All Things LEGOS a.k.a. Bricks Anonymous Group (BAG)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my colleagues won the Lego Star Destroyer in a FB raffle. Lucky bastard!

Skickat fr?n min iPhone med Tapatalk

Lately I've been buying a few Cobi Sets.
I have a Sherman, Centurion, Mark 1, Elefant, and T-34/85 Rudy.
They're solidly built, occasionally you'll have a hollow built into the main structure but overall, solid. There's more attention to the outside appearance of the model than anything inside, they usually have no internal accommodation for a minifigure. Hatches are only deep enough to stand their very short legged figures up and waist high out of the hatch. The Rudy tank is a bit special because it's based on a communist era TV series called "Four Tank-Men and a Dog" so it has four tank-men minifigures, and a dog. So the front of the tank can hinge upwards and a single driver can be placed inside, there's only one working hatch on mine so one minifigure can be placed standing up in the cupola. the two other figures and dog simply have to stand next to it. Engine detail on all the tanks is either a print on a plate or more often a simple basic molded engine plate that's used for all tanks, no mater if it's accurate or not, and a hatch or two that hinges to expose the engine compartment.

Cobi's system is interesting, they have clearly copied brick/plates from Lego or Mega Bloks, but also have their own brick/plate designs that are quite innovative. There's anti-stud on to and bottom bricks, there's positive-stud on top and bottom plates (I don't know if they came up with this or Mega Bloks) there's hinged smooth plates, plates with rivet texture on the outside, plenty of different sized barrel pieces and barrel connectors, and a cleaver tiny hollow stud piece that you use a special tool to place on the anti-stud side of plates to turn the bottom of the plate into a positive studded side, Also a larger stud piece that can be placed into the anti-stud side of a brick to do that same.
Mini-figures are terrible, but better than Cobi's Legoman knock-off. I've grown to kinda like them more than at first but I still throw them into a bag at the end of it. Some are truly creepy looking but still cute in a way. If you're wondering, yes Legomen can be placed in the tank, and the tanks are in scale for the most part, possibly a little on the small side with Mega Construx minifigures, just don't expect to place Mega figures inside or even in the cupolas, they won't fit.

The best part of Cobi sets are the tracks, there's three sizes (possibly four) with multiple types of wheels. I only have experience with the large and medium size tracks. you put them together one link at a time and as long as you are patient and take your time to get the links together properly, they work well. I've heard in youtube reviews that the medium size tracks (they're on the Sherman) have issues like stressing, breaking, or not rolling very well at all. I took my time and did stress a link or two but there's extras so in the end, mine rolls easily, no issues at all with the medium tracks. Also all tanks have printed bricks, no stickers but the World of Tanks sets do have optional stickers and the planes and ship models unfortunately have mandatory sticker detail that are placed over multiple pieces, not good.

Prices for people in the US are higher than in the UK or EU or Australia. They might be more accessible for people in Canada. So try and look for deals, I bought the Rudy T34/85 in a crushed box for a discount on Amazon and was lucky that it was undamaged and complete and also the right set I wanted. That's the other issue with Cobi sets, there are multiple versions of the same type of tank, as far as I've been able to figure, the T-34/85 has about 9 versions, a few are very similar with just different graphics on the box, prints, and minifigures but several have different builds, including one that has two working cupola hatches and a tarpaulin. When buying sets on Ebay, Amazon, or Walmart you can very easily get a different version than what is pictured or listed. I bought a Sherman on Ebay and was sent a different version than what was pictured, and ended up paying more than I wanted to. Different sets can have a specific number, but more often are differentiated by a letter suffix that's ignored in listings.

Does anyone know of a place that carries Cobi sets in the US other than Amazon and Walmart? I found a couple of websites but no Brick and mortar stores. If there is a website, does anyone have experience with them?

Last edited:
So, I walked into a Walmart today hoping to get lucky and find a Hela & Skurge ML 2pk for $13.

