5 reasons why Terminator Salvation failed at the box office

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerdurden

Super Freak
Reaction score
ok, a disclaimer upfront:

i know it's a little premature to conclude that terminator salvation is a box office failure. but based on the numbers so far, many box office watchdogs are saying it'll be near impossible to make it to $150 million (the final domestic tally of T3). and this movie apparently cost around $200mill to make, not including advertising/marketing costs. in the end, it'll be profitable due to the international grosses, dvd sales, plus misc anciliary stuff.

but on the whole, salvation has been deemed by many to be a major box office disappointment. and i've got a few theories why (in no particular order):

1) no arnold schwarzenegger.
to moviegoers, arnie is terminator and terminator is arnie. it's just hard to imagine the franchise without him. and when the posters and trailers revealed arnie's conspicuous absence, a lot of people turned off emotionally. arnie was their strongest emotional connection to this franchise. and really, what is hollywood's current obsession with remakes/reboots if not to tap into people's emotional connection with established, familiar properties? it's a built-in, instant audience ready for the milking. so when they lost the governator, they lost a good portion of that built-in audience.

but here's another disclaimer, i'm not saying everyone was hard-up for an arnold schwarzenegger movie. his star power today is obviously much diminished. BUT in the context of the terminator series, people wanted n needed a familiar face. but they did not get it. so they switched off.

2) Terminator 3.
okay having said all that about arnie, his very last movie did NOT go down too well with the general moviegoing public. it made money, sure. and it was arnold's biggest paycheck. but there was a distinct feeling of anti-climax after the cinematic high that was terminator 2: judgment day. there was a sense that the franchise had somewhat run its course.

and the long span of time between t3 and salvation only served to magnify that impression. in the wake of crowd-pleasers like transformers and iron man, the terminator series had become yesterday's entertainment for today's audiences. it needed a huge creative shift to give the people something they'd never seen before, yet still identifiably "terminator". unfortunately, what we all got instead was...

3) the McG stigma.
i think this one was easy to spot a mile away, much like the T600's. mcG has long been the fanboy community's favourite whipping boy and a symbol of what they hate abt the hollywood machine. the fans ranted: what kind of director intentionally goes by a pseudo-fast food name? a pseudo director, that's who. a guy whose most memorable output has been the charlie's angels movies. disposable fast food movies. and guess what? it wasn't just the fanboys who thought so. regular folk, upon hearing THAT name being attached to a property previously helmed by box office champion and all-round king of the world james cameron, did a "wtf? what kind of director calls himself mcG? and for a TERMINATOR movie?? get outta town!"

now, let me make this clear: this isn't MY opinion. it's what i've been hearing everywhere, from normal folk. granted, many people don't usually take note of the director of a movie. but the firestorm raised by the fanboy community on the net was so loud and clear, even joe public noticed. which brings me to the 4th reason...

4) the internet and word-of-mouth.
we live in an age where everyone is connected. and information is passed on almost instantaneously. nothing stays "secret" for long. and when the fan community got wind of what mcG and company were doing to this near-sacred franchise, they went ballistic. the original ending, where john connor would die and be replaced by a cyborg was to them the ultimate sacrilege. they raged, they protested, they bayed for blood. and it was all over the net. on websites, on forums, via email. the supposedly top-secret ending had been spoiled by this leak. and so the filmmakers changed it. damage control 101... or so they thought. the damage had already been done.

it was still relatively minor at this stage, cos most of joe public still didn't care too deeply abt the so-called troubled production. until of course, that infamous christian bale on-set outburst. that was leaked out, again via the net. then it really exploded. joe public kinda started connecting all the dots: fast-food hack director named mcG + horrible ending that had to be changed + main star having emotional meltdown on set = hmmmm, sounds like a train wreck.

do note that i'm not talking about the actual quality of the movie itself. the actual quality of a movie often has little to NO bearing on its performance at the box office. hence, we get absolute crap like the "scary movie" or "saw" series making big profits time after time. what i'm talking about here is PERCEIVED quality. people were already suspicious that arnold wasn't in it, then all the other issues surfaced, and they perceived that it probably wouldn't be very good. so many people stayed away. and talking about perceptions, it leads to...

