Asmus Toys: Boromir

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trust me - as someone is leading a full court press for Asmus to release Haldir and the Galadhrim, I want some new stuff too. I hope to rally everyone to push for a new Eowyn, Gil-Galad and Isildur once Haldir and his soldiers are officially in production. New is good.

But with Boromir - he's an integral part of the Fellowship. Over the years, there's been two versions of Aragorn made, Helm's Deep is still available for many to buy if they want him. Legolas just came out. Gimli has been restocked, as were Sam/Frodo and it sounds like Merry/Pippin are going to be available again.

For many who joined late, or are new like Waiden and Rusty, they should have a chance to get Boromir since there was only the one release and it didn't stick around long. There's demand, it's a great look and with upgrades a lot of people will buy it, we're seeing that in this thread.

Let's help everyone get a Fellowship version and then we can push for an armored version together.

Trust me - as someone is leading a full court press for Asmus to release Haldir and the Galadhrim, I want some new stuff too. I hope to rally everyone to push for a new Eowyn, Gil-Galad and Isildur once Haldir and his soldiers are officially in production. New is good.

But with Boromir - he's an integral part of the Fellowship. Over the years, there's been two versions of Aragorn made, Helm's Deep is still available for many to buy if they want him. Legolas just came out. Gimli has been restocked, as were Sam/Frodo and it sounds like Merry/Pippin are going to be available again.

For many who joined late, or are new like Waiden and Rusty, they should have a chance to get Boromir since there was only the one release and it didn't stick around long. There's demand, it's a great look and with upgrades a lot of people will buy it, we're seeing that in this thread.

Let's help everyone get a Fellowship version and then we can push for an armored version together.
Thank you very much my friend :)

It is either Godorian armor or the fellowship look that bothers us.

W want to do something new,
but fellowship still has a good amount of demands
Something new? Then, what about bad guys @Asmus ?

Orcs, orcs and more orcs. Goblins, goblins and more goblins. And definitely, Uruk-hais 🙏

What are you waiting for to take the step, make everyone happy and earn thousands of dollars? 😂

I have ZERO interest in a Gondorian Armor Boromir.

I want Fellowship Boromir with his fur cloak. :lecture

Honestly, not the best idea to divide sales.

If they make Fellowship Boromir available later this year and armored Boromir available next year, I'll get both. If they make both this year, let's say, I would just upgrade my Fellowship figure and figure out the armored version later.

I think they absolutely should make an armored Boromir, but I think they should think of the new people to the line first to help them with their Fellowship collection. Like Asmus said, there's demand.

Just my honest thoughts.

If they make Fellowship Boromir available later this year and armored Boromir available next year, I'll get both. If they make both this year, let's say, I would just upgrade my Fellowship figure and figure out the armored version later.

I think they absolutely should make an armored Boromir, but I think they should think of the new people to the line first to help them with their Fellowship collection. Like Asmus said, there's demand.

Just my honest thoughts.
Fellowship Boromir this year would be very easy for Asmus to do. They just need to reuse the costume and add the new sculpt they have already been working on. Then as you suggest they can develop the Gondorian armor for 2023 release.

Just my honest thoughts.
Agree with this…do them both but leave a gap in between the releases, they will both be really good sellers I reckon. I’d probably end up getting both myself! :lol

A FOTR Boromir 2.0 should come first, the costume is already there, just need to nail the headsculpt. Then take the time to get the armored version right and the armor can obviously be repurposed for armored Faramir and the Gondor Knights as others have suggested.

Can't wait!

Aragorn (who has many costume variants) had the first release with everything, a slim and then helms deep. Legolas has FotR and now helms deep look. Gimil's look never changes between films save his cloak so a re-release is the only option. Frodo and Sam don't change looks really either other than the their outfits deteriorating and then the briefly seen orc armour so a re-release / slim was the best option again (especially for main characters). Merry and Pippin had a predominant look for most of the films (their first release and then the heads upgrade pack with additional cloaks really rounded that off), now they do also have their Rohan and Gondor looks respectively and those would be nice to see at some point.

I just did a quick google to check secondary market prices for the original figure of Boromir and was surprised to see that it's so scarce! If you find one it is likely to be triple the original price so I agree that the timing is right for a Boromir release. This seems to indicate a trend that most of the Asmus Lord of the Rings figures do not a huge secondary market, people buy them for their collections and then keep hold of them (unlike your average superhero Hot Toys figures which are flipped for newer versions all the time). So if it's a popular character or one you absolutely need you can't afford to sit on it (prioritise LotR over Hot Toys) otherwise you will likely miss out (I missed out Thranduil and am always checking ebay for him!).

So yes I can see that there is demand for a re-release of the original figure (and Merry and Pippin too) but it would be sad that this would almost certainly push armoured Boromir further down the line (likely not to be seen for another few years). It would also be unfortunate if we were caught in a cycle of people joining late or not ordering Boromir when he is readily available and then when Asmus are considering an armoured version the new comers or people who didn't order the other times start clamouring again for a re-release of the original figure. It's going to be tough to get any variants of any character if we are always looking backwards with the line. Also a straight re-release of the original figure but upgrading parts of it could be frustrating for collectors who picked up the original if these upgrades are not all made available for separate purchase (likely the head will be but what if they choose a better fabric for parts of the clothing or the weapons have a better finish etc.).

