1/6 Hot Toys - Spider-Man: No Way Home - Doctor Strange Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow... base price point has crossed $300.

Is this figure definitely just a redo of IW Strange as far as sculpt and clothing?
Yes. I posted the 3 HT Strange pics on the first page to see what the differences are. This one has "new paint" on the head sculpt while the first one is different from the other two.

I love the accessories for this, but my DS1 Strange with his two orange defense shields are the perfect pose and accessories for him in a display. I almost got the IW ones separately, but he just doesn't look good on display with them IMO. The sculpt from DS1 is still the best IMO.

Wow... base price point has crossed $300.

Is this figure definitely just a redo of IW Strange as far as sculpt and clothing?
$315 - tabulate about 10% Tax+/- then about $15 +/- for shipping = $361.50.

This 1/6 world that we love....will price itself out of the market in about 4-5 years. I'll be out of it in 3-4 years, carefully choosing maybe 1 or 2 figures/year that are must have.

I've been hearing that people will get priced out for years, but OCD won't let you go. Maybe you'll stop with 1/6th, and then put that money into 1/12th, or statues, or something else.

Some do get priced out, but I see many of the same names here I've seen for years... the price barrier is never wanted when it arrives, and I would love to know just how many people have been able to stop because the price is too high.

This 1/6 world that we love....will price itself out of the market in about 4-5 years. I'll be out of it in 3-4 years, carefully choosing maybe 1 or 2 figures/year that are must have.

The interesting thing is I was priced out a year or so ago, but then started to see this trend of almost every Hot Toys release being available at significant discounts to retail prices secondhand if you give it some time after release.

I've been hearing that people will get priced out for years, but OCD won't let you go. Maybe you'll stop with 1/6th, and then put that money into 1/12th, or statues, or something else.

Some do get priced out, but I see many of the same names here I've seen for years... the price barrier is never wanted when it arrives, and I would love to know just how many people have been able to stop because the price is too high.
Depends on what that $Price$ is. They say everyone has one. I've collected enough over the years to where the satisfaction level has hit its peak...just in time to avoid the inflation. I hit my 1/12 peak years ago after DC Direct & DC Universe Classics were done. Only thing that got me back in that was GI Joe Classified (for damn good reason) but that will satisfyingly end (have the characters I want) in about 2 years.

Back to 1/6, Hot Toys will never hit the peak it once had a few years ago between Civil War/IW/Justice League/Endgame era. This is also back when the price point "felt right". By now you already have your Marvel A characters, some B characters. DC - a small amount of A characters with a few more inbound.

Soon, I'll be like Rambo: "Mission....Accomplished..."

It's more about knowing how to be selective in what you actually buy and add to your display/collection . Back then you can buy every single release and then still re-sell them later on. It's what I used to do. Now that's a lot harder with Hot Toys reissuing every figure and also oversaturating the market with multiple versions of the same character.

Now I double check if I REALLY want/need this figure in my collection or if it's just a cool looking figure that you get swept up into the hype with. Like what does the costume/character actually mean to you to warrant having it in the collection. There's way too many filler figures that ultimately amount to nothing after a year or two in your collection. Stuff that you think is cool and hyped in the moment but then 2 years down the line you decide you don't care about it.

It also helps to aim for a definative representation of a character on the shelf. I don't like having two figures of the same character unless if it's warranted.
Like why do I need a Doctor Strange figure from his movie, Infinity War, No Way Home AND Multiverse of Madness. I just need 1 that ultimately represents him on the shelf.

Last edited:

I think that a majority are already priced out. I've noticed more and more people selling off figures in order to fund new ones or simply leaving 1/6 for statues or for good. While that isn't a new thing, the amount of people and figures appears to be.

That is absolutely true. But I know that while I've always been picky about my purchases, I now rely more on discounts and reward points to help justify the expenses. I have to admit that this year has been crazy with pre-orders/orders, for me. There have been so many great figures announced and released that I've gone WAY over my hobby budget. But as the saying goes, all good things must come to an end and once the last orders start to arrive, I'll be limiting new orders and eventually seriously trim down the collection lines, selling off more figures. Display space has long been an issue. New acquisitions cannot continue if they are to sit boxed in a closet. I'm just not good in the whole "rotate displays" thing.

It's more about knowing how to be selective in what you actually buy and add to your display/collection . Back then you can buy every single release and then still re-sell them later on. It's what I used to do. Now I double check if I REALLY want/need this figure in my collection or if it's just a cool looking figure that you get swept up into the hype with. Like what does the costume/character actually mean to you to warrant having it in the collection. There's way too many filler figures that ultimately amount to nothing after a year or two in your collection. Stuff that you think is cool and hyped in the moment but then 2 years down the line you decide you don't care about it.

You make more good points. I've always been selective but it is not getting pulled into the hype on a figure that probably makes it more difficult.

I've slowed down my 1/6 purchases. It's a combination of the MCU lineup not as interesting as before plus the price creep.

I've left everything except for Hot Toys now. Quality over quantity for sure. I did buy too many Caps as he was my fav in the Infinity Saga, but sold 2 and have 2 left. Batman and Spider-Man variations are ones I'm still willing to get. I do pass on all troop types and stick to unique characters.

I did impulse on TFA Kylo Ren and sold him. Even with being very picky, I still get 3-5 figures a year and I'm currently at 30 right now. Got potential 5 incoming - Batman XE, Shiny Mando, Classic SM, Mando Luke then sell my ROTJ Luke and Snowspeeder Luke....damn that Carnage is expensive.

I love Hot Toys and we have yet to even get to an MCU Blade, Ghost Rider, F4 and X-Men. Not sure what will come from No Way Home, but Doc and Goblin are probably around $400. Then video game Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine, oh boy.

May be less about getting priced out than about looking at other options for your collection. Statue makers quickly caught up and many have now surpassed Hot Toys as their quality has stagnated the last 3-4 years. They have worldwide exclusivity in 1/6th scale so they've been able to rest on their laurels a bit. But the statue game has become very competitive, with companies trying to outdo each other.

I'd rather pay $1000 for something like the Queen Studios 1/4 Thanos statue than $415 for the 1/6 Hot Toys. The Queen Studios piece is just much higher quality and better value for me (but it means I'm buying 1 statue rather than 3 figures). Also, the with statues right now - if you don't get them at release you're likely out of luck and having to pay more after market later to get them because they are very limited. With most Hot Toys pieces now, you can wait to get them in the secondary market (even new) for much less than retail because they make so many of them.

I'd rather pay $1000 for something like the Queen Studios 1/4 Thanos statue than $415 for the 1/6 Hot Toys.

JND is doing some beautiful work too.

I've never considered 1/3 or 1/4 only because to me 1/6th was as large as I wanted to go -- and now even that's too big as far as space goes. I do miss the days when I had a massive Star Wars collection of 3 inch figures all consigned to a tidy, single display cabinet that didn't make me look crazy. Now I have 5 detolfs and still half the collection in the garage, unseen.

Back