ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think the kronos/jetfire looks fantastic!

and w/ a little line detail w/ either a little paint or some pin striping stickers... it'll look even better!

here's a quick and dirty w/ some lines added. really works imo...

Thanks for doing this mockup, it does look better with the detailing, the original pics are just too much white.

Here's hoping we get ours in by Saturday/Monday then..
I hope Kapow do still carry on selling the main TP stuff. Andy messaged me on FB a bit ago about how him and other retailers got screwed over with the Warbotron saga. I don't know if that's influenced his decision.

I've cleared a space on my season 1 shelf ready for him :yess:

Based on the in hand reports I've read so far the biggest QC issue to look out for is looseness on the left shoulder joint, but it seems as if it's possible to get at the relevant screws to tighten them.

I'm not sure what happened with Warbotron but it doesn't sound good.

Whatever happens I'll still get most of my Masterpieces from Kapow.

From what I heard, what happened is that BBTS got warbotron much earlier than other stores. Something they were never informed about. That and they were bad at communication in general.

Here's a quick pic of Scoria, which arrived today,

QC on mine is damn good, the shoulder joints are ever so slightly loose but not to the extent that they cause the arm to flop or anything so it's a non issue especially as I take more care with my figures that I suspect some of the people who're always quick to report issues do.

All the other joints are fine, lots of nice, clicky ratchets and the only ones that require real care in moving are the fingers on the hands which're quite tight....it can also be slightly fiddly to get the gun and sword in the right position but they both look great once they're in place. I haven't tried the lights on either weapon yet as I've not sorted out some batteries for them.

Quakewave didn't really have any paint apps so Scoria is FT's first real go at that and they pass with flying colors. The various colours on the smaller detailing that's been sculpted instead of the stickers that the original toy all look very cleanly done and the glossy red finish on the body makes a very nice contrast with the unpainted plastic areas which are a very close match to the original Takara and Hasbro releases of MP Grimlock.

What really catches the eye is of course the chrome which looks stunning....Snarl will probably have to come with a set of sunglasses :lol

Transformation is excellent, the bit where you basically turn the lower robot legs inside out in order to reveal the rear dino legs is one of most enjoyable elements of any transformation I've ever done and the rest is no more difficult than most recent Masterpieces. The only bit that was really fiddly was getting the chest panel to fold down to reveal the cavity that the head folds into as it was really tough to get moving but I just levered it out with one of those little tools you get with HT Iron Man figures and all was well.

Due to the way the last few stages work it might take a little bit of jiggling of parts to get the final few tabs into place in each spot but when it goes you should just sit back in awe at an incredible looking Dinobot, he even has a little flamethrower that flips up in his mouth and I'm hoping someone makes a flame attachment for it.

I haven't tried the other facesculpts yet but they look nice enough and I've also not put an Autobot logo on yet as I can't make up my mind about whether to use a clear backed or white backed one.

Due to it's bulk and weight Scoria has considerable presence either mode, he's a BEAST!

Anyone wanting to display their Dinobots all together in dinosaur mode will need a bloody big case for all 5 as there's no way they'll get on even 2 regular Detolf shelves....they'll probably just fit on one of my Billy bookcases in robot mode as long as I don't make the poses too extreme.

Also included are Grimlock's shoes which fit really well and don't look at all goofy in person and the grey matches up very well with the original MP08 release that I have.

Obviously the shoes don't solve the problems with other parts of his body lacking some bulk compared to Scoria but it'll do until FT's Grimlock comes along.

Fans Toys raised the bar with Quakewave but Scoria pisses on it. It is just that good.

Nice review mate!!! He Looks awesome and I hope all of Kapows stock have good QC like yours.

I can't wait for mine to arrive. I'll be clearing shelf space for him tomorrow.

More pics please !! :wink1:

Bob

Nice review mate!!! He Looks awesome and I hope all of Kapows stock have good QC like yours.

I can't wait for mine to arrive. I'll be clearing shelf space for him tomorrow.

More pics please !! :wink1:

Bob

Thanks!:)

I'm going to do some more pics tomorrow starting with some alongside Grimlock in dino mode.

Here's a quick pic of Scoria, which arrived today,

QC on mine is damn good, the shoulder joints are ever so slightly loose but not to the extent that they cause the arm to flop or anything so it's a non issue especially as I take more care with my figures that I suspect some of the people who're always quick to report issues do.

All the other joints are fine, lots of nice, clicky ratchets and the only ones that require real care in moving are the fingers on the hands which're quite tight....it can also be slightly fiddly to get the gun and sword in the right position but they both look great once they're in place. I haven't tried the lights on either weapon yet as I've not sorted out some batteries for them.

Quakewave didn't really have any paint apps so Scoria is FT's first real go at that and they pass with flying colors. The various colours on the smaller detailing that's been sculpted instead of the stickers that the original toy all look very cleanly done and the glossy red finish on the body makes a very nice contrast with the unpainted plastic areas which are a very close match to the original Takara and Hasbro releases of MP Grimlock.

What really catches the eye is of course the chrome which looks stunning....Snarl will probably have to come with a set of sunglasses :lol

Transformation is excellent, the bit where you basically turn the lower robot legs inside out in order to reveal the rear dino legs is one of most enjoyable elements of any transformation I've ever done and the rest is no more difficult than most recent Masterpieces. The only bit that was really fiddly was getting the chest panel to fold down to reveal the cavity that the head folds into as it was really tough to get moving but I just levered it out with one of those little tools you get with HT Iron Man figures and all was well.

Due to the way the last few stages work it might take a little bit of jiggling of parts to get the final few tabs into place in each spot but when it goes you should just sit back in awe at an incredible looking Dinobot, he even has a little flamethrower that flips up in his mouth and I'm hoping someone makes a flame attachment for it.

