1/6 Present Toys PT-70 / PT-71 Mutant Man C (X-Men Cyclops)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
397608212_6760453230668568_3145064033917736821_n.jpg

Last edited:
Looks a lot better than Sideshows Skinny Cyclops that they did. Been waiting on third parties to pick up the gap in the market. I hope PT or SooSoo does a new Wolverine next. Never really liked any of Sideshows versions. They all had wonky sculpts.

Not a fan of the overly busy design, but I like the body so I’ll probably pick that up to upgraded the Sideshow figure. He’s looking a bit squatty in this one pic though. Wonder if this is a new body they’ve developed and if they’ll be using it for a future tiger stripe Wolverine? 🤔 Not sure about the headsculpt either. Either way, happy to see more of my favorite Xman, so looking forward to the full reveal

As mentioned above, they definitely basically took the XM statue and turned it into a figure. Too bad they didn’t replicate the XM headsculpt though.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing some more pictures. That right arm bent to touch the visor like that looks either photoshopped, or like the elbow/hand couldn't quite bend enough to touch the visor and they're using forced perspective to give it that impression.

Not a fan of the overly busy design, but I like the body so I’ll probably pick that up to upgraded the Sideshow figure. He’s looking a bit squatty in this one pic though. Wonder if this is a new body they’ve developed and if they’ll be using it for a future tiger stripe Wolverine? 🤔 Not sure about the headsculpt either. Either way, happy to see more of my favorite Xman, so looking forward to the full reveal

As mentioned above, they definitely basically took the XM statue and turned it into a figure. Too bad they didn’t replicate the XM headsculpt though.
Agreed. Why add those unnecessary lines? Major downer

Agreed. Why add those unnecessary lines? Major downer
Didn't Sideshow already make a plain-suit "I'm wearing a Spirit halloween spandex" Cyclops for people that want the animated series look?

Plain, giant swaths of solid color from comic books work because there's inking, shading and muscle definition to give those areas visual interest. Its giving your eyes lots of detail and depth to parse. Adding texture changes and seams to physical fabric costumes where you can't get the same adherence to muscle definition and shadows/highlights is just a different way to do the exact same thing.
1698859465866.png
1698859483191.png

Without it, you end up with
1698859845438.png

XD

Adding texture changes and seams to physical fabric costumes where you can't get the same adherence to muscle definition and shadows/highlights is just a different way to do the exact same thing.
Without it, you end up with View attachment 672190

XD
Nah, you just need an appropriately sized and well defined muscle body to bring out the musculature in smooth spandex which hardly anyone has really made in 1/6. They’ve done it for 1/12 and those bodies look great in spandex. Sideshow’s laziness to not do that is what makes their figures look like what you’re referencing.

SSR recently developed their in-house muscle body that looks pretty good on spandex. Zica Toys have also made a really good muscle body near the size of the TBLeague M35, but more superhero proportions than Arnold proportions that looks great in plain spandex.

You don’t need tons of panel lines or fabric textures if you have the correct underlying body.

Last edited:
Didn't Sideshow already make a plain-suit "I'm wearing a Spirit halloween spandex" Cyclops for people that want the animated series look?

Plain, giant swaths of solid color from comic books work because there's inking, shading and muscle definition to give those areas visual interest. Its giving your eyes lots of detail and depth to parse. Adding texture changes and seams to physical fabric costumes where you can't get the same adherence to muscle definition and shadows/highlights is just a different way to do the exact same thing.
View attachment 672188View attachment 672189
Without it, you end up with View attachment 672190
XD
What you said, 1000%. Plain, untextured suit with no design or patterning whatsoever just comes out looking like a super polyester suit made in the 1970's.

Now there is a market (clearly) for those that want that plain-jane but that was already done by SS.

Even if you stuff a larger body into a suit so that the fabric has no choice but to contour to the general shape of the muscles, you still don't overcome the problem that, outside of extreme lighting situations, there will never be enough shadow generated to create that visual interest to these large solid blocks of color that you see in the comics. Especially at scale, where the shadows are always going to be subtler. Panel lines and different fabric textures compensate for that lack of visual distinction.

1698863453950.png
1698863668733.png

You're welcome to have a preference of course, I'm just saying there is a reason that films and television add panel and texture changes to these costumes, and will continue to do so when interpreting them from 2D drawing into 3 dimensional representations. :)

Even if you stuff a larger body into a suit so that the fabric has no choice but to contour to the general shape of the muscles, you still don't overcome the problem that, outside of extreme lighting situations, there will never be enough shadow generated to create that visual interest to these large solid blocks of color that you see in the comics. Especially at scale, where the shadows are always going to be subtler. Panel lines and different fabric textures compensate for that lack of visual distinction.

View attachment 672207View attachment 672208
You're welcome to have a preference of course, I'm just saying there is a reason that films and television add panel and texture changes to these costumes, and will continue to do so when interpreting them from 2D drawing into 3 dimensional representations. :)
It can definitely work.

Giant_Gonzales_bio.png

Believe it or not, that guy is wearing a spandex suit.

I prefer the extra details over plain spandex/nylon. Even with the right body, they can still end up looking like Party City cosplayers, though there are few exceptions to this. Also with plain designs, I don't feel like I'm getting my $$$ worth.

Simply airbrushing some musculature shading on the plain spandex suit would spice up the SSC figure.

This one looks like it has potential. The face and build aren’t quite my ideal Cyclops, and I’m a sucker for the leather jacket look so would like that to be included along with a screaming head and a few blast effects in order to pick this up and get rid of the SSC.

This style will also fit with the SooSoo Gambit and Rogue better. I just hope the next few figures aren’t Wolverine, Magneto, or Gambit. I’ve been waiting so long for a 90s animated style Storm.

Back