1/6 Hot Toys - MMS729/729B - John Wick Chapter 4: John Wick

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I've found the right one. Digging through their posts it looks like they're more of a high-end 3rd party/custom company? They've got head sculpts of Gandalf, Johnny Depp, Jackie Chan etc. There was a post about an Akira figure, it cost $2200! That's USD, not HKD :horror

Maybe the reason hot toys removed the teaser pic for Wick and Caine is because they lost the license for Donnie Yen to Por Toys
That’s not how it works. If Hot Toys has a license to make stuff from JW4, they can make Donnie Yen as Caine. They don’t normally need an additional license for the actor. That happens in very rare cases.

That’s not how it works. If Hot Toys has a license to make stuff from JW4, they can make Donnie Yen as Caine. They don’t normally need an additional license for the actor. That happens in very rare cases.
That does make sense. Thank you for clarifying. I’m just trying to find reasons as to why these figures haven’t been announced yet. Just gotta stay patient for a while longer I guess

Asked Por.toys how much the hands and accessories set for John is and he said $399 yeah not worth it for just some hands and weapons and shoes. Rather just wait for HT. Let's hope it's released

Yeah, I've found the right one. Digging through their posts it looks like they're more of a high-end 3rd party/custom company? They've got head sculpts of Gandalf, Johnny Depp, Jackie Chan etc. There was a post about an Akira figure, it cost $2200! That's USD, not HKD :horror
PorToys are a high end custom company studio, with limited edition sizes, not 3rd Party. Thats’s why their stuff costs so much. Everything is hand made and done by artists vs factory workers.

3rd party is like your SooSooToys, MarsToys, Toys Era etc. where they still manufacture relatively large amounts of product (though still not HT numbers) in a factory, but at a lower cost since they don’t have to pay licensing fees.
Really depends on the license and how the actor contracts were handled. For the big superhero and Star Wars stuff, actor likenesses for toys and collectibles are usually baked into their contracts nowadays. But the more niche stuff usually still needs both the license for the movie and the actor likeness.

In most cases actors agree to it, but as you mentioned, there are the rare occasions where they don’t. For example, Andrew Garfield and any NWH merch with his likeness. His headsculpt was removed from the Mafex figure if I remember correctly. And HT was forced to put the new figure under the ASM 2 license instead of NWH while also having to use the old headsculpt instead of being able to making a new one.

In regards to JW4, HT might’ve thought they had everything squared away for the license and likenesses but perhaps they didn’t.

Last edited:
PorToys are a high end custom company, with limited edition sizes, not 3rd Party. Thats’s why their stuff costs so much. Everything is hand made and done by artists vs factory workers.

3rd party is like your SooSooToys, MarsToys, Toys Era etc. where they still manufacture relatively large amounts of product (though still not HT numbers) in a factory, but at a lower cost since they don’t have to pay licensing fees.
If it's unlicensed, that's what we call 3rd party though, isn't it? But I get your point. I wonder why they use the real names of the characters/people in their posts though.

If it's unlicensed, that's what we call 3rd party though, isn't it? But I get your point. I wonder why they use the real names of the characters/people in their posts though.
This may be TL;DR read status but since you asked...

You’re confusing the two in their respective naming. Mostly b/c custom figure artists seem to not consider what they make as unlicensed figures, but as the name implies, a piece of limited edition custom artwork. They hate if you call their stuff unlicensed and 3rd party :lol

Yes, that Por Toys figure is unlicensed, but it’s a limited run of a custom figure done by individual artists not a full on company like the others I’ve mentioned made for a relatively small group of ppl. You have to get on a list to be able to get one of their figures, which usually have a fairly high deposit instead of ordering from an online retailer with a small ~$30 deposit like you can with 3rd party figures. Custom artists use the actor and/or character names b/c these are considered as art pieces and not factory manufactured “toys.” Most artists these days will also included a COA card with their signature and an edition size printed or written on it. You’re also usually paying for top of the line sculpting, casting/printing, painting, tailoring and accessories.

Think of it as if you commissioned some random artist who didn’t actually work for DC/Marvel to make you a painting of Superman, Iron Man, Batman etc. They don’t have a deal with those comic companies to make the painting they are selling you, but it’s considered art so no one really bats an eye, even if you're selling it without the actual license to produce said artwork. They aren’t going to get sued by those companies just b/c they created some art.

A 3rd party figure made by any of the companies I listed above (and many more) can be bought at most online retailers and are produced in a factory in large numbers. Also, as most of us know, their quality can be hit or miss a lot of the time. As a lot of ppl will say, you’re not getting HT quality with 3rd Party figures usually. Whereas with custom items, you're usually getting much higher quality, sometimes even better than HT.

It’s a weird line b/c 3rd party figures are considered to be infringing on the copyright due to how they are manufactured and in the large quantities they are. Yet, custom figures aren’t b/c they are considered limited edition hand made art pieces commissioned by one or a small group of ppl. It's murky water even though technically both are using licenses they didn't rightfully obtain to produce an item in exchange for money.

If I put together a 1 off figure of a character for my own enjoyment, then that’s considered a custom figure and I’m not hurting anyone. Even if I put together a few more for some “friends” for a fee, it’s usually still fine. But if I take that one off to a factory for them to reproduce in 100s or 1000s of quantity, now I’m in unlicensed figure territory where if I use the real actor names and movie imagery I could get in some legal trouble with the license holders if they really want to come after me.

We also have to remember that the legal system works differently overseas so they’re also able to get away with this sort of stuff and have been for a long time. You just change the name, make your own graphics for the box designs, don’t put any major company logos and you’re usually fine.

Maybe I over explained, but I hope that helps with the distinction between the two a little more, at least in the way it’s viewed in the community. I, for one, feel that custom figures are unlicensed items made by a group of 3rd party ppl (individual artists), but the artists and/or customers of those pieces usually get all bent out of shape if you say that :lol I think it has to do with 3rd Party usually being associated with lower quality items and that sometimes, those 3rd Party companies "steal" artists work to try to the reproduce at a factory level.

Last edited:
Maybe I over explained, but I hope that helps with the distinction between the two a little more, at least in the way it’s viewed in the community. I, for one, understand that custom figures are unlicensed figures made by a group of 3rd party ppl (individual artists), but the artists and/or customers of those pieces usually get all bent out of shape if you say that :lol
Nah, I actually enjoyed reading it, thanks for the insight :clap

custom figures are unlicensed items made by a group of 3rd party ppl (individual artists), but the artists and/or customers of those pieces usually get all bent out of shape if you say that :lol
This is true:LOL: it's always will be a 3rd party (the 1st and 2nd party being the owner of the license and the buyer of the license.) Like Marvel/Disney and Hot Toys. Third party is the people outside those. Custom/Studio/Artist or Company, that's probably the main difference.

Back to topic, now I'm worried that HT can't produce this John Wick for some reason. HT Shazam is a dud but they don't delete the post.

Anybody else hoping hot toys finally drops Wick and Caine either tomorrow or sometime this week in line with Chapter 4’s digital release tomorrow? Or maybe even the week of June 13th when it comes out on 4K, Blu Ray, DVD, etc

With PorToys announcing an eye watering $1400 price tag for their (limited to FIFTEEN) run of Donnie Yen, I seriously hope Hot Toys show something soon.

Present toys 1/6 John Wick figure. Where is your’s hot toys!!???

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 0
Looks decent enough but I know HT one will be out and if anything InArt will still make him at some point.

Back