I haven't tried the other facesculpts yet but they look nice enough and I've also not put an Autobot logo on yet as I can't make up my mind about whether to use a clear backed or white backed one.

Due to it's bulk and weight Scoria has considerable presence either mode, he's a BEAST!

Anyone wanting to display their Dinobots all together in dinosaur mode will need a bloody big case for all 5 as there's no way they'll get on even 2 regular Detolf shelves....they'll probably just fit on one of my Billy bookcases in robot mode as long as I don't make the poses too extreme.

Also included are Grimlock's shoes which fit really well and don't look at all goofy in person and the grey matches up very well with the original MP08 release that I have.

Obviously the shoes don't solve the problems with other parts of his body lacking some bulk compared to Scoria but it'll do until FT's Grimlock comes along.

Fans Toys raised the bar with Quakewave but Scoria pisses on it. It is just that good.

Superb :D
Is the height difference (even with the platforms) glaring between scoria and Grimlock?

so Scoria has loose joints? great...I thought Fans Toys was PERFECT?

veronica-mars.gif

Superb :D
Is the height difference (even with the platforms) glaring between scoria and Grimlock?

With the shoes on the height to the top of the robot heads are about the same. Scoria looks taller because of the way the dino head sticks up.

The biggest difference is in the bulk, Scoria is a lot chunkier particularly the torso and thighs and it kind of makes Grimlock look like he's lost a lot of weight or something which is why I've displayed one at each end of the shelf and stood Sideswipe in front of Grimlock as it lessens the effect.

Once I've got a couple more Dinobots and moved them onto their own shelf I'll stand Wheeljack in front of Grimlock.....Sideswipe will probably have his brother by then and those two will be inseperable in my seres 1 display :)

Great review of Scoria! I'm excited to get him in-hand later today--I'll just have to wait until after work to open him so I expect it will be a long day.

I pre ordered my Scoria from Omegalock. Never used them before. I've just had notice that they are not going to get the first batch of scoria in because of the QC issues and will instead wait for the second batch which will have the issues corrected. God knows how long I'll have to wait for mine now!

Edit: 2nd batch expected mid to late July. Only another month to go.

I pre ordered my Scoria from Omegalock. Never used them before. I've just had notice that they are not going to get the first batch of scoria in because of the QC issues and will instead wait for the second batch which will have the issues corrected. God knows how long I'll have to wait for mine now!

Edit: 2nd batch expected mid to late July. Only another month to go.

according to some of the guys in the know at tfw... there is no upgraded 2nd batch... its only the 2nd batch that is shipped directly to china. so you'll get batteries w/ it, but its not going to be modified from the original batches.

With the shoes on the height to the top of the robot heads are about the same. Scoria looks taller because of the way the dino head sticks up.

The biggest difference is in the bulk, Scoria is a lot chunkier particularly the torso and thighs and it kind of makes Grimlock look like he's lost a lot of weight or something which is why I've displayed one at each end of the shelf and stood Sideswipe in front of Grimlock as it lessens the effect.

Once I've got a couple more Dinobots and moved them onto their own shelf I'll stand Wheeljack in front of Grimlock.....Sideswipe will probably have his brother by then and those two will be inseperable in my seres 1 display :)

I think my solution will be to have them displayed like this ...
269D25E3-4B22-48EB-8358-2323D38954A6.jpg

It was one of the old posters that captured my imagination as a kid. I think (hope) the size issue won't be as bad with Scoria sat in Dino mode...
We'll see. I think mine is enroute as we speak.

I think my solution will be to have them displayed like this ...
View attachment 117054

It was one of the old posters that captured my imagination as a kid. I think (hope) the size issue won't be as bad with Scoria sat in Dino mode...
We'll see. I think mine is enroute as we speak.

That would look awesome.
I've actually got that & 2 other Dinobot pictures saved on my Phone for a consultation with my Tattoo artist...I'm considering a back piece ;)

Nice pics & review on Scoria Corsair.
Glad you are happy with him.

Still not sure whether I should get on there or not.

Neil

Great review of Scoria! I'm excited to get him in-hand later today--I'll just have to wait until after work to open him so I expect it will be a long day.

Thanks! Hope you enjoy your figure :)

I think the QC issues that have been reported so far are nothing more than the kind of thing that's happened with official products, mass production of anything can never be 100% perfect.

Wanderer,
I remember that image, it should look awesome in figure form! Hope your figure arrives without any issues.

soundwave,
Thanks!

Maybe you could wait until the first Giga Power Dinobot is out and see which you like best when there's a production figure from both to compare?

Showing our age recalling that pic lads :D
Soundwave that'll be an awesome tat to have!
I'm seriously considering painting the horns red.... What do you think corsair?

soundwave,
Thanks!

Maybe you could wait until the first Giga Power Dinobot is out and see which you like best when there's a production figure from both to compare?

Yeah that's what I think I might do.
Scoria should be easy to come by for a while yet so can definitely wait a bit :)

Lol Thanks.
I'm also considering these 2 for it at the mo...

Dinobots_groupshot_by_Dan_the_artguy.jpg

G1-dinobots-botcon2010.jpg

Not sure which will win but it's all down to money & my pain threshold ;) lol
My Leg piece cost me £1200 & that wasn't as big as this...going to be expensive me thinks ;)

Those were the days, visiting toy stores were a thing of wonder, shelves and shelves of G1 Transformers and original Star Wars figures :yess:

I'm happy enough with how mine looks but red horns would make it toy accurate.

If you go for it make sure you get a nice glossy finish.

I have also seen a picture of Scoria's head repainted black with a red visor which looks decent.

Back