5) the PG-13 rating.
now, let's get one thing straight. the terminator series has always been adult domain. it's bleak, it's grim, it's unflinchingly violent (when it needs to be). mcG tried to downplay the pg-13 rating by comparing it to the dark knight, also pg-13. he said the batman film was made "compromise-free". well, yes sir. it was. but terminator salvation was definitely compromised.

there's a kind of brutality in the language and the violence of the terminator universe that neccesitates a stronger rating. like the R rating. and it's a very jarring downgrade from a series that has always been R to a pg-13. none of the batman movies were ever rated R so that transition was non-existent, even though the dark knight was noticeably more adult and grittier than before. so to the moviegoing public, the perception is that compromise HAS occurred.

now, ultimately the studio (warners) was thinking of the bottom line. by making it pg-13 they could reach out to a much broader audience, especially (and crucially) the teen crowd, who have tremendous spending power. but to me, this was the WRONG strategy. because they alienated their core target audience: older males (say 18 to 35). maybe "alienated" is too strong a word. but they certainly lost a lot of credibility when people found out what the rating was. they perceived it as a wimped-out, sissy-fied terminator movie. and that furhter added to all the negativity already surrounding the movie. would salvation have made more money if it was rated R? maybe, maybe not. it isn't as black & white as that, but to me it CERTAINLY hurt the movie's credibility and viability as a continuing franchise.

okay, u guys are more than welcome to tear my theories apart. in fact, i welcome opinions. that's why i wrote this long piece. i want to know what u guys think. are there any other reasons why u think terminator did so poorly at the box office.

and please, no "cos the movie sucks, that's why" comments. we're talking opening weekend numbers, so even though critics' reviews and after-screening word of mouth hurt it, we've seen MANY other movies in the past where reviews were savage yet the movie made huge box office the first week or so.

i'm all ears...

Man you got a point
I agree with the first theory.People wont see the movie due to arnold absence.Arnold IS terminator so the movie loses much from that\

I also agree with the 'terminator series had become yesterday's entertainment for today's audiences line'.They took a masterpiece and turned it to a movie for the young ones.

It's gone up against to many other movies that are arguably better.
Star Trek, Up and Drag me to hell
There had to be a causality and T Salvation was it?
Plus the PG-13 has not helped.

It failed because it was appearantly a bad movie (hasn't been released here yet) that the critics ripped into. Doesn't matter if there are pre-conceived notions; if the movie's good/appealing, it'll be a success. If it sucks or if it's radically different from what Joe Popcorn likes, it fails.

There is no need for this thread, when there is already 3 Terminator threads spred out among the forum.

Some points to consider:
"there was a sense that the franchise had somewhat run its course."

Much validity to this...consider that the FOX TV show never did all that well in the ratings dept and was just cancelled. I thought the show itself was quite good. Perhaps people just had enough after T2.

The "Bale" factor...many people were turned off by CB's rant, as well as the incident with his mother/ sister some months ago. Bale seems to have lost a lot of goodwill with the moviegoing public.

The movie itself...well, it just wasn't all that good. Word of mouth and overall reviews were not that favorable. I call it the "Iron-Knight" factor...after Iron Man & TDK, the bar has been raised in terms of the quality of movie people expect from their comic book/ sci fi/ fantasy movies. T:S didn't deliver....neither did Wolverine. Star Trek & UP deliver the goods....and the payoff will be huge dollars. ST is now the highest grossing movie of the year & the first to top $200 Million. UP won't be far behind.

I agree that other poorly reviewed movies have done well recently...case in point, "Mall Cop" & "Night at the Museum 2"...but it's worth noting that both are family friendly movies that are considered "safe" for the aforementioned target audience.

