1/6 Hot Toys - Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Spider Man 2099 Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Articulation is part of realism and accuracy.

I don't think it's accurate to not be able to put a Spiderman figure in extreme poses for an extended period of time. Especially when the character is from an animated movie.

View attachment 646079View attachment 646080View attachment 646081
But I forgot some people can only hyperfocus on the downsides when changes are too drastic.
Then go buy another figure from another line, but this figure as it was announced did not belong - and it certainly wasn’t worth $250.

Plenty of other alternatives if you want ACTION figures. These are meant to be high end collectibles.

Define action figure.
Value. If you want something highly articulated that you can play around with go by a Marvel Legends or something, but as someone that wants an accurate representation of the character an upscaled cheap looking toy isn’t worth $250+. I expect some level consistency with the other figures in the line.

There are alternatives for you out there, not sure why you’re dead set on the HT version being a hideous jointed abomination.

Never bought a figure with exposed joints and I never will.

Fabric suits don't look good on stylised cartoon characters.
Miles and Gwen, sure their suit are probably fabric so that helps with the 'realism' (whatever that means from a figure based on an animated movie lol).

But Miguel's suit is always meant to be different. In the comics they were nanobots if i remember correctly. And in this movie his suit almost looked armor like, so it seemed fitting to me to make him drastically different as a figure. The nice sharp lines of the sculped body will 100% get lost if you slap a fabric on it.

It is what it is. I will be getting it regardless. Ditch the headsculpt and put that extra money and effort on the colour and details of the suit.

Value. If you want something highly articulated that you can play around with go by a Marvel Legends or something, but as someone that wants an accurate representation of the character an upscaled cheap looking toy isn’t worth $250+. I expect some level consistency with the other figures in the line.

There are alternatives for you out there, not sure why you’re dead set on the HT version being a hideous jointed abomination.

You are confusing value with your own personal value.

The value of this is 250. And I keep reading this SHF Marvel legends comparison. As a joke I understand but I feel like some are serious.

Now going back to value. Do you serious think you can compare a 250 figure with a 100 figure?

When figures are supposed to be ultra realistic versions, then they should be wearing a costume made of cloth or some other wearable material. Certainly not covered head to toe in plastic. An all plastic action figure would look ridiculous on the shelf next to a collection of mixed media action figures in fabric costumes. With the exception of Iron Man, Stormtrooper variations or robots which are figures that are replicating plated armor, not a fabric costume.

I don't have my awesome looking Marvel Legends Thor figure (only $50 back when ML were under $20) next to my collection of HT Thor figures. And with the very nice expensive 12" action figures being put out by Mondo, such as the animated X-Men and He-Man lines, I highly doubt too many collectors have them mixed on their shelf together with their Hot Toys and other 1/6th scale collection.

And as far as value, you'd be setting a dangerous precedent for Hot Toys attitude going forward if they see people are willing to spend the same amount of money on an all plastic figure as they are the ultra detailed figures they usually make.

Just my 2cents by the way... :duff

View attachment 645886

Even with a cloth suit over it, the proportions for this figure is all sorts of wrong. Tiny thin head, flattened traps, blocky shoulders, overly exaggerated arm thickness and length, and thin quads. Really wish they would go back to the drawing board and start over.
Suit issues aside, this is a terrible representation of the character.

I die on the 1 figure per character rules, but oh my god.

Screenshot_20230705_000254_Instagram.jpg

Nice to see they kept the 2099 eyes because the og white 2099 eyes were a huge downgrade in my opinion (less expressive compared to 2099).

Hopefully HT can do something special with 2099. It's fun to see how this unfolds since we've seen the og plan. It will be a complete redesign.
What if the fabric looks worse than the og? It's physically impossible to get a sub 300 figure even remotely close to how that suit appeared onscreen.

It is too magnificent.

i-really-love-how-they-bulked-up-spiderman-2099-in-across-v0-bn7bgfr1gl1b1.gif

They have taken the 2099 from the og comics and made him into this absolute beast of a character. A well deserved evolution.

That intro alone was a 9.9/10.
Bonkers ****.

I knew when I saw the webs it was 2099 but it still surprised the **** out of me (also the sound in the cinema was so ******* loud).
The amount of velocity and force he came on the screen.

It pissed me off how could escape from him. I know it's a animated movie, but that was too farfetched for me. A future Spiderman from a multiverse black ops can't catch a black spiderman that just got his power for 3-5 years? I call scam.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230705_000249_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230705_000249_Instagram.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230705_000241_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230705_000241_Instagram.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I die on the 1 figure per character rules, but oh my god.

