Any interest in a Hot Toys Star Trek line?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, that looks great!!! will these be offered???

I received a lot of help from a very kind and good sculptor who is also a member here. Without his help, this sculpt will have a very long way from finish.

I am working on Spock, McCoy, and the Captain's Chair. Once they are finished, I will put them out together with the TOS uniforms that I am making.

Last edited:
I wish HT would do the new Trek. I think those are the only ones I would be interested in. Everything Playmates has made for the new film is utter tripe. I would buy Spock Prime and any of the crew members.

I wish HT would do the new Trek. I think those are the only ones I would be interested in. Everything Playmates has made for the new film is utter tripe. I would buy Spock Prime and any of the crew members.
I think the new ST figures will only be produced as toys. The buying power of the younger audiences can't matched with the older group. In the view of the big companies, toys make more money than collectible items.

I think the new ST figures will only be produced as toys. The buying power of the younger audiences can't matched with the older group. In the view of the big companies, toys make more money than collectible items.

But Terminator has crap Playmates product and Hot Toys product. No reason why Paramount couldn't make a little $ off of us older crowd, too. BTW, I have seen no kids at the stores paying any attention to Trek or Terminator product. They seem to be fixated on that Bakugan garbage mostly, and a few looking at Star Wars Clone Wars figures.

But Terminator has crap Playmates product and Hot Toys product. No reason why Paramount couldn't make a little $ off of us older crowd, too. BTW, I have seen no kids at the stores paying any attention to Trek or Terminator product. They seem to be fixated on that Bakugan garbage mostly, and a few looking at Star Wars Clone Wars figures.

Big company has their problems. I met with Julia, Hasbro GM 2 months ago. She gave me the same answer - "No action figures over US$30". She mentioned something like Hasbro only have two collectible departments: transformer and Star Wars, and they make the less money. (Actually, she doesn't know much about us consumers because she is "the Big Woman" within the organization. She didn't even know HT).

Big company has their problems. I met with Julia, Hasbro GM 2 months ago. She gave me the same answer - "No action figures over US$30". She mentioned something like Hasbro only have two collectible departments: transformer and Star Wars, and they make the less money. (Actually, she doesn't know much about us consumers because she is "the Big Woman" within the organization. She didn't even know HT).

Just shows the US toy companies aren't really "with it"- they don't even understand the adult buyer and what they want (and what they expect quality-wise). Besides, even though they have "toys" in their name, I really wouldn't consider Hot Toys "Toys", per se. More of a high end collectible. Action figures in stores and Hot Toys products are two entirely different ballgames, and if Hot Toys can see fit to make figures from a flop like "The Spirit", I can't see why they wouldn't want to make figures from a hit like Star Trek. The costumes would be a lot less trouble to produce than many of the complicated outfits they have already made.

But by that same token, aren't they easier for us to customize up to snuff for ourselves? I don't have any of the Playmates figures yet (hoping for price reduction), but it seems to me like the kit they come with is workable. Couple that with a quality sculpt made by a member around here (Spenser's look really nice already), and I personally don't feel like I need Hot Toys to get a nice figure.

But by that same token, aren't they easier for us to customize up to snuff for ourselves? I don't have any of the Playmates figures yet (hoping for price reduction), but it seems to me like the kit they come with is workable. Couple that with a quality sculpt made by a member around here (Spenser's look really nice already), and I personally don't feel like I need Hot Toys to get a nice figure.

I guess I'm just pickier. There is something about the quality of plastic HT uses to make the heads that just does it for me. I much prefer a plastic cast head in the proper flesh colors with the paint only as an addition of detail as opposed to a totally painted head. They just don't look as professional most of the time, and don't match what I already have. I like a feeling of continuity through my figures, I guess that's why I'm happy HT covers so many subjects. I have no interest in a figure kitbashed from Playmate's junk. (plus I'm not giving Playmates my money, I don't want to support their mediocrity.)

I much prefer a plastic cast head in the proper flesh colors with the paint only as an addition of detail as opposed to a totally painted head.

I am totally with you there! But yeah, I forgot I wasn't in the "customs" forum (I rarely venture out of there), so I guess I got a little carried away trying to boost morale about the potential of the Playmates figures. :lol They definitely look like garbage on the shelves!

I am totally with you there! But yeah, I forgot I wasn't in the "customs" forum (I rarely venture out of there), so I guess I got a little carried away trying to boost morale about the potential of the Playmates figures. :lol They definitely look like garbage on the shelves!

You're talking about wanting Playmates to be good- I have actually saved the jacket, phaser pistol, and communicator from the old, old 12 inch Capt. Pike just because I hoped one day there would be a cool figure to put it on! So I do understand! I think I probably wouldn't still be buying 12 inch stuff were it not for Hot Toys, I just can't resist their stuff! They've raised the bar so high that I somewhat don't even feel like attempting customs much anymore because they won't look as good as HT product.

I know exactly what you mean! Hot Toys makes everyone else look bad :lol

Last edited:
Back