Asmus Toys - Bard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to nail down what's off with it. Does anybody think it could be that Bard has a more protruding brow, not just the hair, but the bone, especially around the bridge of the nose? Really looking for something specific to help Asmus better it.

It's certainly better, but it's not quite there yet, to my eye.

It's a very subtle difference, I think, but for me it's always been about the chin area. Luke Evans has a pointier chin. It's more of a triangular shape and they've squared it off a hair too much here. The corners of his jaw in the back could also be a bit sharper. And his cheekbones could be a bit more angular. His face still looks too full.

(I would also argue that they should give him more of a furrowed, serious brow, because that's the expression he has for most of his screen time. But I also know a more neutral face is the standard in this hobby.)

Definitely think it's an improvement. The paint brings out things in the sculpt not noticed before - like the eyebrows appear to be too thick. Also the lips are better, but still too large.

bard2.jpg

Agree with you, DD! Paint helps bring out the little details. I think the lips are still a bit large (or could it be that the mouth as a whole is too WIDE?), the chin is a bit too WIDE and too ROUND...needs to be a bit pointier. Finally, there needs to be a bit more scruff on the cheeks...sort of like CHOPS.

I think its mostly the paintjob that makes the eyebrows seem thicker, but the sculpt is great.

Seeing it side by side with the actor it seems like the eyes are just a touch too far apart. I don't know what it's called but the bulbous part of the nose between the nostrils looks a little too bulbous. Maybe should be more straight across

Agree with you, DD! Paint helps bring out the little details. I think the lips are still a bit large (or could it be that the mouth as a whole is too WIDE?), the chin is a bit too WIDE and too ROUND...needs to be a bit pointier. Finally, there needs to be a bit more scruff on the cheeks...sort of like CHOPS.

I think its mostly the paintjob that makes the eyebrows seem thicker, but the sculpt is great.

I looked at that closely - I do think they're too thick on the sculpt as well.

Seeing it side by side with the actor it seems like the eyes are just a touch too far apart. I don't know what it's called but the bulbous part of the nose between the nostrils looks a little too bulbous. Maybe should be more straight across

On my previous analysis I put the eyes of the actor behind the eyes of the sculpt and they lined up perfectly - so I don't think the eyes are a problem.

I've been doing A LOT of looking at sculpts lately and it's important to realize how shadows and light distort how a likeness is perceived, both on a source photo and a photo of a sculpt or even a 3D rendering.

Last edited:
A little bit of slimming on the eyebrows would go a long way. The relief in his skin around his mouth could be toned down a bit, but that could be lighting. Perhaps a bit of a slimmer nose bridge and trimmer lips and I think they're golden.

Shoot. Just doesn't look like Luke Evans to me at all. Not even Larry Evans his stunt double or whatever. If he didn't have the outfit there's just nothing about his face that would ever make me guess I was looking at the actor. Oh well.

Untitled-2 copy.jpg

I definitely think it looks closer now.

Two quick things:
1) be easy on the skin texture -- he's starting to look old, like aged skin, too much texture.
2) the chin and the laugh-lines seem almost connected, forming the his mouth and jawline -- I think he needs deeper lines around his mouth and more rounded at the edges of the mouth that then taper off down to the chin.

Last edited:
Maybe if asmus played around with lighting to take the photo, you would be able to test how the shadows form on the sculpt and see if you can match movie stills at the moment with the flat lighting it's hard to tell as the actors face appears almost heart shaped and the sculpt look rectangular

Looks much better, I am good with it.

I know the comparison pic shows him having a wider forehead, but I am sure it was the expression and wig that gave that impression. Compared to Luke's head shape in Dracula Untold, I'd say it's a very good effort.

Now please make sure there is no issue with the body (especially the floppy part), or better yet, make sure it is compatible with that other brand should we want to do a swap.

The paint job definitely makes a difference. I agree with Wor-Gar. As soon as you see the picture, you notice the heavy skin texture. Just needs to be smoothed out a bit.

Thinner lips, wider eyes and cheekbones or narrower jaw.

You totally have to change the face proportion.

The face shape of the actor is more like a "V" but your figure's face shape is like an "U".

Also needs more under-eye bags.

076XzW.jpg

You have still way to go.

Back