Anyone notice what Kylo Ren's "lightsaber" is actually called?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandible

Super Freak
Reaction score
I was looking at Amazon today and stumbled across this photo of the new TFA Visual Dictionary and noticed the name of his lightsaber; a Plasma Blade.

I tried looking it up to see if it had been documented anywhere, but couldn't find anything.

At least we now know why it's so "crude."

All lightsabers are technically plasma blades. His appears to literally lose plasma that is falling off of it though which is why they are probably using that title to distinguish it.

Interesting. I've never heard of lightsabers being referred to as Plasma Blades before?

Interesting. I've never heard of lightsabers being referred to as Plasma Blades before?

I don't know if they have. But the official canon description of a lightsaber mentions that the kyber crystal is used to form a blade of plasma. Kylo Ren's is probably just referred to as such since it is too crude to officially label a lightsaber. Still sounds better than the "laser sword" that has been used.

I think they are just referring to the blade itself. Like if any other lightsaber were pictured, it would point to the blade and say "plasma blade" too.

I think they are just referring to the blade itself. Like if any other lightsaber were pictured, it would point to the blade and say "plasma blade" too.

Actually I think you are right. They are probably just referring specifically to the blade since they already label a lightsaber on the cover with Anakin/Luke's.

Guys...This is Disney now. I wouldn't doubt they change things to make it they're own. Lightsabers have been relatively unchanged for 1000's of years. Enter Disney. Probably the most iconic element in the whole Star Wars universe and they 'f' with it.

As mentioned it's the blade, not the saber :<

Guys...This is Disney now. I wouldn't doubt they change things to make it they're own. Lightsabers have been relatively unchanged for 1000's of years. Enter Disney. Probably the most iconic element in the whole Star Wars universe and they 'f' with it.

Not changing, just clarifying ;p

I looked in my older Visual Dictionary's and none of the lightsabers are referred to as Plasma Blades.

Your visual dictionary doesn't need to call it a plasma blade...its a plasma blade by definition of what a plasma blade would be

The blades have been explained as being stable plasma beams going back a ways. Hence why they have a physical impact on things and can burn/cut. Like when they cut through metal like we do with modern plasma cutters.

Is it possible that they want to give reference to "vibroblades" in KOTOR series?

There is something else we can see there, the name of the new TFA Stormtrooper blaster: F-11D

Back