I don't think the PG-13 rating really was all that much of a factor. I'd say The Terminator and Salvation were dead equal in terms of violence, scary moments, any of that. The only way the PG-13 rating really sets it apart from the others is it doesn't have all the f-bombs T2 had. I really think this movie is just fine rated what it is, I don't know what could have been in it for it to go up to an R rating that wouldn't seem like edgy just to get the rating or pointless swearing just to be cool.

And if anything, being PG-13 should make it more accessible. I have a friend whose 8 year old son wants to see T:S and I said it'd be ok, because I know the kid's seen Transformers and other equivalent movies in the PG-13 realm, that kid would never see T:S if it were R, so there's 2 more tickets sold at least because of the rating.

I agree that the PG 13 was not much of a factor, but don't forget Arnold's graphic eyeball removal in T1. It may be scifi but it is still pretty disgusting. T1 had a well earned R, IMO.
Also, Salvation was the first time I actually DID feel the PG13 while watching. It just seemed like all the violence was machines exploding aside from the wound inflicted near the end. It was touting itself as a war movie but most of the action was harmless. I never felt any threat towards the characters.
Again, I don't think it was a factor in the Box Office but it did seem very tame compared to it's brothers in terms of violence.
I dunno...I didn't hate it at all but I did feel like I was watching the best SciFi Original movie ever, which is not saying much.

I don't know if the PG-13 rating has to do with the violence or just the writers ideas.

I felt that Live Free or Die Hard delivered just as much violence and action as the other Die Hards, maybe just a bit less bloody, and that the main thing making it PG-13 was less swearing.

T:S just focused more on specific characters that, while in danger, were pretty much guaranteed to live.

I think John Connor being impaled and having a melting Endo gouge his face can be as intense for a younger viewer as Arnie popping out his fake eye in T1.

I think the lack of violence was just a writing choice for the story and what focal points it would have.

Sorry but just having a PG13 on the poster might have put some people off.
Anyway, I'm still going to see it even though T2 ended the whole story and any sequel was just redundant, same goes for Highlander

I agree that the PG 13 was not much of a factor, but don't forget Arnold's graphic eyeball removal in T1. It may be scifi but it is still pretty disgusting. T1 had a well earned R, IMO.
Also, Salvation was the first time I actually DID feel the PG13 while watching. It just seemed like all the violence was machines exploding aside from the wound inflicted near the end. It was touting itself as a war movie but most of the action was harmless. I never felt any threat towards the characters.
Again, I don't think it was a factor in the Box Office but it did seem very tame compared to it's brothers in terms of violence.
I dunno...I didn't hate it at all but I did feel like I was watching the best SciFi Original movie ever, which is not saying much.

good point, yonose. i kinda forgot to include the fact that it FELT like a pg-13 movie.

Sorry but just having a PG13 on the poster might have put some people off.Anyway, I'm still going to see it even though T2 ended the whole story and any sequel was just redundant, same goes for Highlander

yeah, which goes back to my point abt "alienating" the core target audience.

but anyway, i'll concede that the rating was the least of the contributing factors why salvation didn't do well. it was still significant enough an issue in my opinion for it to be included tho...

Sorry but just having a PG13 on the poster might have put some people off.
Anyway, I'm still going to see it even though T2 ended the whole story and any sequel was just redundant, same goes for Highlander

I feel much the same although I remain interested in the terminator universe. I think there always could have been a prequel story set in the future (yet which predates the time changing events of T2 if you know what I mean). A film to show the events of the future that led up to the first 2 films. No T3 or T4 saying ''y'know what, the events of T2 actually only delayed the inevitable'' were necessary.

I agree with Tyler's post, a good gathering of all the theoreticals behind the relative failure of T4. Word-of-mouth hasn't been good and this may influence my decision about whether or not to bother seeing it in the cinema. I didn't have high hopes for it in the first place and the bad reviews compounded it.

There's also the economic climate.

Let's face it, folks are losing jobs or fearing losing them, gas prices are going up again because of summer travel, there's just a growing need for movies to really be worth it to go see.

