Asmus Toys: Eowyn in Armor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BBTS has her listed as April. I'm hopeful that's true, but I wouldn't bet money on the accuracy of their system.

(For instance, they still have the QMx Firefly Mal figure listed as March. Unless they're expecting a busy day in the shipping department, I'm not planning on that.)

I received mine on Monday from Ekia Hobbies and it looks pretty good. However, it didn't come with the extra Morgul Lord body which I thought would be included on preorders. I was thinking of buying the WitchKing at BBTS to complete the vignette but I was concerned about getting the old vs new body, as it's still unclear to me from that thread which body the new stock comes with.

Other than that Eowyn looks good. Hair is a huge curly mess but that can be fixed. Also, the sword hilt is a little asymmetrical so I'm wondering if it's just an imperfect mold or if I got poor QC. Not sure it's worth contacting Ekia for these issues.

I'll try to post pics soon.

Also, this is my first post here. Super excited about this figure as it's been one of my all-time grail quests!

Anyone else get theirs?

I received mine on Monday from Ekia Hobbies and it looks pretty good. However, it didn't come with the extra Morgul Lord body which I thought would be included on preorders. I was thinking of buying the WitchKing at BBTS to complete the vignette but I was concerned about getting the old vs new body, as it's still unclear to me from that thread which body the new stock comes with.

Other than that Eowyn looks good. Hair is a huge curly mess but that can be fixed. Also, the sword hilt is a little asymmetrical so I'm wondering if it's just an imperfect mold or if I got poor QC. Not sure it's worth contacting Ekia for these issues.

I'll try to post pics soon.

Also, this is my first post here. Super excited about this figure as it's been one of my all-time grail quests!

Anyone else get theirs?

Pics, please!

Got an email from Steve at Timewalker that mine (along with HT Gamora) would be shipping out next week. So, some retailers in the states are finally getting this.

Toy Anxiety just parted her out. I grabbed an extra head/body to make other versions (I hope to get more heads, but will wait for the price to hopefully drop).

Hopefully this will turn up from BBTS shortly.

From product description:

Accessories:
· One interractive cutom base
· One Asmus Toys figure stand /Asmus Toys
. Bonus Accessory for first run only: Morgul Lord Body

I ordered Aug 15, 2014 and my recollection is that the Morgul body was listed as included at that time.

Love the way this turned out and would love to support Asmus but I cant afford to atm and holding out for Fellowship figures only

I ordered Aug 15, 2014 and my recollection is that the Morgul body was listed as included at that time.

Same with my local order, pictures and text state the extra body is included. Always felt 'uneasy' on how Asmus handled this. Quite curious on how/when/if we get these. Same thing on the replacement GtW head.

Okay, so here are some initial pics so you see what you get out of the box. I would have posted sooner but I wanted to work on the hair first so I could show you before and after shots.
P1050339.jpgP1050340.jpgP1050342.jpgP1050346.jpgP1050345.jpgP1050343.jpg
As you can see the hair is a curly frizzy mess out of the box, at least it was on mine. Actually, in these pics I've already combed it out, because straight out of the box the hair was less frizzy but the curls were really tight and totally doll-like. The problem was any handling of those tight curls starts to tangle the locks, and as soon as you start to comb it out the ends get all frizzy. I'll address this more in my next post showing the "after" shots.

My hilt was glued on crooked to the sword blade. It bugs me but is only really noticeable when sheathed rather than in her hand. It's probably not worth raising a fuss to get a new one but it's disappointing.

The helmet is a soft plastic/vinyl material which is prone to warping. It has some decent detail and paint, but the top ridge is lacking the detail from the movie original she wore, so that too is disappointing. I don't know why it wasn't made in a harder plastic/polystyrene like ACI's Greek and Roman helmets, which are able to retain really sharp details. At least they improved the strap width from War-Gar's preview piece, although how hard would it have been to make it a working chin strap with real buckle, like virtually all the Dragon/DiD WWII helmets out there? Luckily I've got a zillion spare bits of buckles and straps from all my years of mostly military figure projects, so I'll just make a more accurate one. Overall the helmet looks the part and is satisfactory.

The armored corselet is made of a vinyl material which has a tacky, sticky feel to it, which has me a little worried about whether it's reacting to solvents in the paint or topcoat. If painted properly it shouldn't feel so sticky and I hope it doesn't break down over time. The rest of the clothing is well made and has some weathering on it which is pretty well done.

