1/6 GalactiReviews: Sideshow Collectibles Deluxe R2-D2 (exclusive)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great review but you forgot to mention that the sides of his legs come off so you can have them in either direction. Apparently, there were times in the film where R2s legs were on backwards but the feet were right. So SSCs made it possible to detach the sides of the legs and swap them to the other leg.

Try it out!

...SDCC hands on review!

Thanks kevb, hope you enjoy him as much as I do :rock

Great review but you forgot to mention that the sides of his legs come off so you can have them in either direction. Apparently, there were times in the film where R2s legs were on backwards but the feet were right. So SSCs made it possible to detach the sides of the legs and swap them to the other leg.

Try it out!

...SDCC hands on review!

Right, I knew about that and forgot to put it in the review. I've added it to the sculpting section, thanks for the reminder :duff

Also, I've added in Lopie's great customizing tip on removing the layer of weathering using rubbing alcohol. I haven't done it myself yet, but it seems the weathering wipes off quite easily. I'm thinking I'll remove it on mine and then go back with a weathering kit and see if I can get a better overall look.

It's pretty easy to use, it's similar to a powder make-up, and comes with a two sided brush. So you just apply it by brushing it onto the piece in areas you want to look weathered. I think the Tamiya A kit is the most useful for 1/6, and maybe the D for R2 since it has an oil stain effect.

If you have a Hobby Lobby you can buy it in the model section, and get it cheapest using the 40% of coupon. If not just do an Amazon search for Tamiya weathering kit. It will bring up the options. A is good as the 3 types included are sand, dirt and mud.

There.......r2 boobs
r2_d2_bra_1.jpg

I got mine in and I'm curious why no one mentions the cheapness of the materials- he feels like he's made out of the lightest plastic possible, and the doors do not close flushly. He does not in any way look like metal either as some of these photos appear. He looks perfect but will clearly stick out once the hot toys star wars start coming in. I will sell this as soon as hot toys makes one. I'd say he's worth $100, he's only 160 because of the lighting I'm sure. Not trying to talk smack but let's be honest, this is not worth the price I paid.

Thanks for the boobage assist Barryo :duff

I got mine in and I'm curious why no one mentions the cheapness of the materials- he feels like he's made out of the lightest plastic possible, and the doors do not close flushly. He does not in any way look like metal either as some of these photos appear. He looks perfect but will clearly stick out once the hot toys star wars start coming in. I will sell this as soon as hot toys makes one. I'd say he's worth $100, he's only 160 because of the lighting I'm sure. Not trying to talk smack but let's be honest, this is not worth the price I paid.

I don't think it's that the plastic is light, but that it's very thin. If they were any thicker it would look out of scale. Personally, barring a die cast figure I don't think you could have the materials be any better.

But the floppy doors is a problem, seems some have no issue where as others most if not all of then can open on their own or don't sit flush. Mine is on the lowere end of the problem, so acceptable especially when I just have him chillin' on the shelp (99.9% of the time :lol).

I was wondering if anyone has been able to get the lightsaber to fit inside the compartment in his head, and if so what was the trick? I can't keep the panel open and push the lightsaber down far enough before the panel springs closed on it.

I was wondering if anyone has been able to get the lightsaber to fit inside the compartment in his head, and if so what was the trick? I can't keep the panel open and push the lightsaber down far enough before the panel springs closed on it.

Your best bet is to not even try it. It's not worth breaking R2 trying to make a poorly executed action feature work !!
It was a great concept though, but sideshow did'nt ensure it crossed over on the production figs. Shame really :huh

I've been able to get the lightsaber in by using one finger to hold the hatch all the way to the side and then pushing the saber in. But, honestly it's tough to do and with limited effect as it doesn't really "pop" out when you re-open the hatch.

The more I sit with R2, the more I realize he was just too ambitious of a figure. I think Sideshow would have done better in the end if they'd still charged $150 but included less opening features, or had each one be a plug-n-play where you just remove the hatch completely and then insert the scanner/what-not with a peg.

Kudos on the try, but the action features end up being more of a distraction than a bonus. But still, overall I'm very happy with him and on display he looks incredible :rock :rock :rock

i love mine too, i just don't understand why no one mentions the quality of the material on the sideshow sixth scales. they're noticeably light and cheap feeling compared to hot toys, wish they could improve just a little bit. still though, not touching him he looks awesome.

I don't know if it's cheap materials, or that in this scale anything properly scaled in plastic would feel light and "feel" cheap. Not sure if the fittings needed to be tigher, or maybe more magnets to help hold the doors closed :huh

Back