Anyone else embarrassed by 1/12 figures? (Meeting chaired by the President of the Collector Freaks Kylie Minogue Fan Club)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one and only time I ever enjoyed Kylie Minoque:

Of course any "Moulin Rouge" geek already knows when her eyes turn red right at the end of the clip and she lets out a banshee wail, that's Ozzy Osbourne's voice!

The one and only time I ever enjoyed Kylie Minoque:

Of course any "Moulin Rouge" geek already knows when her eyes turn red right at the end of the clip and she lets out a banshee wail, that's Ozzy Osbourne's voice!

I can turn anyone into a Kylie Minogue fan given the time. She’s had so many incarnations, dabbled in so many sounds and art that there’s plenty for everyone. The campy stuff, which I’m not actually a fan of, is just unfortunately her work which gets the most attention.

I no longer buy just for the sake of getting something new
Quoting myself here but when I thought more about it this isn't even accurate. Overall I buy significantly less than I used to but I do still buy ''for the sake of it''. I got NECA's figures from The Predator - a truly awful film - just because the figures were well done. I've got their Terminator Genisys and Dark Fate figures. I started collecting their movie TMNT line despite having not followed the Turtles franchise since I was a child. I went back and started collecting NECA's Alien VS Predator figures and their Kenner tributes line despite initially passing on all of those when they started. Most recently I bought some Star Wars Black Series despite resisting those for years.

So I don't know what I was saying with my above quote :slap

Quoting myself here but when I thought more about it this isn't even accurate. Overall I buy significantly less than I used to but I do still buy ''for the sake of it''. I got NECA's figures from The Predator - a truly awful film - just because the figures were well done. I've got their Terminator Genisys and Dark Fate figures. I started collecting their movie TMNT line despite having not followed the Turtles franchise since I was a child. I went back and started collecting NECA's Alien VS Predator figures and their Kenner tributes line despite initially passing on all of those when they started. Most recently I bought some Star Wars Black Series despite resisting those for years.

I go through periods of doing that too. I bought the NECA movie Turtles. Yes I loved them as a child but it was a craze and did I really need to pay £100 for 4 figures I had no idea where to display (which have now ended up in the box I mentioned I was going to start up at the beginning of this thread)?

I was getting a bit obsessed and I’ve only ever let my music collection get obsessive before (and a bit of an art collecting thing until I realised that was only for millionaires.)

It’s now absolutely only 1/6 or statues of things I’ve either loved dearly most of my life or have fallen in love with properly more recently. And that’s quite enough I can tell you. I’ve got 5 Doctor Who 1/6 scales on preorder, a BTTF II Delorean, an unofficial Cavill Witcher figure and the new extra bit for the robot Optimus Prime on order so I’m clearly not going without. It just has to be stuff I adore and not so much of it that my office looks like a toy shop. There needs to be balance, and NO MORE NECA.

Last edited:
I keep my hobby stuff, primarily vinyl, 1/6 scales and statues in my office, proudly. They feel like adult pursuits, for the most part.

But then I sometimes partake in a NECA or similar 1/12, or get given them as gifts, but they feel more like toys. I’m 40, it feels a bit tragic for a so called professional to have them on display so they’ve gone into a tightly packed box, albeit with figures visible. I’ve even got a couple of She Ras (leave me alone, I’m ‘a gay’ and I loved her as a kid.)

Is this a silly hang up and I should be loud and proud or is it time to grow up?
I don't give one turt about what someone thinks about my figures. I have 1/4, 1/6 figures and many Neca's. I display them all. I personally like different scales displayed together. Less museum like and more, wow look here, wow look there. But that's preference off course.

Last edited:
I keep my hobby stuff, primarily vinyl, 1/6 scales and statues in my office, proudly. They feel like adult pursuits, for the most part.

But then I sometimes partake in a NECA or similar 1/12, or get given them as gifts, but they feel more like toys. I’m 40, it feels a bit tragic for a so called professional to have them on display so they’ve gone into a tightly packed box, albeit with figures visible. I’ve even got a couple of She Ras (leave me alone, I’m ‘a gay’ and I loved her as a kid.)

Is this a silly hang up and I should be loud and proud or is it time to grow up?
Depends on whether you're collecting high-end or low-end. There are companies that make beautiful high-end 1/12 figures, like InFlames with their Three Kingdoms series or DAM Toys with their unlicensed Platoon line. If your only 1/12 representatives are NECA or Marvel Legends, then yeah, there will be a difference in aesthetic quality when comparing them to statues and Hot Toys.

I wouldn't call it a hangup unless you think the scale itself is what makes a toy feel "grown-up." If it's more a preference for figures that look impressive, then maybe pursue more premium brands in 1/12. It's blowing up in a big way.

Last edited:

--

I used to buy for the sake of it during good old bad days or was it the bad old good days of buying/collecting 1:6 Sideshow figures from SW and a few other licenses before the realization many of them was not worth the value of the $ paid/spent due to design and quality.

So there.

I buy/collect a lot of 1:6 female seamless figures.

