1/6 1/6 Tusken Raider Hot Toys [The Mandalorian]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he looks good here:

HT Tusken (1).jpg

Reagan's video showed that there is some weathering, but it doesn't show up well in photos.

Went crazy and ordered a Tusken on impulse from Toys Buying Agent. I’ll have to see how this transaction goes as I haven’t bought anything from a Hong Kong seller before.

I think if this had a proper outer robe and bit of weathering it would easily pass as an ANH Tusken. That last pic Asta shared looks really good except for that robe.

If I can find some material that would work I may take the SS robe to a tailor friend of mine as a pattern and have her make a couple replacement robes for the HT. Would there be any interest in one if I an get her to make more?

I mean we could have not gotten it at all. Sometimes beggars can’t be choosers. I don’t think this looks that bad personally. Even if I would prefer the Original Trilogy version. It’s still a cool figure to have that I wouldn’t have necessarily expected.

I preordered 2 Raiders from TBA a while ago and have not yet gotten an invoice for the balance

If you went with the "later batch" option back then, it's ok. They'll get more stock in the coming weeks to honor your PO.

If they don't sell out during PO, most HK sellers will try and take advantage of the hype around a figure initial release with their first delivery.

I think if this had a proper outer robe and bit of weathering it would easily pass as an ANH Tusken. That last pic Asta shared looks really good except for that robe.

If I can find some material that would work I may take the SS robe to a tailor friend of mine as a pattern and have her make a couple replacement robes for the HT. Would there be any interest in one if I an get her to make more?

Yes, it's that outer robe that creates the biggest difference from the classic OT appearance.

It needs longer sleeves and more volume. Underneath it's similar, apart from the OT having two inner robes, but again they look a bit more voluminous.

tumblr_pmpudaSgBn1x6m6njo1_1280.jpg

ht-tusken-1-jpg.542499

As a side note,interesting you posted that ANH pic - I spent quite a while trying to figure out what color Tuskens actually are onscreen in ANH, and looked at various versions of that pic. It seemed to me they were more taupe-brown than the light sand color we normally associated with Tuskens for many years (starting with the Kenner vintage figure,) and what they matched in Mando.

The Tusken color onscreen seems closer to the new 50th LFL anniv figure Hasbro is doing this year, not the "normal" light-sand yellow color also seen in Mando. They do look different in the short sniper and Bantha scenes, but those Tuskens have no outer cloaks.

STAR-WARS-THE-VINTAGE-COLLECTION-LUCASFILM-FIRST-50-YEARS-3.75-INCH-TUSKEN-RAIDER-oop-1.jpg

UctQgPn.jpg

As a side note,interesting you posted that ANH pic - I spent quite a while trying to figure out what color Tuskens actually are onscreen in ANH, and looked at various versions of that pic. It seemed to me they were more taupe-brown than the light sand color we normally associated with Tuskens for many years (starting with the Kenner vintage figure,) and what they matched in Mando.

The Tusken color onscreen seems closer to the new 50th LFL anniv figure Hasbro is doing this year, not the "normal" light-sand yellow color also seen in Mando. They do look different in the short sniper and Bantha scenes, but those Tuskens have no outer cloaks.

I think the Kenner figures have been responsible for ingraining a lot of what we think about Star Wars in our minds.

Back then, before there was the constant access to the films, quality stills or a variety of behind the scenes images taken in different lights, the figures were the most prevalent on-hand reference there was. Kenner were even making things up themselves because even they didn't have access to all the sources.

It's funny also, how we accepted the plastic capes on the Tusken, Vader, Obi-Wan and Lando, even though their design was nothing like real thing. Simpler times. :lol

I think the Kenner figures have been responsible for ingraining a lot of what we think about Star Wars in our minds.

Back then, before there was the constant access to the films, quality stills or a variety of behind the scenes images taken in different lights, the figures were the most prevalent on-hand reference there was. Kenner were even making things up themselves because even they didn't have access to all the sources.

It's funny also, how we accepted the plastic capes on the Tusken, Vader, Obi-Wan and Lando, even though their design was nothing like real thing. Simpler times. :lol
Yeah, the Kenner figures were an artistic interpretation of the characters - Greedo is a classic example, same with R2.

They could have made them closer to screen accurate but for whatever reason they made quite major reinterpretations of the looks of many characters, but less so as the line went on. As the 70s became the 80s SW figures got more and more screen accurate. BY POTF they were getting quite accurate.

It's an interesting topic. The 78-79 figures weren't just simplifications for ease of manufacture, they were choices, and we didn't sit there saying "eh, this looks terrible, nothing like the onscreen character". They understood these things were for abstract play, and hey it was the 70s.

Just re-watched "The Marshall" and yeah, HT did pretty well with the "Mando" version of a Tusken Raider. I also agree with Asta's point that all the years of Kenner, Hasbro and other collectibles may have steered perception away of what a character actually looked like on screen vs what we stared at and handled in our collections over the years.

After viewing Regan's video and seeing all of those close-ups of the figure, I'm hopeful that some careful futzing will provide a Raider that looks good on display and in photos.

I mean we could have not gotten it at all. Sometimes beggars can’t be choosers. I don’t think this looks that bad personally. Even if I would prefer the Original Trilogy version. It’s still a cool figure to have that I wouldn’t have necessarily expected.
Yes, but there seems to be a lot of apathy for this figure especially for what it is at this price point, so if this sells poorly then we’ll almost certainly never see a proper ANH Tusken. Just like the Jawa/Gronk sales surely killed any chance of another set with a taller Jawa and R5.

Yes, but there seems to be a lot of apathy for this figure especially for what it is at this price point, so if this sells poorly then we’ll almost certainly never see a proper ANH Tusken. Just like the Jawa/Gronk sales surely killed any chance of another set with a taller Jawa and R5.
I get it, but sometimes collectors dig their own holes. They want stuff like this, and then Hot Toys takes a chance on something more out there, and for whatever reason it’s not perfect so that’s the end of that.

I do wish more people would buy the substandard versions so I could then get the better OT versions due to those better sales figures. :dunno :monkey3 :lol

Last edited:
Back