Asmus Toys : 1/6th Theoden

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived today, and it is as I feared. Everything about this figure is excellently detailed. That hair piece is awful, and will never be displayed on my Theoden. I really wish they had gone with rooted hair — major step backward.

I wanted to display mine without the helmet but from the sounds of it, that doesn't sound like a good option.

Asmus just can't nail sculpted hair. It always ends up looking like clunky old Sideshow helmet hair. [emoji26]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

He's out for delivery right now! (Sadly, I'm at work and Asmus packages need to be signed for so I won't be able to pick him up until tomorrow morning at the post office.) But still! Looking forward to this one!

Theoden has arrived at Minas Miami and he is fantastic.

I would rate him an 8 out of 10. The only real hit is with that hair piece. The split looks bad and hurts the amazing sculpt, which captures Bernard Hill to a "T". I'm in agreement that there should have been a second head sculpt. One helmeted and one without. They could have even followed Sideshow's example with X-Wing Luke, which had a separate hair piece to allow the helm to be worn or not. I planned to display him with the helmet but it would have been great to be able to display him as in my pictures below. Unfortunately, I won't be doing so. That hair split is way too distracting.

The outfit is very good, armor and the detailing found on it is amazing. His sword, Herugrim, has a metal blade and along with the beautiful helm are works of art.

Just a few pics. Figure hasn't been set up but I wanted to share some with my fellow Freaks.

Theoden 1.jpg
Theoden 2.jpg
Theoden 3.jpg

I was in the same boat so I asked Asmus for a status update yesterday and now I have a tracking number. I would ask them through their web store customer service if I were you.

Thanks for the tip!
I emailed them, was told that my payment hadn?t been received by accounting, forwarded them confirmation of the payment, and now it has shipped and I have a tracking number.
While I prefer to order direct so that I get the figure sooner and also so Asmus gets a bigger share of the profit, this is the second consecutive time I?ve had issues with my preorder being shipped in a timely manner (Arwen), so I may order domestically next time (other than Gandalf, whom I have already put down a deposit on).
Shame about that awful hair piece; I?ll be displaying Th?oden helmeted for sure.

They could have definitely done a better job on the hair. Why not have the hairpiece attach directly to the hairline so you could fit it flush to the forehead? His hair is supposed to be long enough so that it's hanging around the sides and back when he's wearing his helmet too.
977382c83f17da4da2d80fb9ed64ffdb.jpg

Boggles my mind how they could spend the time to create such a great figure and then drop the ball on something like the hair piece. Really wanted to display him without the helmet.

Had to sprint to work this morning and only had a few minutes to inspect him, but I think he looks GREAT. The hair line on mine also seems pretty subtle. Especially if you press it together. It's soft, pliable vinyl, so it might help to warm it up a little, too.

I'll have time late tonight to have a proper look, but my quick impressions are very positive! Definitely one of their BEST likenesses.

A shame about the hair... but then even if it sat flush the hair sculpt itself is not great, like Boromir. With helmet on, its easy enough to add a little real hair spilling out from the helmet at the shoulders to make him look even more real.

The figure looks outstanding with helmet on. Paired with Witchking or Eowyn or Eomer, he will look great.

If one plans on keeping him "helmet-less", you can try using putty to fill in the hair split and paint it to blend in. That would definitely fix that issue. Unfortunately, you would be stuck displaying him that way. By the way, the hair piece is quite thin and pliable so posing his head to either side is a lot easier than other figures.

I just don't understand why they went with the current option. They could have simply had the hair be one complete piece that included that little section at the front, eliminating that horrible gap and allowing him to be displayed nicely without the helmet. If you wish to have the helm worn, have a second hair piece that only pops out of the back.

Hopefully I can pick up a second head sculpt and work on filling in that hair gap.

Making the split at the roots of the would probably look even worse like he's been scalped; I think the concept here is great by trying to seamlessly integrate the split into the flow of the hair- the execution is just poor because mass production quality has dropped compared to the prototype and Asmus- despite becoming masters of rooted hair- are woefully lacking in the sculpting department. Figure still looks awesome but it’s just frustrating when they’ve ended up one decision away from greatness.

Great photos so far! Wish I hadn't passed on Eowyn now but I'd happily take a V2 at the drop of a hat.

Anyone thinking of doing an oil wash weathering on the chain mail? I'm don't know the exact term of the technique but it's kind of like panel lining for robot figures/models. I think it'll give it a bit more contrast.

Back