Lastly, there is really no possible space in the box to fit an extra Witch King body, so I don't know how they were going to include that, unless they were going to send it in an extra box or bag. Needless to say I didn't receive it with my preorder.

Nice review.

So how do you like it overall? Or are you still working on her? I know sometimes it doesn't sink in until you get finished futzing and can stand back and look at it.

Side note: I really wish there was a way for her to hold the broken shield.

Here are my "after" pics on the hair.
P1050347.jpgP1050350.jpgP1050353.jpgP1050354.jpgP1050358.jpgP1050365.jpgP1050360.jpg
As you can see I've done some extensive cutting and styling to try to approach the "movie look" of Eowyn's hair. It's still not perfect/accurate but it's probably the best I can do given the limitations of my skills and of how they manufactured and curled the hair. It was a lot of work and frankly I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart, but if you're patient and go really slow it's doable. It helps that I personally have fine hair with a bit of wave/curl to it and mostly have had medium to long hair styles so I know how my own hair needs to be cut to achieve a certain look.

Eowyn's hairstyle changes quite a bit through the two movies, and I'm only talking about her more simple straight ones, not the elaborate ones like she had at her brother's funeral. The length and amount of curl/wave it has seems to change, which makes sense because a bit of time does pass from her intro in Two Towers through the Pelennor Fields and to Aragorn's coronation. Obviously for this figure I wanted to go for how she looked as Dernhelm, where her hair was largely straight with a loose wave. Actually, her hair is mostly pretty unkempt and messy during those scenes, which is hard to do with this kind of rooted hair.

I used a wide toothed comb and my sharpest scissors, keeping the hair damp and first cutting off all the kinked and tangled ends that come exposed the more you comb it out. Start by cutting the overall length in the back, just a little bit because her hair is almost waist length at its longest so Asmus got that mostly right. The problem is they basically chopped all the layers off the same length which gives it that doll look. What I was aiming for was a long layered look, which helps to thin out the bulk. The best way to do this is to go one rooted section/layer at a time, starting with the lowest, which is the innermost layer. (separate the layers with hemostats or reverse tweezers) Cut the inner/lowest layers shortest, keep the top/outer layers longest, but occasionally some of those layers need to be shortened as well. The key is to rarely cut across the length of the hair, but try to cut along the length of it (parallel). This keeps it from having that "chopped" look and gives the hair a more chromatic/multilayered effect. Occasionally re-dampen the hair by running a wet comb through it to keep it manageable.

When you get to the bangs and sides you have to go even slower, since these face framing layers are critical. Cut too much and it's over, you can't go back. Eowyn has long bangs that hang down to above her breasts, and I saved them for last. Cut a tiny bit at a time, and remember that the curl in the hair will pull it higher and make it seem shorter. At this point I was targeting individual hairs here and there to thin out the bangs area so it they would have different lengths and not seem chopped. When I was satisfied with the first pass through I combed it all out and reassessed the overall look and did some strategic thinning, mostly in the back. Any stray hairs that were kinked or stuck out in wacky ways were just yanked out.

Finally, I wet the hair down thoroughly and dried the excess, then combed it out. I spritzed hair spray liberally on the comb and combed it through the hair. (I used my own stuff--Aveda Witch Hazel, which is good quality and supposedly all natural) I used this opportunity to isolate and gather individual "locks" of hair like in the bangs area. The wide toothed comb helps this process.

Any handling of the hair pretty much messes it up and simple hand futzing doesn't quite get it back to this look, so you'll have to re-comb with a wet comb to re-activate the hair spray, and maybe even apply more spray. I'm not sure I would recommend wax or grease like some have used on the ACI Aragorn, because Eowyn never had hair that was soaked through with sweat in her scenes, even though she got dirty and messy. I'm hesitant to use gel for the same reason, as it has a tendency to give it a wet look after it dries.

I'm mostly happy with it. The hair now has a layered effect and though I've carefully groomed it, it's still got a flowing messy look to it.

I'll post more pics when I've had a chance to play with the accessories and replaced the helmet strap.

Very thorough explanation, Tank Girl. Thanks for that. Not sure I'm going to have the guts to try that when mine arrives, but it sure is informative.

Thanks for the info TG!
Looking at your pictures the outfit looks quite nice. Not convinced by the head portion though. Toothpick neck and 'dur!' expression. Also can't help but notice how the skintones differ. Quite interested in seeing pics with the helmet on.

We need to get Asmus in here to explain the absent WK body. Good thing I never put down a deposit. :(

Back