1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally an update on chroming the machete that’s included with the SS TOD figure. only the blade so far. Tomorrow I will do the handle (that’s why there’s blue masking tape).

I did find that the different chromes I’ve tested react way better to plastic than metal. With plastic I get the real mirror effect, but with metal, I can only get kind of a high shine aluminum/almost chrome look for some reason 🤔 I can see reflection in the blade but it’s a fuzzy reflection rather than a clear one I get with plastic. I know it’s metal being the problem b/c I also tried chroming the belt buckle as it started to dull and tarnish and I got the same results as the machete.

The pics below are of my most successful attempt using electroplating chrome powder. Still not that perfect mirror shine that I’ve been able to get with plastics, but much better than the dull metallic grey it once was

IMG_0886.jpeg

IMG_0887.jpeg

IMG_0888.jpeg

Below is the plastic spoon test with the same electroplating powder and same wait time to show the difference.
IMG_0889.jpeg

Last edited:
But... there is no spoon.

Good job.
Thanks! Though, feels a bit like a waste given the end result. All that work and trial and error only for it to come out looking like I just sprayed it down with some cheap Krylon “metallic silver” :LOL: good learning experience though.
At least now I know I can do the same on the buckle from the DiD Patton figure to make it look more accurate. It’ll probably come out looking like gold chrome finish since it’s plastic

Nice work. :clap Still an improvement over the sideshow original and less expensive than the customs
Thanks TonTon. Yup that was the goal to not have to go the Fullmetal route, but I really wanted to get that nice, shiny chrome look that his and the real prop have. At least it actually looks like metal now so that’s a plus 😅

Regarding the chrome finish, looking at the photos it appears the metal machete has quite a bumpy surface? Even the most subtle and fine detail grainy surface can dull a chrome finish quite severely as the light hitting it is uneven. To get an effective chrome look, the surface below must be very glossy and smooth. Could be part of the reason you're seeing a difference there, with the spoon being very smooth plastic, producing a more reflective result.

Perhaps sanding down the metal with progressively finer sand papers until very smooth, then priming with extra gloss black, and chroming from there.

well, stupid me, I realized last night that I accidently bought black chrome electroplating powder instead of regular chrome, so that is also a reason this doesn't have that super bright luster :lol :slap therefore, I'll have to strip this anyway and do it again when the new powder arrives

Regarding the chrome finish, looking at the photos it appears the metal machete has quite a bumpy surface? Even the most subtle and fine detail grainy surface can dull a chrome finish quite severely as the light hitting it is uneven. To get an effective chrome look, the surface below must be very glossy and smooth. Could be part of the reason you're seeing a difference there, with the spoon being very smooth plastic, producing a more reflective result.

Perhaps sanding down the metal with progressively finer sand papers until very smooth, then priming with extra gloss black, and chroming from there.
I appreciate the tips and insight :duff

It doesn't appear to be bumpy in hand, but you could be right. I do think it's just my bad picture taking skills as you can tell the difference in sharpness of the pic of the spoon vs the pics of the machete. The interesting thing is, that when I hold it in my hand, I can see a clear reflection of my hand on the blade even down to my fingerprint lines reflect, but as you pull away, the reflection gets blurry. If there is any unevenness, it's more than likely my screw up on my application of the primer as I don't have a proper spray booth. I just have to spray in the backyard so if there's some wind, even a little, it could cause an uneven application. That didn't appear to be the case at the time, but I may have just not totally focused on it as I wanted to get the chrome underway :lol

This isn't my first time chroming something, though. I've have had great success getting that mirror effect in the past with parts from transformers, which is why this has stumped me a bit and why I tried the electroplating powder after the spray wasn't coming out how I had hoped. The gloss primer I use is a very high gloss so that isn't the issue.

Either way, I'll have another go at it in a couple of weeks whenever the proper powder color arrives 🙂

well, stupid me, I realized last night that I accidently bought black chrome electroplating powder instead of regular chrome, so that is also a reason this doesn't have that super bright luster :lol :slap therefore, I'll have to strip this anyway and do it again when the new powder arrives

I appreciate the tips and insight :duff

It doesn't appear to be bumpy in hand, but you could be right. I do think it's just my bad picture taking skills as you can tell the difference in sharpness of the pic of the spoon vs the pics of the machete. The interesting thing is, that when I hold it in my hand, I can see a clear reflection of my hand on the blade even down to my fingerprint lines reflect, but as you pull away, the reflection gets blurry. If there is any unevenness, it's more than likely my screw up on my application of the primer as I don't have a proper spray booth. I just have to spray in the backyard so if there's some wind, even a little, it could cause an uneven application. That didn't appear to be the case at the time, but I may have just not totally focused on it as I wanted to get the chrome underway :lol

This isn't my first time chroming something, though. I've have had great success getting that mirror effect in the past with parts from transformers, which is why this has stumped me a bit and why I tried the electroplating powder after the spray wasn't coming out how I had hoped. The gloss primer I use is a very high gloss so that isn't the issue.

Either way, I'll have another go at it in a couple of weeks whenever the proper powder color arrives 🙂
Sounds odd indeed! Chroming can be challenging at times for sure. I've had wildly different results from the wrong application angle, distance, room temp, etc. Good luck to you! :)

Sounds odd indeed! Chroming can be challenging at times for sure. I've had wildly different results from the wrong application angle, distance, room temp, etc. Good luck to you! :)
Thank you! Definitely challenging! I’ve never had this much issue with paint than I have had with trying to chrome something :lol

The S-01 body arrived today and I immediately swapped over the outfit to it, adding the Jnix head sculpt as well.

I'm not sure if the following pics capture it, but seeing it in front of me, it definitely looks good. I only wish the arms were a bit less muscled (thick) but I was able to pull the sleeves through and it doesn't look bulky. One of the key things is the width of the shoulders is slightly less than the TT body I previously used.

Need to tweak a little further. Need to also fix the whip holder, as the magnet got unglued.

View attachment 480925

View attachment 480926
Some very sad news in case other Indy collectors didn't hear about this in other threads but our good friend @FlyAndFight passed away suddenly in November.

Alex was a great forum member here -- funny, engaging, thoughtful, supportive -- and based on all my interactions here seemed like a genuinely solid human being. He will be missed.

Back