1/6 scale Snowspeeder scratchbuild (Complete!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine Boy

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm taking full advantage of my time off work and embarking on another scratchbuild project. My work on the 007 Lotus has slowed, as i'm not able to buy certain supplies right now. My local model shops have closed and are processing online orders only. What i do have is a pile of plasticard.

Whilst scouring the web for reference images, i came across a paper model of the Snowspeeder. The shape and proportions of it look good, so i used the templates to mark out the plastic. The model is 1/20 scale, so i convert it to 1/6 by multiplying all the dimensions by 3.33. The finished length is about 88cm. Using the templates as a guide, saves me a ton of time and hassle, as i don't have to extrapolate the correct shapes of all the panels from photos.

Here is a link to the paper model:

T-47 Snowspeeder Papercraft

snow001.jpg

snow002.jpg

Last edited:
Great start on this.

I was blown away by the level of detail you put into your Lotus... assuming you will go all out here as well. Really looking forward to your progress on this one.

-
Dennis

Looking forward to your progress posts on this, looks great so far, thanks for the link. Might do if/when Hot Toys does snowspeeder luke or Sideshow re-releases theirs.

Looking forward to seeing this come together. When you?re finished you could dock it next to Dls712?s in his Hoth hanger bay :D

Completed the panelling detail on the wing surfaces. I'm going to make the wings detachable, as they are so big. Just makes the build and handling easier.

snow003.jpg

Created brackets to support the wings, but can be detached when needed.

snow004.jpg

Brackets finished.

snow005.jpg

i've temporarily attached the wings, to get a feel for the size. It's big, the amount of liquid cement i've used so far is unreal.

snow006.jpg

snow007.jpg

Yeah, this looks awesome already.

A 1/6 snow speeder would be my 1/6 grail piece. There was a company (I think Epic Models) that was going to sell 1/6 snow speeders but it never worked out. How unfortunate to see a proto and think it's gonna happen then... gone. Story of 1/6 collecting.:lol

Hopefully someone someday will take one of those 3D models out there and 3D print it. Because there's no way I have the skill or patience to do what Marine Boy is doing here - just wow. And knowing you made it with your own two hands is really cool.

Working on the wing boxes. I've done these early, so i could check the slope of the wings. They will need adjustment, as they are sitting too low. I'll make the flaps move as well.

snow008.jpg

Corrected the slope of the wings as well as a few inaccuracies with the paper model. So far, so good. I'm very glad i made the wings as sub-assemblies.

snow009.jpg

snow010.jpg

What are you using for the fine lines on the bigger panels? Are those cut/separate sheets of styrene glued next to each other, or thin machine etched lines?

Back