But then instead I find, surprisingly, a brand new Lego Voltron sitting on the shelf in the Lego isle (not sold in stores other than Lego stores). Pick it up, scan it... only $120. Check online, nowhere is he less than retail of $180.

Walk in hoping to spend $13, walk out spending $130... :slap

Sometimes I hate being a collector.. Not sure if I should be happy or mad I bought it.. :lol

That's some good fortune, I've searched for Lego on sale and never found anything I really wanted, even the crap I do find are not reduced for a large discount. I still haven't bought the Voltron set. I also payed $30 for the Skurge and Hela set.

For anyone interested, both Amazon & Target have the SW Lego Sandcrawler on sale for only $70...

That's 50% off from the retail price of $140. Not too often SW lego sets get that kind of discount. Great deal for those who don't collect the UCS sets.

Over the weekend I picked up the Mega Construx Game Of Thrones "The Iron Throne" (GKM68) set and a GOT Rhaegal Dragon Egg building brick set at Target.

I only had time to build the Dragon, great set! The paint is well done, the build is a bit different from Mega's other Dragon egg sets because it's technically a Wyvern, there's no slime to deal with and the eggs are colored and labeled specifically so no "blind bag" random choice. Nice size to the Minifigures, they're about the size they were at the beginning of season 5, still large enough to be intimidating to a minifigure. The eggs are unique to this GOT series, they're smaller than 1:1 scale, more like 1:2 scale. They only had one egg left so Rhaegal is the one I grabbed.

The Iron Throne set is interesting, I didn't even know this was coming. There are printed sigils for each of the four minifigures to place into the throne to "choose" who sits on the throne. I think maybe they did this not knowing what happens in the 8th season. Still looks cool. The minifigure printing can be all over this unfortunately. I had 6 to choose from and picked the best, all of mine look great. Best to pick this out in person.
You can buy them (Iron Throne or the individual small Dragon sets) right now from Amazon here for the same price as Target:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SRK63H8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Bags 1 to 5 done. The frame certainly comes together in ways that I'm not used to. The way in which the bottom panels connect to the frame is interesting too. Assembling all the greeble is certainly tiring, but it's starting to look pretty nice!

20191024_215930.jpg

Pics online of ucs 89 batmobile. Hope it?s real.

Attachments

• CC8E4976-C0DF-4502-A856-106E6E25C809.jpeg
    CC8E4976-C0DF-4502-A856-106E6E25C809.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 129
  • C023C73B-87D2-4000-BC11-5AF302D52680.jpeg
    C023C73B-87D2-4000-BC11-5AF302D52680.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
  • 7DA95CC8-972D-4D98-9969-87B5E5A64EDB.jpeg
    7DA95CC8-972D-4D98-9969-87B5E5A64EDB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 130
I really hate the UCS sets...... :lol

Some of them are amazing. That Batmobile looks awesome, But I just can't justify the price when I buy/collect too much other stuff. The only one that will be mine is the Falcon at some point. Figure I got another year before it's retired to talk myself into it..

I really hate the UCS sets...... :lol

Some of them are amazing. That Batmobile looks awesome, But I just can't justify the price when I buy/collect too much other stuff. The only one that will be mine is the Falcon at some point. Figure I got another year before it's retired to talk myself into it..

In the same boat here, I have never put a UCS set together, they're just too expensive. The closest I got was the Saturn V, this year I'm hoping I can afford the LEM or Slave One models with gift cards.

The '89 Batmobile does look awesome though, I'm guessing it'll be at least $300.

Bags 11 to 14 done to complete the top panels. Love how the cannons come together on the top - I get a lot of joy just spinning the damn things! :D On the home stretch now!

20191102_144423b.jpg

All done, and yes it's one big mofo!! I'm actually more scared about moving this thing around than the UCS Falcon. I have no idea where I'm going to display it, but that's a problem for another day :D

20191103_180902b.jpg

Seems strange that the vehicle is so out of scale for the minifigs.

I imagine if they had to scale the vehicle down they'd lose fidelity in the design ... oh well.

Back