It's a difficult balancing act, pushing the line forward but at the same time bringing in new collectors. It's a tough one for Asmus and for the most part they seem to be striking the balance right with this line. Boromir is a tough choice being a member of the fellowship, there is clearly demand for a figure now but which one to go with. If they release armoured Boromir they will have all the sales from people who purchased the first release and want armoured also but will new collectors and ones who missed out just pick him up as well to have the character represented in their collections thus maximising sales? Though everyone here will deny it I'd wager that many would. If they do a slim or re-release of the original figure first they are only going to capture new collectors or ones who missed out the first time round (save any separate upgrade head pack) and would that then eat into potential sales of a Gondorian Armoured Boromir in the future? Not easy to work out and one for Asmus to gauge how many collectors might fit into each category.

At the end of the day I just want more Sean Bean but especially nice shiny Sean in his glorious Gondorian armour waving the flag... my precious!

Aragorn (who has many costume variants) had the first release with everything, a slim and then helms deep. Legolas has FotR and now helms deep look. Gimil's look never changes between films save his cloak so a re-release is the only option. Frodo and Sam don't change looks really either other than the their outfits deteriorating and then the briefly seen orc armour so a re-release / slim was the best option again (especially for main characters). Merry and Pippin had a predominant look for most of the films (their first release and then the heads upgrade pack with additional cloaks really rounded that off), now they do also have their Rohan and Gondor looks respectively and those would be nice to see at some point.

I just did a quick google to check secondary market prices for the original figure of Boromir and was surprised to see that it's so scarce! If you find one it is likely to be triple the original price so I agree that the timing is right for a Boromir release. This seems to indicate a trend that most of the Asmus Lord of the Rings figures do not a huge secondary market, people buy them for their collections and then keep hold of them (unlike your average superhero Hot Toys figures which are flipped for newer versions all the time). So if it's a popular character or one you absolutely need you can't afford to sit on it (prioritise LotR over Hot Toys) otherwise you will likely miss out (I missed out Thranduil and am always checking ebay for him!).

So yes I can see that there is demand for a re-release of the original figure (and Merry and Pippin too) but it would be sad that this would almost certainly push armoured Boromir further down the line (likely not to be seen for another few years). It would also be unfortunate if we were caught in a cycle of people joining late or not ordering Boromir when he is readily available and then when Asmus are considering an armoured version the new comers or people who didn't order the other times start clamouring again for a re-release of the original figure. It's going to be tough to get any variants of any character if we are always looking backwards with the line. Also a straight re-release of the original figure but upgrading parts of it could be frustrating for collectors who picked up the original if these upgrades are not all made available for separate purchase (likely the head will be but what if they choose a better fabric for parts of the clothing or the weapons have a better finish etc.).

It's a difficult balancing act, pushing the line forward but at the same time bringing in new collectors. It's a tough one for Asmus and for the most part they seem to be striking the balance right with this line. Boromir is a tough choice being a member of the fellowship, there is clearly demand for a figure now but which one to go with. If they release armoured Boromir they will have all the sales from people who purchased the first release and want armoured also but will new collectors and ones who missed out just pick him up as well to have the character represented in their collections thus maximising sales? Though everyone here will deny it I'd wager that many would. If they do a slim or re-release of the original figure first they are only going to capture new collectors or ones who missed out the first time round (save any separate upgrade head pack) and would that then eat into potential sales of a Gondorian Armoured Boromir in the future? Not easy to work out and one for Asmus to gauge how many collectors might fit into each category.

At the end of the day I just want more Sean Bean but especially nice shiny Sean in his glorious Gondorian armour waving the flag... my precious!
Excellent post. Not much to add, really.

The Fellowship Nine require re-releases in order to bring in new customers/collectors but they can't be constantly replacing new figures in the production queue. The Boromir releases were not really that long ago but Asmus tends to have smaller runs than other companies, so they sell out quicker.

My recommendation is to slip in a re-visited figure between every "3 or 4" new figures. This provides the established collector with new opportunities while still welcoming in the newer collectors with the first tier figures.

Here's an example:

- Armored Boromir
- Moria Orc/Goblin
- Crown Gandalf the White
- Fellowship Boromir
- Lurtz Urk-hai
- Edoras Eowyn
- Isildur
- Gimli
- Council of Elrond - Elrond
- Wormtongue
- Denethor
- The four Hobbits
- etc...

Just my thoughts...

Excellent post. Not much to add, really.

The Fellowship Nine require re-releases in order to bring in new customers/collectors but they can't be constantly replacing new figures in the production queue. The Boromir releases were not really that long ago but Asmus tends to have smaller runs than other companies, so they sell out quicker.

My recommendation is to slip in a re-visited figure between every "3 or 4" new figures. This provides the established collector with new opportunities while still welcoming in the newer collectors with the first tier figures.

Here's an example:

- Armored Boromir
- Moria Orc/Goblin
- Crown Gandalf the White
- Fellowship Boromir
- Lurtz Urk-hai
- Edoras Eowyn
- Isildur
- Gimli
- Council of Elrond - Elrond
- Wormtongue
- Denethor
- The four Hobbits
- etc...

Just my thoughts…
There seems to be a certain someone you forgot

lotr-haldir.gif

I think in this example we already had Haldir (both versions released in a super double pack with extra expression head showing Haldir looking revolted as a he catches a whiff of dwarf wandering through the forest)

Last edited:
I think in this example we already had Haldir (both versions released in a super double pack with extra expression head showing Haldir looking revolted as a he catches a whiff of dwarf wondering through the forest)
Don’t distract me with nice ideas, we can’t let FlyAndFight off the hook from his tomfoolery.

Not a bad idea. I am all for having the main characters readily available. I collect what I do because I personally like it not because of the value it has on eBay or because there are only X number of them made so I have no issues with rereleases, 2.0s or even 3.0 or 4.0s.

Back