1/6 scale Snowspeeder scratchbuild (Complete!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I imagine MB is putting in more time/effort on this snowspeeder than the ILM guys did on their first snowspeeder filming model. This isn't partly made up of model parts - this is "true" building from scratch!:horror

Only a little progress recently. More work on the rear deck.

snow102.jpg

I've been distracted by Fujimi's Spinner car for the last 3 days. I bought it purely to take dimensions from and study it's shape in preparation for a bigger version later on. Then i decided to test ideas for it's internal mechanisms. These include the front wheels/covers, opening doors and rear flight control surfaces. Another important aspect of it's construction was the best way to allow it to be taken apart. I'll get back to the Snowspeeder, now that this feasibility study has been done.

blade001.jpg

blade002.jpg

The covers are hinged, but the wheels just have to be pulled out and positions swapped over. There's just not enough room at this scale to make it work fully.

blade003.jpg

Even though it will be largely hidden most of the time, i won't skimp on the inner wing detailing. I managed to use a few leftover parts from a Space shuttle kit, but not much else.

snow103.jpg

snow104.jpg

Work started on the interior. Lining the insides with chrome tape.

snow105.jpg

One of the consoles being built. Drill a few random holes, then glue short lengths of fibre optic into them.

snow106.jpg

Cut off the excess, then sand smooth.

snow107.jpg

Add a few panels for detail. I also painted a few lights with clear red.

snow108.jpg

Quick lighting test. I'm not going too fancy with the electrics.

snow109.jpg

Wow, can't believe this thing is going to be painted and done in another month or so.:horror

I had no idea this was going to be such a precisely and intricately detailed project when it started. Surely some of the best scratch building skills in the world on show here.

You?re doing electronics too?!? My jaw is continuously on the floor with your project!

This is off the head!! I can’t wait to see this thing finished ����

Wow, can't believe this thing is going to be painted and done in another month or so.:horror

Hopefully so. My interest in a project fades as the problem solving and construction phase ends. The painting side is just something that has to be done.

Recent progress. Installation of the LEDs, which is a Striplight bought from a Pound shop. It's a single cut-down section, arranged in a U-shape, to minimise wiring / soldering.

snow110.jpg

LEDs fitted to the seat control panels.

snow111.jpg

Magnets are used to secure the seats, allowing quick access to the battery bank, which i will mount between the seat backs. There is a small on/off switch next to the headrest.

snow112.jpg

Construction started on the rear gunners console. This area is a lot more cluttered than the pilot's controls.

snow113.jpg

Almost done here. Added a few random lights, so it blends in with the front half.

snow114.jpg

Back