't be selling big numbers of them, regardless of how nice they come out. I just don't see a large number of LOTR 1/6 figure collectors willing to pay that amount on a consistent basis.

$400 seems way out of line considering Asmus has been doing haired figures for under $200 for awhile now. It would have to have a lot more changes than just Yak hair to be at $400. Like a whole new body. Seamless neck. No more 'rubber' belts and chainmail. Etc.

Yeah, I desperately want this figure but for $400 I’d be out. I can’t see myself paying more than $275.

I'd want the figure to come with a working pipe and real pipe weed for $400 ;)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I'm expecting something between $300-400 range. More than that would be a bummer. Still, if you purchase a standard figure and need to get a new sculpt, repaint and rehair, plus custom accessories, it can easily go to $500-800. So, even if it's $400+ and you get that quality, I'll be in. Now, this line should be just for key characters (Gandalf, Aragorn or Gollum, but no Galadriel, Eowyn or Théoden). In no way I'm spending $400 per figure to get a second Asmus LOTR collection!

I’m sure a lot of collectors would say no way, but I’d shell out $400 for Gandalf if he’s perfected. Not sure I’d go that way for every character, but definitely for him. That said, really don’t think the price will be that high.

If these are 400 count me out.

Yeah, I desperately want this figure but for $400 I’d be out. I can’t see myself paying more than $275.

Same here unfortunately, that would put him well out of my price range.

I certainly don't mind paying extra over Asmus's usual price of their 'standard' figures for this deluxe versions - and I would expect too, considering how good this GTG looks, but there is a max limit to what I'll shell out for a single figure.

Same here unfortunately, that would put him well out of my price range.

I certainly don't mind paying extra over Asmus's usual price of their 'standard' figures for this deluxe versions - and I would expect too, considering how good this GTG looks, but there is a max limit to what I'll shell out for a single figure.
Yep I hope they don’t shoot them selves in the foot here

In no way I'm spending $400 per figure to get a second Asmus LOTR collection!

This is the problem: for most of us, we already have a solid LOTR collection thanks to Asmus. Now its going to cost more to duplicate that. I fear having to re-collect my collection... and what if they don't do Crown versions of all 9 Fellowship characters and you spend a lot of money on half an LOTR Crown collection?

But who's really left to do Crown versions other than double-dipping? GtG then GtG... Logically Aragorn next, then Legolas... etc. I doubt they'll do a Crown Gothmog or Arwen or Lurtz (although they might price him the same because of his size).

For those who want to delve into the Crown Series, be prepared to start a whole new collection, just like the diecast Iron Men.

Now I'm thinking I'm lucky to have only collected 5 of the 9 Fellowship: Gandalf, Frodo, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli.

I think it’s fair to say Gimli already falls under the Crown banner. But I wouldn’t mind updated versions of Saruman, Legolas & Aragorn (as long as they can update the sculpt so he doesn’t look like a heroine addict) to go with Gandalf the Grey. I honestly don’t think most of the others require any further upgrades — aside from maybe a better likeness Eowyn.

Speaking of gimli I noticed the production photos of him they used Tibetan lamb but in production they used synthetic. I wouldn’t be surprised if they will do the same with Gandalf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for Crown series I will get both Gandalf’s beyond that it’s a wait and see....I’m happy with my current fellowship....including Gandalf but I’ll still double dip. If the do different versions like king Aragorn etc I’d probably get those too. Maybe they’ll do a radagast in crown? Besides Gandalf (G&W) I’m most interested in their Galadriel, Sauron, new witch king/Nazgul...oh! And Gollum of course

I wonder what percentage of their releases will be Crowns moving forward? Maybe one or two a year? You wouldn't think they'd do it too often or it could ruin the specialness. (Or push away collectors who can't afford them.)

Well, the wait is over! Gandalf is available at Asmus store, for $350. It's in the range I predicted, so it's an instant preorder for me. I want this figure, but I want the Crown line to be a success too, so I hope this is the start of something great.

Awesome
5e7719d65435c004b10ff1224ecafe0c.jpg

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Back