1/6th Scale Dewback

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be in for a Dewback - SSC could make in something besides poly which I would prefer re the weight. Checked the 'bay also but not paying those prices for what would be a great background piece. HT should just release a DX with Mando - dunno if HT has ever done a rider set.

HT has done a few vehicles but never a large creature I don't think. I assume they would try to articulate it if they did which could really mess with the visual appeal. What Sideshow did with this long ago is pretty perfect.

HT has done a few vehicles but never a large creature I don't think. I assume they would try to articulate it if they did which could really mess with the visual appeal. What Sideshow did with this long ago is pretty perfect.

Agreed. Not even SSC's tauntauns measure up to the Dewback with those unsightly neck seams.

I passed on this due to the chicken feet/legs (and still aren't interested in one mostly for that reason) - I wanted a Dewback much closer to what they made in 1976, warts and all, though I understand that many would see what Hasbro and Sideshow have produced as a design improvement.

Though obviously a 1000% different era, the old Kenner Dewback is still the most faithful to the screen-used prop overall, though Sideshow absolutely nailed the Dewback headsculpt.

Ironically enough, neck seams (and slightly questionable headsculpts) aside, it was also the feet that bugged me about the Sideshow Tauntaun as well - they don't match either the prop or the model at all.

Both creatures to me also should have had swap-out legs so you could make the Dewback/Taun moving or stopped. I also think both could have worked as rotocast figures with limited articulation (think the old SSC Jabba, though rotocast can these days produce incredible detail on-par with polystone statues)

With a much larger collection now, I have also really soured on these massively heavy and fragile (therefore requiring coffin-sized shipping boxes that have to be stored) statues.

JediJim, PM me if you need help with a Dewback.

:yess: Go Jim!

With a much larger collection now, I have also really soured on these massively heavy and fragile (therefore requiring coffin-sized shipping boxes that have to be stored) statues.

Problematic indeed, but so damn cool. Cool to the point personally I can easily overlook the accuracy gripes you have. But I have to start slowing down on these huge items too...but only after I get the Scratch Landspeeder and the Sideshow Rancor :lecture.

Yeah, I'm hoping the landspeeder will have some rapid movement once the COVID situation calms a bit. It's been a few years now.

But I didn't notice the bigger/heavier piece hassles as much when the collection was smaller. It's the movement/lifting issues but also when you have 100 shipper boxes to store the giant ones really stand out. I sometimes feel like an unpaid curator at a museum that nobody visits.:lol

I really loved Slikk's custom "true 1/6" Rancor and the Sideshow piece looks cool, but for some reason the Rancor isn't a burning one for me (thankfully - I'd need a whole new room for that sized stuff.:lol)

And I really don't know why they felt the need to redo the legs/feet on the Tauntaun and Dewback in the first place. It's not like the Dewback would have looked goofy with Rhino-type feet/legs as they are on the prop (and kenner toy,) or the Taun would have looked silly with four smaller toes instead of big three-toe T-rex type feet Sideshow did. While you never see the Dewback's feet (and to some degree lower legs) other than in bts pics, you can see the Taun's feet in the movie.

It's weird Kenner got the feet/legs on both the Dewback and the Taun accurate to the props - well, as far toward right as they could in that simpler-sculpt era.

Yeah, I'm hoping the landspeeder will have some rapid movement once the COVID situation calms a bit. It's been a few years now.

But I didn't notice the bigger/heavier piece hassles as much when the collection was smaller. It's the movement/lifting issues but also when you have 100 shipper boxes to store the giant ones really stand out. I sometimes feel like an unpaid curator at a museum that nobody visits.:lol

I really loved Slikk's custom "true 1/6" Rancor and the Sideshow piece looks cool, but for some reason the Rancor isn't a burning one for me (thankfully - I'd need a whole new room for that sized stuff.:lol)

And I really don't know why they felt the need to redo the legs/feet on the Tauntaun and Dewback in the first place. It's not like the Dewback would have looked goofy with Rhino-type feet/legs as they are on the prop (and kenner toy,) or the Taun would have looked silly with four smaller toes instead of big three-toe T-rex type feet Sideshow did. While you never see the Dewback's feet (and to some degree lower legs) other than in bts pics, you can see the Taun's feet in the movie.

It's weird Kenner got the feet/legs on both the Dewback and the Taun accurate to the props - well, as far toward right as they could in that simpler-sculpt era.

:goodpost:

It is odd that Sideshow didn't get the feet of their creatures as accurate as Hasbro. It wouldn't have required really any additional effort on their part. As for the Rancor, Slikk's definitely seems to have nailed it better in detail and scale but the Rancor scene was so memorable for me as a kid at the movies that it's just something I have to have without question.

And I know what you mean about the museum comment as well:lol. If I were building a new house I would probably put in one of those secret rooms to house my collection that could only be accessed by turning the candlestick on the right 30 degrees to the left.

