1/6 1/6 Tusken Raider Hot Toys [The Mandalorian]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s interesting examining the construction of the ANH robe as opposed to the Mando version. ANH Tusken robe basically doesn’t have sleeves so to speak. Almost as if two large holes were cut in a sheet then partially sewn up so that only the hands can stick out whereas the Mando version actually has sleeves that stop 1/3rd the way up the forearm. And really tight fitting compared to the ANH robe.

I wonder why those changes were made. Did it seem more practical or as a natural evolution for the clothing as time went by? I’d like to know the thinking behind it and the cleaner look as well.

It’s interesting examining the construction of the ANH robe as opposed to the Mando version. ANH Tusken robe basically doesn’t have sleeves so to speak. Almost as if two large holes were cut in a sheet then partially sewn up so that only the hands can stick out whereas the Mando version actually has sleeves that stop 1/3rd the way up the forearm. And really tight fitting compared to the ANH robe.

I wonder why those changes were made. Did it seem more practical or as a natural evolution for the clothing as time went by? I’d like to know the thinking behind it and the cleaner look as well.

"Simple, elegant, yet bold, dahling."

edna-mode.jpg

This photo illustrates that design...

alan-fernandes-31.jpg

But it's hard getting my head around how it actually works, because on some of them it still looks like properly formed sleeves:

Tuskens_Luke.jpg

There may be two versions. One with just small holes cut in the sheet (which could be the right hand Tusken in the above photo), and others with actual sleeves with very wide openings as with the one in the middle, and below:

CdYjAAgWwAAlF9s.jpg

:unsure:

This photo illustrates that design...

alan-fernandes-31.jpg

But it's hard getting my head around how it actually works, because on some of them it still looks like properly formed sleeves:

Tuskens_Luke.jpg

There may be two versions. One with just small holes cut in the sheet (which could be the right hand Tusken in the above photo), and others with actual sleeves with very wide openings as with the one in the middle, and below:

CdYjAAgWwAAlF9s.jpg

:unsure:

Although overall I do like that The Mandalorian brings back OT characters/designs and we get to have a Hot Toys version of it, ie we finally get a Hot Toys Tusken, it feels a bit like the Pet Cemetery.
Sure the Mando show brings them back but it brings them back wrong.

Although overall I do like that The Mandalorian brings back OT characters/designs and we get to have a Hot Toys version of it, ie we finally get a Hot Toys Tusken, it feels a bit like the Pet Cemetery.
Sure the Mando show brings them back but it brings them back wrong.

That's what I thought at first about the Mando Scout Trooper. Then I began to warm up to the idea of the slovenly Remnant Scout, and love the look of the figure. He exudes a lot of character.

Thankfully HT is also going to let us have the classic ROTJ Scout as well.

Ideally I'd like OT Tuskens. At the moment these Mandos will fill the gap, and satisfy a bit of nostalgia. If HT makes the OT version then I'll likely appreciate the Mando even more, as they'll represent members of a tribe unique to The Mandalorian.

I'm not going to really know how I feel about them until they're in hand, or until Cocoboloboy is able to put a custom cloak on one.

If any of that makes any sense. :lol

For something like the Scout I prefer the look of the original by far, but I also figured it was pretty likely that we would get an OT Scout at some point.

Something like a Tusken Raider is a figure that I felt was a long shot, and am happy to have gotten one at all.

For something like the Scout I prefer the look of the original by far, but I also figured it was pretty likely that we would get an OT Scout at some point.

Something like a Tusken Raider is a figure that I felt was a long shot, and am happy to have gotten one at all.
Yeah, hope I can squeeze the budget and get one, two would be preferable.

Order finalized at Toys Wonderland. Hopefully they’re all caught up with typhoon delays and I get this by the end of the week. I may actually have a custom robe ready by then too. 😁

Ugh, still severely on the fence with this one - I've almost pulled the trigger twice now. I'm a huge Tusken fan but I feel like I'll have this in-hand for a couple of months then HT will tease the OT Tusken I wanted in the first place, like what happened with the HT Mando vs ROTJ Scout and bike.

Mulling what small tweaks I could do (beyond Coco's custom cloak - more centered on the face) to make this a bit more OT-feeling, though the face would take a lot of quite intricate work. The eye tubes are too small and so are the "teeth" compared to an OT Tusken.

It's pretty accurate to Mando, but personally, not sure I want that - to me the Tuskens in the show look pretty funky/off vs the classic OT variety.

With the Scout Trooper, HT had incentive because they wanted to resell that Speeder bike. But with Tusken Raider, theres very little they can reuse. Probably just the weapons. People would expect a new head sculpt too. Not sure they'd be motivated, especially if sales for this are weak.

If anything I can see HT at some point offering an ANH Tusken but reusing this sculpt and changing the clothes ala BTTF Doc.

Fortunately for me I don’t think the slight sculpt differences will bother me once this one is properly customized into an ANH version.

With the Scout Trooper, HT had incentive because they wanted to resell that Speeder bike. But with Tusken Raider, theres very little they can reuse. Probably just the weapons. People would expect a new head sculpt too. Not sure they'd be motivated, especially if sales for this are weak.
Yeah, there are so many differences - the forearms/hands are totally different to ANH. The main reuse would be the neck tank, bandoliers, boots and weapons, plus likely the inner robe. Imo the head would have to be redone for ANH - it's really a pretty significant difference to ANH.
If anything I can see HT at some point offering an ANH Tusken but reusing this sculpt and changing the clothes ala BTTF Doc.

Fortunately for me I don’t think the slight sculpt differences will bother me once this one is properly customized into an ANH version.
Beyond the new cloak, are you planning to do anything more? I've been watching close up revioew videos to see if I can tweak the eyetubes and teeth, but it'd be pretty detailed surgery and likely not worth the effort.

That's the slimmest rifle I have ever seen. Must shoot needles.

Curious to see who here will give this the needed 'dirt bath'...
Most of the Tusken rifles were based on middle east style jezail flintlocks (Afghan/N. Africa/Ottoman/Persian) that were super skinny in terms of the barrel, but yeah certainly seems like HT is pushing the believablity with this Mando Tusken one.

Jezail flintlocks:

1605209221213116.jpg
ONSV6970__02_large.jpg

Yeah, there are so many differences - the forearms/hands are totally different to ANH. The main reuse would be the neck tank, bandoliers, boots and weapons, plus likely the inner robe. Imo the head would have to be redone for ANH - it's really a pretty significant difference to ANH.

Beyond the new cloak, are you planning to do anything more? I've been watching close up revioew videos to see if I can tweak the eyetubes and teeth, but it'd be pretty detailed surgery and likely not worth the effort.

I’ll probably distress/re-color the inner cloak for one thing. Also the hands have wrappings and the ANH doesn’t so I’m hoping those are easily removed. Beyond that and maybe some more clothing tweaks I’m not sure yet until I get him in hand.

Back