Economically, let's say you're a couple on a date to go to a movie, even if you just go to the movie, no dinner, tickets alone will run about $20 for the both of you, plus whatever gas it might run you to go out, plus actually going out, which may be more out of your way than just a restaurant for dinner or something. For all that, you're almost at the Blu-Ray/DVD cost of the movie to see it once. With home video being so big for a lot of folks, it's on minds now when people decide to go to a movie or not.

If you're economically having to make movie going a special occassion, a movie really has to be worth seeing in your eyes or from word of mouth to expense it in.

T:S, while enjoyable, isn't a film of a quality that can thrive in those conditions. The children's movies, adult movies like Transformers, and movies getting crazy buzz like Star Trek are going to be your successes in today's movie going world.

There's also the economic climate.

Let's face it, folks are losing jobs or fearing losing them, gas prices are going up again because of summer travel, there's just a growing need for movies to really be worth it to go see.

Economically, let's say you're a couple on a date to go to a movie, even if you just go to the movie, no dinner, tickets alone will run about $20 for the both of you, plus whatever gas it might run you to go out, plus actually going out, which may be more out of your way than just a restaurant for dinner or something. For all that, you're almost at the Blu-Ray/DVD cost of the movie to see it once. With home video being so big for a lot of folks, it's on minds now when people decide to go to a movie or not.

If you're economically having to make movie going a special occassion, a movie really has to be worth seeing in your eyes or from word of mouth to expense it in.

T:S, while enjoyable, isn't a film of a quality that can thrive in those conditions. The children's movies, adult movies like Transformers, and movies getting crazy buzz like Star Trek are going to be your successes in today's movie going world.

maulfan, that's a very interesting practical issue u raised. the economy was something i had not really considered and factored in as an active reason for the movie's failure.

maybe cos in my country (malaysia), the complete OPPOSITE is true. here, going to the movies counts as one of the CHEAPEST ways for a night out. 1 ticket costs 11 bucks in my currency, so a pair of tix if you're on a date is still cheaper than hitting the nightclubs, where the high cover charges and ridiculous price of booze will set u back at least triple the amount for a trip to the cinema. even though dvd piracy is so rampant here, many folks still like going to the movies, it's the most popular pastime...

maybe it's just time to accept that although a bunch of us saw the first two Terminator movies that ultimately we could care less about any sequels. I enjoyed the first two movies but i figured i'll see Salvation at some point - i just didn't care, and they're are a bunch of us........

maybe it's just time to accept that although a bunch of us saw the first two Terminator movies that ultimately we could care less about any sequels. I enjoyed the first two movies but i figured i'll see Salvation at some point - i just didn't care, and they're are a bunch of us........

This is very true, I myself can relate. I did watch the film twice in theatres because I did enjoy it but I wasn't excited before and wasn't really wowed after either. Imagine the non Terminator fan? This film needed way more CGI Arnold in it and also mentioning of him in previews to hype it up more.

Ultimately they hired the wrong director to make this film imo. The first 2 films were more enjoyable because the crew was entirely different from parts 3 and 4. I have always said that the music to a film is VERY important to the overall feel of it.

The trouble is, this movie was constructed in a way that really only makes it's success and value accessible to a focused group of fans of the series, and it will pickup some folks who aren't hardcores, but not as many as it could.

An example of doing things right, to me, would be the X-Files movie in 1998. I had never seen one episode of the show, always sort of had an interest, but the hype of the movie, it looked cool, I watched it, with no understanding of the characters, their backstory, any of it, and it was a very enjoyable film, so much so that I became a fan of the series and caught up on every season and followed it since.

As cool as the Marcus character was, I don't think he's strong enough to touch a wide audience, and with such a focus on him, he'd have to have the oomph.

I like TS, but I can also see where it's box office results are coming from.

I haven't seen salvation yet, and I have no problem with Arnie not being in it. He wasn't really in T3 either.

Back