It is odd that Sideshow didn't get the feet of their creatures as accurate as Hasbro. It wouldn't have required really any additional effort on their part. As for the Rancor, Slikk's definitely seems to have nailed it better in detail and scale but the Rancor scene was so memorable for me as a kid at the movies that it's just something I have to have without question.

And I know what you mean about the museum comment as well:lol. If I were building a new house I would probably put in one of those secret rooms to house my collection that could only be accessed by turning the candlestick on the right 30 degrees to the left.

Yeah, the old Kenner did a pretty nice job and I guess I just couldn't get that look out of my head when I first saw the Sideshow feet. You can see the prop feet in several on-set pics, not that clearly but enough to get the idea they are more like elephant/rhino type feet than slender, long-toed feet and skinny bird-type legs.

This design change must have come from LFL, because you can see that even Hasbro's Dewbacks starting in the late 90s started to get the elongated chicken feet, though oddly, the various Hasbro Dewback legs are thicker than what SSC did - more like Brontosaurus legs.

F8qJK2h.jpg

It's a pity, because if it wasn't for that, I would have bought the SSC Dewback in a heartbeat. They did such an AMAZING job on the headsculpt, even though you can see from behind the scenes pics that the prop's head was even more narrow/slim than SSC sculpted, but that's a very minor nit on an otherwise 10/10 sculpt.

CEnI5WR.jpg

Yeah, the old Kenner did a pretty nice job and I guess I just couldn't get that look out of my head when I first saw the Sideshow feet. You can see the prop feet in several on-set pics, not that clearly but enough to get the idea they are more like elephant type feet than slender, long-toed/clawed feet and skinny bird-type legs.

This must have come from LFL, because you can see that even Hasbro's Dewbacks starting in the late 90s started to get the elongated chicken feet, though oddly, the Hasbro legs are thicker than what SSC did.

F8qJK2h.jpg

It's a pity, because if it wasn't for that, I would have bought the SSC Dewback in a heartbeat. They did such an AMAZING job on the headsculpt, even though you can see from behind the scenes pics that the prop's head was even more narrow/slim than SSC sculpted, but that's a very minor nit on an otherwise 10/10 sculpt.

CEnI5WR.jpg

I own the Gentle Giant Dewback statue and it is enough for me. The SSC Dewbie is cool, but was too big for my place and the legs were too thin, even compared to the GG version - which has also some inaccuracies, but remains a superb rendition in 1/10.

Yeah, they did quite a bit of work on it after that though including removing that seashell/"surf's up"wave on his neck :)lol) redoing the paint, adding the fur "mane" and the saddle/accessories (which adds a lot to the overall shape of the Dewback - looks weirdly "flat as a board" without it) but that clearly shows the ex-museum white rhino body that served as the basis for the creature.

Both the Dewback and the Jerba (from same UK design studio) had some uber wonky/cheapo/70s design aspects for sure :lol(which is very SW to me - like many of the cantina creatures) but you can see that this design cleaned up some, smoothing over the wonky sculpt areas and posing the legs more realistically - could still look cool using Kenner Dewback (just as well-known as the onscreen Dewback) as a guide.

While I get that certain practical aspects you have to fudge in going from onscreen character to collectible - like the IG-88 and 21B props didn't have lower legs/feet - using Kenner as a guide for how to fill those inconsistencies (eg. all modern IG-88 collectibles use Kenner-designed feet) is always the best way to go because those creations are just as iconic as the props themselves.

What's interesting is that the overall creature seems under 6 feet at the shoulder - smaller than you'd think, but you can see in the B&W pic with the sandtrooper I posted above just how small it is. I think it's that iconic low angle Dewback shot that we all think of that makes the Dewback seem bigger than it was.

But yeah Dave W, that special edition Dewback seems to be the basis for many of the Dewback collectibles of the past 20 years - unfortunately.:lol While I can undertsand some of the redesign choices, I'm baffled they messed with that iconic, brilliant Dewback headsculpt.:slap

With the new rancor being $1300, a rereleased Dewback would cost at least $700. Would enough people pay that to justify a rerelease?
I got mine not long ago for less. Keep looking!

Other posters have made a good point about the size and weight of these larger pieces - just gonna console myself that ultimately for my set-up this would be an "environment" piece. Which is great since I like diorama bases, but not CRITICAL. Also have no idea who has Mando licenses or what they might put out in the future - wouldn't surprise me if Iron Studios would do some sort of dewback or dewback and rider in 1/10 poly, which for me would be a lot easier to deal with.

I'm hiding the feet with sand, so not too bothered, though the legs are a bit thin. This piece is magnificient in person especially with a sand trooper all proper with staff. Its a large statue footprint on display......but totally worth it.

The shipping box on this is Yuge. Just going off of the costs on Ecto-1 it will be in the $75-100 range at the wide estimate end. I think it was about $35-$40 bucks to ship about a decade ago when Sideshow had this. Shipping is at least double that now days.

Back