1/6 scale Snowspeeder scratchbuild (Complete!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome build!
Can you tell me if the 88cm in length is the full length including the front cannons?
I?m about to build a Snowspeeder myself, but a bit unsure about the dimensions.

88cm is the overall length, without the barrels, it is about 78cm long. The overall width is about 83cm.

If i had to do this again, i would most likely pickup the Bandai 1/48 scale kit and take the dimensions from that. At the time, i was reluctant to spend money on a model i would never build. The paper model worked ok, up to a point. The complete absence of detail on the underside and inaccurate back end lead to many problems in the later stages. The kit is not too expensive, and ultimately will save you a lot of time and headaches.

So far the raw materials, plasticard, glues and various beams and fittings still cost less than 100 pounds. Don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you want.

This is really inching toward being one of the most audacious 1/6 scratch builds ever. I just can't believe this is basically a bunch of plasticard and PVC pipe. Just nuts. And wow, I get there's a ton of time put in but gotta love that pricepoint.:lol

88cm is the overall length, without the barrels, it is about 78cm long. The overall width is about 83cm.

If i had to do this again, i would most likely pickup the Bandai 1/48 scale kit and take the dimensions from that. At the time, i was reluctant to spend money on a model i would never build. The paper model worked ok, up to a point. The complete absence of detail on the underside and inaccurate back end lead to many problems in the later stages. The kit is not too expensive, and ultimately will save you a lot of time and headaches.

So far the raw materials, plasticard, glues and various beams and fittings still cost less than 100 pounds. Don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you want.

You used a paper model to scale and detail this project? I missed that - who created the paper model? Sounds like it had some accuracy issues but that's amazing you could take it that far.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your input!

You used a paper model to scale and detail this project? I missed that - who created the paper model? Sounds like it had some accuracy issues but that's amazing you could take it that far.

If you go to the very first post he has a link for the paper model and the rescale calculation.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Started work on the muzzle brakes. These are much more complicated than i first thought.

snow083.jpg

snow084.jpg

Nearly there.

snow085.jpg

Just plastic pipe. The ridged sections are grooved plasticard, rolled and glued around thick sprue. Pretty much done now.

snow086.jpg

Detail work started on the exhausts.

snow087.jpg

Drilling out the pipes.

snow088.jpg

I'm sure the flat sections seem like a walk in the park now.:lol
Looking amazing!

Yes! it's no accident i left the more fiddly stuff toward the end. There's a good reason for doing the easier stuff first. It allows you to make good progress early on, keeping interest in the project high and also making it more likely to spot any build /accuracy issues you may have. If you do the detail work too early, it may have to be re-done, if you spot a glaring error.

More work on the exhausts. I had to redo these, as the gaps between the small pipes were too big, caused by the centre pipe being oversize and the small pipes being undersize. Fortunately, my local model shop re-opened, so i was able to buy pipe the correct diameter.

snow089.jpg

End caps under construction.

snow090.jpg

snow091.jpg

Exhausts are mounted to a central support. This part runs through the airbrake hinges, keeping it tight and allowing it to hold itself in the upright position.

snow092.jpg

snow093.jpg

Cooling fins added to the engines.

snow094.jpg

snow095.jpg

With the increased weight of the wing sections, the cockpit tub was distorting once it was all put together. I had to beef up the cockpit sides with some thick beams to stop it bending.

snow096.jpg

Fitted the radiator to the nose.

snow097.jpg

I've also had to spend some time tidying and re-arranging my shed, in preparation for the later painting stages.

The detailing work continues. If i had loads of un-built kits to scavenge from, this stage would take no time at all.

Front wing box. I tried to be reasonably faithful to the studio model here, as this area is easily visible.

snow098.jpg

Rear brake area. I was not as fussy here, just as long as it looks "busy".

snow099.jpg

This is an absolutely amazing scratchbuild. that fact you can do this really rocks my world. Awesome work!

Yeah this really is a master class in scratchbuilding - it's hard to know what to take away from it other than inspiration. I have no idea how a lot of this was done with just styrene sheet/strips and a cutter. I have decent enough skills with styrene but this is so far beyond where I could ever be!

Back