1/6 Hot Toys - The X-Men License - Interview with Chan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too was duped. Saw it on a facebook forum the other day whilst with my friends. We all lost out minds for 30 minutes until I noticed the date. Heartbreak all around.

kinda weird that marvel, owns the rights to the characters/comics yet fox owned them and marvel had to buy it?!! just weird to me

kinda weird that marvel, owns the rights to the characters/comics yet fox owned them and marvel had to buy it?!! just weird to me

First, the article, as stated, was fake.

But the reason that marvel does not have the film rights is because marvel did not have a film studio until around the time Iron man was made. It would be the same for Mattel with Barbie or He-man. So before Marvel started its own film company( like MGM or universal) they would lease the rights to film studios. Because they never intended to make and pay for the films until Recently. And because this was the standard for decades these "leases(licenses actually) where indefinite as long as the studio made a film every set number of years. That is why Blade is now back under marvel, the studio failed to make a movie causing the lease to expire.

So marvel still owns the characters and rights, but because of a contract, their film rights are leased/rented.

So the only way marvel gets them back is either buying them back(give money to studio renting rights in exchange for them ripping up the original contract)...or if the studio with the rights does not make a film within the given window. Some of the windows are as little as 2 or 3 years, but I've heard of some being 10-20 years.

Hot Toys and Sideshow make figures they believe will return a profit.. not to entertain collectors who want to see 'new' figures purely for the novelty value, they have no intention of actually buying.

Yes, thank you for repeating something we all know.

You're as illuminating as ever....

Spider man will get rebooted every 3 movies. Painful but sony needs to do it to keep the rights

Last edited:
I still find it scandalous and somewhat inept of whoever is in charge of these things that a film which is at worst number 5 of the biggest grossing films of 2014 (at best No. 2) has no merchantising whatsoever associated with it and I think whoever can produce custom figures/costumes from DOFP will make a tidy sum.

Spider man will get rebooted every 3 movies. Painful but sony needs to do it to keep the rights
Sooner or later Sony will realize things need to change. Especially after the so-so reaction to ASM2. They basically said any crossover would just be a publicity stunt... which makes zero sense. These characters are made to interact with each other. I can't muster up much excitement for Spidey by himself anymore.

I still find it scandalous and somewhat inept of whoever is in charge of these things that a film which is at worst number 5 of the biggest grossing films of 2014 (at best No. 2) has no merchantising whatsoever associated with it and I think whoever can produce custom figures/costumes from DOFP will make a tidy sum.

Yes they will, I'm surprised there haven't been many customs yet, I only seen a future Wolverine

Yes, thank you for repeating something we all know.

You're as illuminating as ever....

Oh the irony.. you repeatedly state Toy companies should release products, for the novelty value of 'new'.. as long as you keep repeating that inflated sense of entitlement statement, I will keep pointing out the fact that the concept is ridiculous.

Make up your mind, if you know companies do not intentionally release 'shelf warmers', stop asking for novelty releases you have no intention of buying... discontinued lines regularly prove that collectors were 'all talk, no wallet' on a line.. if you do not get a Doc or a DeLorean, it will not be because Hot Toys are deliberately, secretly conspiring to annoy collectors.

There is a simple solution, buy a custom figure if you want a niche figure badly enough.. If you are not prepared to consider dropping a $1000 on a custom, it is not Hot Toys or Sideshow's job to take a commercial haircut on a figure, just so that a few individuals with an inflated sense of entitlement, can be entertained by the initial figure announcement, product release photos and just maybe picking it out of the bargain bin much, much later.
Iron Man collectors have consistently proved they put their money where their mouth is.

1250702987_rat-fight.gif

It does not have to be rebooted...they just need to make a movie every so many years. No where does it require a reboot..

They where initially doing a 4th raimi and Toby Spider-Man but at the last minute opted to reboot. But it's not contractual.

Back