1/6 Scale Blade Runner Spinner scratchbuild (Complete!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine Boy

Super Freak
Reaction score
My other projects are winding down now, so i wanted a new project to get my teeth into. I get a 2 week break over Xmas so want to make the most of it. The uninterrupted time allows me to get a lot done quickly. Working on an existing project usually involves lots of finicky detail, or time is lost waiting for paint to dry.

There's been other 1/6 Spinners done, but those took years and involved 3D printing. I want to do mine old school and hopefully no more than a year. I'm using the 1/24 Fujimi kit as reference and am simply scaling it up by 4. I started making the floorpan first, as that was about the only part that was flat(ish). Here's the first weekend's results.

spin001.jpg

spin002.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely looking forward to seeing how this one progresses. Marine Boy you are choosing all my favourite vehicles to make in 1/6, which is so super fun to see become a reality. If in the future you choose the Jungle Explorer from Jurassic Park and Ford Falcon from the Road Warrior then I will know that we either have identical taste or ... you are in my head.

This should be a fantastic project.I haven't seen any of the other models you mentioned. I'll have to Google model kits to see if I can find. Always cool to see iconic vehicles like this produced in 1:6. To me, the Spinner is right up there with Korben Dallas's taxi from Fifth Element, the EVA Pod from 2001 and the Bubble Ship from Oblivion.

Working on the dash and door hinge areas. I'm concentrating on all the flat surfaces right now, as they are easier to build quickly and accurately. Once the bulk of the framework is done, it will be much easier to build all the curved panels to the right size.

spin003.jpg

spin004.jpg

Very cool, love this vehicle. I've been meaning to pick up the kit from Randy Cooper. I cannot imagine a 1/6 version, will be big! Watching with great interest.

Outer door panels made. Each one is 13" long.

spin005.jpg

Detail of the hinge mechanism.

spin006.jpg

spin007.jpg

I'll install electric motors within each door to open and close them.

spin008.jpg

More work done to the back end.

spin009.jpg

Added the thruster jets on the door sills.

spin010.jpg

This is already taking up much of the desk space. I've build it in sections that screw together, for easier handling.

spin011.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to be insanely jealous of this when it's done, BR is my fave film ever!

Made the rear bumper and thruster unit. It's proving very tricky making 5 of the nozzles exactly the same size.

spin012.jpg

Also added the thruster jets behind the rear wheels.

spin013.jpg

Back