Anyone else embarrassed by 1/12 figures? (Meeting chaired by the President of the Collector Freaks Kylie Minogue Fan Club)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a vile thing to say. I did nearly die and Kylie pulled me through.
She's just saving your soul to feast on later in the gibbering darkness at the edge of time.
Just kidding. Don’t worry, I’m not a ‘yaaas slay queen’ gay.
Your particular flavour and/or orientation are of no concern to me. Your necromantic resurrection of 'Loco-motion' via your invocation of she-who-shall-not-be-named is unforgivable.
Kylie’s genuinely a brilliant artist. I’ll just have to teach you the ways of the Minogue.

There is no need to be ashamed let alone embarrassed.

Moreover, no need or want to psychoanalyze the motivation/rationale to collect 1:6, 1:12, 1:18, or whatever scale or type of collectibles.

That's that . . . and now for something completely different.

1650159319329.png

Dolls are always more embarrassing than Toys.

Anyone who tells you that 1/6th dolls are "action figures" is kidding themselves. They are designed to be 'dress up' dolls. We all like and require accurate little outfits.
Thankfully I'm an adult as I only collect statues... wait what do you mean that's not how this works?! :cry::eek:

She's just saving your soul to feast on later in the gibbering darkness at the edge of time.

Your particular flavour and/or orientation are of no concern to me. Your necromantic resurrection of 'Loco-motion' via your invocation of she-who-shall-not-be-named is unforgivable.

Haha, the replies to this post are brilliant (for the record I HATE The Locomotion.)

I’m not ashamed, I just felt a pang of embarrassment when I went into my office the other day and saw the 1/12s on display. It just seems too much, only for me personally of course, I know large 1/12 collections can be amazing so this is NO judgement. I’m the last person in the position to do that. I’ve got about 300 Kylie records, and no exaggeration (although not embarrassed by that at all!)

I think I’ll keep them but put them away, yet proudly display my 1/6 ‘dolls’, my 1/6 Tardis, Dalek and robot Optimus Prime! A nice selection I reckon.

There is no need to be ashamed let alone embarrassed.

Moreover, no need or want to psychoanalyze the motivation/rationale to collect 1:6, 1:12, 1:18, or whatever scale or type of collectibles.

That's that . . . and now for something completely different.

View attachment 572504
Oh yeah?

1650189752771.jpeg

Attachments

• CF38F922-4FFF-40B6-A48C-6D208FDC0CCC.jpeg
    CF38F922-4FFF-40B6-A48C-6D208FDC0CCC.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 24
Both 1/6 and 1/12 can lead to clutter.

But remove clutter out of the equation and a standalone 1/6 piece will always look better than a standalone 1/12 piece.

Only time a 1/12 (or 3.75) can compete with 1/6 is when it’s a vehicle.

Statues look great but many times suffer from boring poses.

Don’t clutter.
Don’t hoard.
Don’t smoke.
No pets.
Be happy.

Last edited:
I’m primarily Star Wars 1:1 high end lineage replicas and 1:6, but I have a large assortment of 3.75” figures which I continue to buy. I like the world building that scale offers, even if it’s the most toy like of what I collect.

I’ve never felt anything but pride in owning those, though it’s a different sort of feeling from collecting Hot Toys figures or even more expensive replicas.

If it makes you happy, then you should feel no embarrassment from it. It is a part of who you are, and life is too short to feel anything but pride and happiness from your own collection.

People who don’t collect may not understand, but that’s not our problem. And there are folks out there who spend an inordinate amount of money on things that I could not fathom doing, so it goes both ways.

I personally try my best not to buy 1:12 scale as it’s not the scale for me, though my wife loves TMNT so we collect the NECA line. But she and I are primarily focused on Star Wars so we try to stick to that.

I see the appeal of the scale. As with everything, proper display and context matters. Something that has a place and is shown off with pride and purpose is a lot more difficult to be embarrassed by than what could be called random clutter.

Being nerdy/geeky is hell of a lot more mainstream now than it used to be so it’s even less out there now. There are tons of people who put stuff like Funko Pops and other trend merchandise on display with no shame so I say you really shouldn’t harbor any negative thoughts about your 1:12 figures.

It's really about how things are displayed. I see a lot of collectors that have a lot of great items but displaying them takes a backseat to acquiring them, and as a result they don't look as good as they could. Better to have fewer items set off well, every single time.

Last edited:
It's really about the how things are displayed. I see a lot of collectors that have a lot of great items but displaying them takes a backseat to acquiring them, and as a result they don't look as good as they could. Better to have fewer items set off well, every single time.
Yeah, I strongly resemble this comment. It's why I've never had a Show Your Shelves thread. And unless/until I address that, I probably never will post my collection on here.

Yeah, I strongly resemble this comment. It's why I've never had a Show Your Shelves thread. And unless/until I address that, I probably never will post my collection on here.
The greatest irony in my collecting career was that I was something like two figures away from curating my perfect capsule collection, and had my glossy white office space delineated in a wide, otherwise empty, L-shaped hallway space that I had knocked a large double-closet out of.

I was about to order a custom neon sign to set off the collection ... but after a decade I lost the passion for curation and sold almost everything off. No regrets, but I never even saw the grand vision come together. :ROFLMAO:

It really is the journey.

I probably wouldn't have done it if Hot Toys prices hadn't spiked to ludicrous levels. The money is going to higher end furniture and contemporary art. I'm happy. Still a nerd, but mostly without the dollies.

She's beautifully proportioned IMO - pretty much my ideal in fact - diminutive but with a great body-length to leg-length ratio.
Actually, my aversion to her music aside, I have a vague memory of noticing that she was aging beautifully and she's a total babe. Not sure if imagining that. :unsure:

Back