1650312786537.png

I buy/collect a reasonable amount of 1:12 female seamless figures.

1650312707333.png

Unlikely, I'll ever venture into buying/collecting 1:1 female seamless figures.

1650313174953.jpeg

I buy/collect a lot of 1:6 female seamless figures.

View attachment 572683

I buy/collect a reasonable amount of 1:12 female seamless figures.

View attachment 572682

Unlikely, I'll ever venture into buying/collecting 1:1 female seamless figures.

View attachment 572685

I'd love your advice on preparing a proper prototype if you know all about that stuff. If you're really knowledgeable and can help more than just a couple of sentences then of course I'd pay.

I'd love your advice on preparing a proper prototype if you know all about that stuff. If you're really knowledgeable and can help more than just a couple of sentences then of course I'd pay.
--

I'm no expert let alone knowledgeable to offer any worthwhile insight within this group.

No worries. I've posted in the correct area for advice on this stuff. I hadn't noticed it before.
--

I learned long ago to not dispense any advice about anything 1:6 because it falls on deaf ears.

I'm all for collectors learning the hard way by getting screwed over repeatedly because of poor choices that could be easily avoided.

I do miss the excitement of getting a long-anticipated pre-order in the post and going through the whole unboxing ritual. I unboxed a couple of previously unopened figures to throw in my recently finished man cave. I haven't visited a toy store in a long time, so these were my last figure purchases of any kind. 2 years old. Still had the new-figure smell tho :)

Lemme try. What’s your favourite music genre?
Impossible question LOL ... I listen to Opera, Classical, Brazilian Lounge, Afro-Cuban House, Hip-Hop, Trip-Hop, Industrial, Classic Rock, Metal, Indie Rock, New Wave, Punk (early 70s to mid-80s), Brit Pop, and a lot of '90s stuff that was covered by the very broad terms 'Alternative' and 'Electronic' in that ... err ... blurry decade.

And a bunch of stuff that probably doesn't fall under any of those monikers.

Impossible question LOL ... I listen to Opera, Classical, Brazilian Lounge, Afro-Cuban House, Hip-Hop, Trip-Hop, Industrial, Classic Rock, Metal, Indie Rock, New Wave, Punk (early 70s to mid-80s), Brit Pop, and a lot of '90s stuff that was covered by the very broad terms 'Alternative' and 'Electronic' in that ... err ... blurry decade.

And a bunch of stuff that probably doesn't fall under any of those monikers.
Ok, so give these a proper try and report back! And this is still on topic because I'll be making a Kylie 1/6th proto.

Trip hop you say?

Electronic you say?

Lounge you say?

Ok, so give these a proper try and report back! And this is still on topic because I'll be making a Kylie 1/6th proto.

Trip hop you say?

Electronic you say?

Lounge you say?

Jump

Sounds like “Kylie Minogue doing Trip Hop” … which is to say it lacks the grit and smoke I associate with the genre. This may not be all her fault; the issue probably lies more with the production which is maybe too clean and poppy. There's no street cred here.

Drunk

There are MANY subgenres of electronic music, this one sounds too much like mainstream-ified Trance with those builds coming up under canned piano and strings. But to be fair it has a noir-ish feel lost somewhere in there. It falls short but I wouldn’t call it trash. Production on this track is more suitable for what it is.

Through The Years

This is smoky and grimy relative to the other two, down to the vocals -- and while it’s got roots in a contemporary lounge sound, that thumping bass and snare under her drawl is much more in line with Trip Hop .. channeling both Morcheeba and Tricky in a good way. I quite like this one and will add it to my library. :duff

I wouldn’t say I’m a ‘fan’ now, but have more respect for her than when this thread started.

Jump

Sounds like “Kylie Minogue doing Trip Hop” … which is to say it lacks the grit and smoke I associate with the genre. This may not be all her fault; the issue probably lies more with the production which is maybe too clean and poppy. There's no street cred here.

Drunk

There are MANY subgenres of electronic music, this one sounds too much like mainstream-ified Trance with those builds coming up under canned piano and strings. But to be fair it has a noir-ish feel lost somewhere in there. It falls short but I wouldn’t call it trash. Production on this track is more suitable for what it is.

Through The Years

This is smoky and grimy relative to the other two, down to the vocals -- and while it’s got roots in a contemporary lounge sound, that thumping bass and snare under her drawl is much more in line with Trip Hop .. channeling both Morcheeba and Tricky in a good way. I quite like this one and will add it to my library. :duff

I wouldn’t say I’m a ‘fan’ now, but have more respect for her than when this thread started.
Well I say mission accomplished, even if a little! Hurrah! :)

Definitely check out her album 'Impossible Princess' for more of the experimental stuff. There's more electro, drum and bass, orchestras, Manic Street Preachers collaborations, Grungtronica etc.

'Kylie Minogue' released in 1994 has elements of deep house, psychedelic, jazz etc. Those two records will be up your alley, as it were.

I feel terribly pleased with myself. Thank you for listening!

Back