Asmus Toys: Boromir

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let’s just take the restock here lol this kind of stuff, especially with an upgrade, doesn’t happen much in this hobby.

If they can make a nice Amon Hen base in a timely fashion that’d be cool but I’d rather they don’t take too much time on extra things so they can get new stuff out.
Isn’t there already a Amon Hen base from the first Strider figure? That would be nice to have.

This sculpted hair version would only work for Fellowship Boromir, as his hair was loose and fell straight down in his "For Gondor" scene.

for gondor sm.jpg

A rooted hair sculpt would be better for "For Gondor" Armored Boromir.

This new sculpt is nice but I honestly prefer my rooted hair version.

Glad to see this one coming but still holding out hope (fool's hope?) for an armored version...

This sculpted hair version would only work for Fellowship Boromir, as his hair was loose and fell straight down in his "For Gondor" scene.

View attachment 558768

A rooted hair sculpt would be better for "For Gondor" Armored Boromir.

This new sculpt is nice but I honestly prefer my rooted hair version.

Glad to see this one coming but still holding out hope (fool's hope?) for an armored version...
This is all fair.

I think sculpted hair works much better for the Fellowship look. It should be neater as it was clean (not dirty from battle) and tighter to his head. As FlyAndFight pointed out, his hair was much looser in his armored look, effects of fighting in a battle.

I think sculpted is perfect for this re-issue/upgrade and rooted would be a nice compromise for armored. Maybe they can offer a certain amount of both for the armored version if they really want to make everyone happy.

I've always preferred sculpted myself but I think FlyAndFight does make a good point here.

This is all fair.

I think sculpted hair works much better for the Fellowship look. It should be neater as it was clean (not dirty from battle) and tighter to his head. As FlyAndFight pointed out, his hair was much looser in his armored look, effects of fighting in a battle.

I think sculpted is perfect for this re-issue/upgrade and rooted would be a nice compromise for armored. Maybe they can offer a certain amount of both for the armored version if they really want to make everyone happy.

I've always preferred sculpted myself but I think FlyAndFight does make a good point here.

I too usually prefer sculpted hair. I hate to say it, but I haven't been impressed with some of the renditions done by Asmus. Theoden, Eomer and Faramir's hair lines come to mind. But it does look significantly better in the pics above.

Hair is the issue that has holding us back for many rooted haired characters,
especially we are now able to do something like Gandalf of the Crown Series.
For characters that have longer hair like Haldir, Eomer, Elrond...keep the hyrbid model going.

Sculpted hair is definitely good for Boromir, Faramir, Aragorn, Theoden, etc. Just watch the hairline, that has often been one area that has hurt the overall portrait. But you've been improving greatly and that has been evident. Just a little more work will elevate you to the top level on sculpts.

Obviously when you get to Eowyn it will need to be fully rooted.

Your Boromir rooted version wasn't terrible. Might be worth trying it again and continuing to improve when you get to the armored version.

So far I haven't seen any stock rooted hair that is better than sculpted hair, except for Gandalf Crown. I prefer sculpted hair for Boromir in any version of him. Once you have the likeness of the face, sculpting new hair is not that difficult.

Hair is the issue that has holding us back for many rooted haired characters,
especially we are now able to do something like Gandalf of the Crown Series.
Precisely because I know, and everyone here knows, that you are more than capable of producing full rooted hair headsculpts of excellent quality (Gandalf, Arwen, Gimli), I cannot understand a step back to the sculpted hair (even if It's well done).

I can accept that a full rooted hair could be difficult with Legolas because of the blaids, but with Boromir? What is the problem? It isn't more complicated than the previous examples that I mentioned.

If you guys, are able to be the best, why settle for being regular? We all support your work, come on! 💪🏼

Or at least, offer us both options 🥺

Do a crown release Boromir with your excellent Gandalf hair type application. Add in deluxe Amon-Hen base with magnetic arrows to attach to his outfit from when he was trying to protect the little ones. Include some Uruk helmets split from Boromir's sword to place on the base.

P.S. Don't make the eyes move though.

That would get me to double dip on a second Boromir in this outfit.

Precisely because I know, and everyone here knows, that you are more than capable of producing full rooted hair headsculpts of excellent quality (Gandalf, Arwen, Gimli), I cannot understand a step back to the sculpted hair (even if It's well done).

I can accept that a full rooted hair could be difficult with Legolas because of the blaids, but with Boromir? What is the problem? It isn't more complicated than the previous examples that I mentioned.

If you guys, are able to be the best, why settle for being regular? We all support your work, come on! 💪🏼

Or at least, offer us both options 🥺
Just to play Devil’s Advocate here - I actually hate rooted hair on figures. I think it makes them look like Barbie dolls. I’ve always felt sculpted hair looks much more defined and realistic, I don’t want to sit and have to work with the hair here. I actually upgraded my Civil War Black Widow (rooted hair) to the Endgame version solely because it has sculpted hair.

For characters with hair/bears that go past shoulders I think rooted makes sense so as to not inhibit posing, but otherwise I think sculpted is vastly superior and always my preference.

I can absolutely see the argument for rooted hair and I understand why people like it. I’m not saying people shouldn’t like rooted hair, it’s all personal preference.

What I don’t like is calling sculpted hair a step back or whatever. Again, it’s all in the eye of the beholder. I personally think Eomer looks god awful without his helmet on because of the rooted hair and seam. Hybrid hair would have fixed that which is why I think Asmus should make Haldir that way.

It’s my personal opinion that this Boromir re-release should just be sculpted so they can get it out and move on to other new things like Haldir, Galadhrim. Eowyn, armored Boromir, Isildur, whatever else. They can do a sculpted/rooted mix again for the armored version if there’s enough demand.

But, calling sculpted hair a step back is unfair and I don’t think that’s a valid criticism.

Just to play Devil’s Advocate here - I actually hate rooted hair on figures. I think it makes them look like Barbie dolls. I’ve always felt sculpted hair looks much more defined and realistic, I don’t want to sit and have to work with the hair here. I actually upgraded my Civil War Black Widow (rooted hair) to the Endgame version solely because it has sculpted hair.

For characters with hair/bears that go past shoulders I think rooted makes sense so as to not inhibit posing, but otherwise I think sculpted is vastly superior and always my preference.

I can absolutely see the argument for rooted hair and I understand why people like it. I’m not saying people shouldn’t like rooted hair, it’s all personal preference.

What I don’t like is calling sculpted hair a step back or whatever. Again, it’s all in the eye of the beholder. I personally think Eomer looks god awful without his helmet on because of the rooted hair and seam. Hybrid hair would have fixed that which is why I think Asmus should make Haldir that way.

It’s my personal opinion that this Boromir re-release should just be sculpted so they can get it out and move on to other new things like Haldir, Galadhrim. Eowyn, armored Boromir, Isildur, whatever else. They can do a sculpted/rooted mix again for the armored version if there’s enough demand.

But, calling sculpted hair a step back is unfair and I don’t think that’s a valid criticism.
I stand behind this as well. I prefer Sculpted hair if properly sculpted and painted, over any rooted hair. I don't even care if it hinders the posing because I usually do semi museum poses.

I think Asmus have made significant improvements with their hair sculpts recently whereas in the past, they have looked very rough and clunky (Legolas, Theoden & Faramir). The sharpness of on Helms Deep Aragorn's hair piece looks so much better than previous attempts and even has two layers to give it more depth. If they can match that detail on the new Boromir sculpt, I think it would look great!

Back