Anyone else embarrassed by 1/12 figures? (Meeting chaired by the President of the Collector Freaks Kylie Minogue Fan Club)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an interesting post that I couldn't resist replying to. For me, I collect a tonne of stuff that is and isn't toys (I have a 'questionable' amount of vintage boomboxes, for example), but collecting for me is all about passion. All my collecting interests are driven by passion and from that standpoint I rarely, if ever sell anything on cause it means and represents something special to me. Be it a childhood memory, or a new IP I'm a fan of or whatever. I think that as long as whatever you collect comes from that direction, you can't go wrong and you should be proud of your collecting being some of the purest joy you can experience.

The other side of this is that I have a really bad habit/psychological condition for neeeding to own 'something physical' from anything I love that has to be kept in check. The toys sure fit into that for a lot of things, but owning the boomboxes featured in favourite movies or music videos, or printed matter from other interests from the 70s and 80s, or promotional material for defunct brands I loved as a kid, it begins to add up over the decades.

As an example. DARK was a recent TV show I adored from beginning to end and became one of my all-time favourite series. But there was zero merchandise or anything licensed. So my passion was requited by purchasing the same model Walkman used as a prop in it and restoring it and then completely replicating the made up prop cassette used in it. I then had to get all the 80s songs featured in the soundtrack recorded on that cassette. This was a substantial amount of money and huge amount of hours sunk into to make something I was happy with. And now I have a 'piece' of DARK in my collection I really love.

But yes, this kind of thing is something I'm really aware of that I try to temper...

Being australian, she's been front and centre in the country's pop music for decades. Of her early work, Hand Your Heart is a real favourite, but I've enjoyed other songs from her Impossible Princess and later albums. Singles only, and usually the ones with the cleverer videos, like You Did It Again and Michel Gondry's Come Into My world.

And the video to Put Yourself In My Place gets frequent, ahem, revisitations..

She can't be respected enough for reinventing herself and keeping her fans lifelong ones. I mean, you've only got Madonna on a world-wide scale that's done that over as much time and she lost her way a hell of a lot more often than Kylie ever did.

And as a bit of a Kylie factoid for any other .au folks on here: I currently have up in my bathroom the Kylie and Jason month from 1989's Larry Pickering calendar. Purely for the obvious reason.

The first Kylie Minogue song/video I heard/saw.

The second Kylie Minogue song/video I heard/saw.

The last Kylie Minogue song/video I heard/saw.

A video I saw that came up on a search.

She can't be respected enough for reinventing herself and keeping her fans lifelong ones. I mean, you've only got Madonna on a world-wide scale that's done that over as much time and she lost her way a hell of a lot more often than Kylie ever did.
David Bowie.
The first Kylie Minogue song/video I heard/saw.

The last Kylie Minogue song/video I heard/saw.

Can't believe I forgot that one. No really, how did I forget that one? LOL

I do remember being shocked when that broke.

This is an interesting post that I couldn't resist replying to. For me, I collect a tonne of stuff that is and isn't toys (I have a 'questionable' amount of vintage boomboxes, for example), but collecting for me is all about passion. All my collecting interests are driven by passion and from that standpoint I rarely, if ever sell anything on cause it means and represents something special to me. Be it a childhood memory, or a new IP I'm a fan of or whatever. I think that as long as whatever you collect comes from that direction, you can't go wrong and you should be proud of your collecting being some of the purest joy you can experience.

The other side of this is that I have a really bad habit/psychological condition for neeeding to own 'something physical' from anything I love that has to be kept in check. The toys sure fit into that for a lot of things, but owning the boomboxes featured in favourite movies or music videos, or printed matter from other interests from the 70s and 80s, or promotional material for defunct brands I loved as a kid, it begins to add up over the decades.

As an example. DARK was a recent TV show I adored from beginning to end and became one of my all-time favourite series. But there was zero merchandise or anything licensed. So my passion was requited by purchasing the same model Walkman used as a prop in it and restoring it and then completely replicating the made up prop cassette used in it. I then had to get all the 80s songs featured in the soundtrack recorded on that cassette. This was a substantial amount of money and huge amount of hours sunk into to make something I was happy with. And now I have a 'piece' of DARK in my collection I really love.

But yes, this kind of thing is something I'm really aware of that I try to temper...

I am very much the same. I collect records, art, toys, old technology and others mostly for nostalgia.

It’s not the right place for me to go into details here but I had a very unhappy childhood so the things which gave me comfort back then (starting with She Ra!) are the same which give me a feeling of security now.

It’s an odd phenomenon and something I have to keep an eye too or my apartment would become a hoarder’s paradise, but it’s mostly a lot of fun!

--

David Bowie re-invented himself more than Kylie and Madonna or likely any other musical artist in our lifetime.

To this very day, his loss/passing is still felt and remembered.

1650472612232.png

@p3ss3ssod

SLAP.png

Ugh you picked the WORST. Try these!

2003:

1994:

Last edited:
Oh and of course:

The lyrics to this song are actually about death, ‘go OUT dancing’, not partying:

Speaking of Bowie, Kylie mixes Fashion into her own track live:

Now that’s more Kylie proper meat!

Last edited:
By the way, to make this more relevant, if you search eBay, both on sale and sold items, you’ll find that some Kylie records go for hundreds of £s. Some have been known to reach thousands for the very rarest. I have one worth over £5000 at least!

(I love the renaming of this thread. I can’t help that it turned into half a Kylie thread, she’s Queen! Plus, you’d be amazed how many people collect her records and how much they sell for. Hundreds, even thousands for the rarest.)

You're welcome.

:wink1:

Sorry to the David Bowie fans here, I meant to specify female recording artist.

I could've sworn I did, but posting after midnight right before I turned in was my downfall apparently.

Ditto the naming of this thread, love it. Has no one posted this one?

She is a certified legend even if her music isn’t quite to my taste. This was when I knew she would be a big star. Live singing on a live tv show. Uncommon in Australia at the time, especially for a Stock Aitken Waterman protege.

I have an uncle who is an absolutely crazy fan bordering on stalker. He goes to all her shows and Kylie even knows who he is.

Ditto the naming of this thread, love it. Has no one posted this one?

She is a certified legend even if her music isn’t quite to my taste. This was when I knew she would be a big star. Live singing on a live tv show. Uncommon in Australia at the time, especially for a Stock Aitken Waterman protege.

I have an uncle who is an absolutely crazy fan bordering on stalker. He goes to all her shows and Kylie even knows who he is.

Wow, that’s an oldie. She performed that second song before she’d even released her first album.

For the Americans here, Kylie is absolutely MASSIVE in Europe, especially in the UK, and Australia. As big as Madonna in the latter two.

She’s the biggest selling female Australian artist (even though she’s half British) of all time, worldwide. She been honoured by the Queen in the UK, given the highest honour in France, etc etc. 8 number one albums in Britain, 3 in the last 5 years.

Essentially Kylie’s a household name everywhere but the US, even though she has had hit singles and albums over there. Even her last two studio albums charted quite well in the states, and of course her album Fever sold a million copies there in the early ‘00s.

Back