1/6 Hot Toys - MMS681 - Episode II: Attack of The Clones - Mace Windu

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2484.jpeg

I’m glad HT are expanding their SW catalogue. Not only are we getting figures from video games and expanded universe lore…now we’re getting the actors stunt doubles. Very cool.

The guy on the right looks like a “bad Mutha****a”

The guy on the left looks like…wait who is that mutha****a??!!

The head and features needs to be thinner and longer rather than the shorter and wider look that HT have gone with too.
Yeah, Head's too wide, eyes and nose all wrong. Also, another sculpt they symmetricalized as much as possible. They should have just reworked their Nick Fury sculpt. That one already had a great likeness.

Sadly, this is probably the only Mace Windu we're getting anytime soon, and if he doesn't sell, maybe ever. I'll bite and hope for a better sculpt down the line.

Such a shame. SLJ has such a distinct look about him. You’d think that would be an easier thing to capture in a sculpt. I haven’t even bothered to order this yet and I’m not in a hurry to. Gotta be the worst SW likeness to date for me.

Maybe if I didn’t already have that 3rd party version I would order but for now I’m thinking about just picking up parts this one.

3B1A1105.jpeg

Me: Can we stop and get Mace Windu?
Mom: we have Mace Windu at home.

Mace Windu at home:
IMG_7131.jpeg

In all seriousness this is the first time I think I have a complaint on a head sculpt. Will still pick this up, Mace is my favorite Jedi, love the purple lightsaber too.

Worst case scenario, display this as Clone Wars version if a better one comes out.

Last edited:
I did this photoshop a while back on the prototype where I made the lips darker and the whites of the eyes more pronounced, in the hope that maybe the final version might make similar tweaks. It's a shame they didn't bother to at least tweak the paint apps from announce to release.

4LzpNOl.jpg

I mean this has got to be the weakest Star Wars headsculpt I think ever? I'm just trying to think of any one that's been worse...

But clearly just some old sculpt they had from years back that they dumped out, and it looks especially bad given the quality of some of other modern Hot Toys/ InArt.

Look out here comes the generic man!!
This comment pretty much sums up the sculpt, perfectly. It's a better discription of what I've been calling it, "random bald black man".

I am getting this in hopes of finding a good custom SLJ head for it. I doubt I'll even open it because nothing is worse than opening up a $300 figure and immediately NOT being impressed.

The body/robes/overall outfit looks great.

This comment pretty much sums up the sculpt, perfectly. It's a better discription of what I've been calling it, "random bald black man".

I am getting this in hopes of finding a good custom SLJ head for it. I doubt I'll even open it because nothing is worse than opening up a $300 figure and immediately NOT being impressed.
Maybe dirty up the robes, swap to robo hands and stick a Nick Fury head on it. Old man survivor Mace. Then when probable ROTS version comes along that one can be your movie Mace.

I was planning on replacing my Sideshow version of Mace, but I don’t think I will now.

I did this photoshop a while back on the prototype where I made the lips darker and the whites of the eyes more pronounced, in the hope that maybe the final version might make similar tweaks. It's a shame they didn't bother to at least tweak the paint apps from announce to release.

4LzpNOl.jpg

I mean this has got to be the weakest Star Wars headsculpt I think ever? I'm just trying to think of any one that's been worse...

But clearly just some old sculpt they had from years back that they dumped out, and it looks especially bad given the quality of some of other modern Hot Toys/ InArt.

IMG_2486.jpeg

This is one of the worst ones.

“Featuring Loke, with a stunning likeness to his appearance in Dark Crystal…”

IMG_2487.jpeg

Finally dethroned by the Chinese knockoff “Make Windsor”.

For real, wtf is this??

IMG_2484.jpeg

Nothing about this sculpt is ‘good enough’ or has a ‘passing likeness’. No amount of squinting or smearing Vaseline on the screen can convince me this is SLJ.

I feel bad for Mace fans, I’m one too. I’ve been through this before. I’m a huge Luke fan and HT did him dirty with that abysmal RoTJ Luke. Thank the Whills for Mando Luke.

This “Make Windsor” was definitely conceptualized before Hot Toy’s “oh **** InArt are legit, let’s step it up” company reboot. This wasn’t made by their B team, hell I don’t think it was even made by their C team. This feels like it was made by a non paid intern…that’s blind in one eye.

I don’t have any hope there’ll be a 2.0. Not for a loooong time. Here’s hoping someone will pick up the slack and fix yet another **** up by HT by providing a custom portrait that actually looks like SLJ.

I’m sorry if my post rubbed anyone the wrong way, but we seriously need to demand better. This **** ain’t cheap. Demand better, expect better. Stop settling for these lazy, low effort releases. You’re essentially rewarding HT by settling for mediocre product with YOUR HARD EARNED money. We’ve all been through this song and dance so many times. Stop letting FOMO get the better of you. There’s always gonna be another Mace Windu. Either official or no.

Seriously don’t be offended by this post. No ones the lesser collector by purchasing this. But it is an insult on HT behalf when they release sub par products to diehard fans.

Back