View attachment 648178

Nice to see they kept the 2099 eyes because the og white 2099 eyes were a huge downgrade in my opinion (less expressive compared to 2099).

Hopefully HT can do something special with 2099. It's fun to see how this unfolds since we've seen the og plan. It will be a complete redesign.
What if the fabric looks worse than the og? It's physically impossible to get a sub 300 figure even remotely close to how that suit appeared onscreen.

It is too magnificent.

View attachment 648179They have taken the Miguel from the og comics and made him into this absolute beast of a character. A well deserved evolution.

That intro alone was a 9.9/10.
Bonkers ****.

I knew when I saw the webs it was Miguel but it still surprised the **** out of me (also the sound in the cinema was so ******* loud).
The amount of velocity and force he came on the screen.

It pissed me off how Miles could escape from him. I know it's a animated movie, but that was too farfetched for me. A future Spiderman from a multiverse black ops can't catch a black spiderman that just got his power for 3-5 years? I call scam.

“ A future Spiderman from a multiverse black ops can't catch a black spiderman that just got his power for 3-5 years? I call scam”

I agree that Spiderman 2099 is awesome in this film …but what does Miles being Black have to do with anything?

He has a black suit no?

View attachment 648189
True Miles does have a black suit no doubt. But no where else in the post is he described by the color of his suit. For instance Miguel was never referenced as blue and red Spiderman so I wasn’t sure how you meant that.

I heard that that the 2099 figure is set to be “updated” by Hot Toys. Hopefully they will make a change that still allows for the unique look that you and some others desire while creating an appearance that will be pleasing to the large amount of people that dislike the exposed joints of the original design.

Anyone have pics of the “updated” 2099 figure?
No news yet unfortunately, might take a while since its release in Q3 2024 if I remember correctly.

But obviously I meant his skin colour. Miles being black is a HUGE factor to why Miles is Miles (Puerto Rican, black culture inspired, his music taste, style, his attitude/swagger, its kinda obvious).

Even Electro referred to Miles as black Spiderman I NWH haha.
I prefer calling Spiderman, Spiderman. Not Peter, not Miles, not Miguel. It's Spiderman, black Spider-Man and 2099 for me. But I understand what you mean, but I don't see any disrespect calling Miles black Spiderman. If I called him the N word Spiderman, then I can understand.

Last edited:
It's Spiderman, black Spider-Man and 2099 for me. But I understand what you mean, but I don't see any disrespect calling Miles black Spiderman. If I called him the N word Spiderman, then I can understand.
But you didn’t even say black Spider-Man you compared something else to “a” black Spider-Man like you’re thinking it has anything to do with his abilities. Why not just say “a Spider-Man who got his power 3-5 years ago”? Just a poor choice of words in the context :lol

Also, not trying to sound passive aggressive but I’m genuinely curious, why do you specifically think the fabric suits on these figs look any worse than all the joints?

But regardless, Miles is a
But you didn’t even say black Spider-Man you compared something else to “a” black Spider-Man like you’re thinking it has anything to do with his abilities. Why not just say “a Spider-Man who got his power 3-5 years ago”? Just a poor choice of words in the context :lol

Also, not trying to sound passive aggressive but I’m genuinely curious, why do you specifically think the fabric suits on these figs look any worse than all the joints?
Ok that's fair, but he is not a Spider-Man, he is THE black Spider-Man.

No worries, my main issue, with the obvious sacrifice of the posability , is that you miss the strong, hard edges/lines of a non fabric suit.

Ok that's fair, but he is not a Spider-Man, he is THE black Spider-Man.
A future Spiderman from a multiverse black ops can't catch a black spiderman that just got his power for 3-5 years? I call scam.
I mean I’m not really aiming to debate your choice of semantics or exact verbiage but you used “a Spider-Man” yourself. Oh well.
No worries, my main issue, with the obvious sacrifice of the posability , is that you miss the strong, hard edges/lines of a non fabric suit.
That makes sense imo—the unique animated style probably can’t be conveyed very well to a real life poseable figure but the harder plastic helps give the silhouette some of the illusion that it’s straight from the artwork. Conversely, though, it might only look good at face value in a museum pose…all those joints destroy the visual authenticity the second a light goes on or even when it’s twisted into a pose.

Back