1/6 Hot Toys MMS699 & MMS700 ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But no picture? Shame... Shame...
Busy day 🤣

french-gar.png

The people going on how terrible the ESB helmet is needs to take a breather and go look at some Sideshow helmets instead. Mouth bigger then Jabba on some of those. None of the hot toys helmets are spot on but they're all miles ahead of others in sixth scale and their quarter scale rotj Vader is the standard to beat outside of full size casts and some statues.

That said, it is of course a huge disappointment they did not shrink the quarter scale ROTJ helmet down for this release, as such it is a pass for me I think, though that Shaw sculpt with pers looks pretty darn good. Will wait for production photos on this one.

That's far surpassed my expectations, I think it looks incredible. I've only got ROTJ Luke, Empire Boba and Mando and always said this would be my last (untill they release another Luke with a new hat), this seems pretty reasonable price-wise.

The people going on how terrible the ESB helmet is needs to take a breather and go look at some Sideshow helmets instead. Mouth bigger then Jabba on some of those.

I get what you're saying and I'm not a Vader accuracy hound by any means when it comes to these figures. I like them for what they are.

But just because there's worse doesn't mean people shouldn't want Hot Toys to do better.

I understand it can be exhausting if the criticisms just become a negative feedback echo chamber. But constructive criticism is important to the discussion and vocal criticism has even effected change in the past. Don't know if there'll be enough push back on this for that to happen but people are welcome to try.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying and I'm not a Vader accuracy hound by any means when it comes to these figures. I like them for what they are.

But just because there's worse doesn't mean people shouldn't want Hot Toys to do better.

I understand it can be exhausting if the criticisms just become a negative feedback echo chamber. But constructive criticism is important to the discussion and vocal criticism has even effected change in the past. Don't know if there'll be enough push back on this for that to happen but people are welcome to try.
Exactly. Hot toys are lazy rehashing the esb helmet for this release instead of using their great quarter scale rotj design, though they're not fully in the doghouse until we see actual production photos.

I’m ok with the figure, it’s these oval elevated stands that are giving me anxiety. C3po will be towering over r2 unless we put him on a phone book. And Vader won’t fit in a detolf. Cut the crap hot toys. Give me my reused rectangle bases so my collection looks uniform.

I’m the exact opposite on this. Having Hayden show up as the ghost was one of the dumbest things (aside from those **** prequels) that Lucas ever came up with. Why did Ben and Yoda both look the age they were when they died, but somehow that horse-**** one dimensional actor appeared as Anakin? Lucas should have been hit in the head with a golf club until he pulled his head out of his ass for that stupidity. Shaw will always be the only Anakin that matters to me.
Theatrical release version of OT is the only Star Wars. You can’t manufacture nostalgia. Lucas hasn’t been able to, and neither has Disney.

I have the Kenobi on order, I’m happy with just that one I think, but I might also get this just for that electro sculpt

After much consideration, I’m surprised to say I’m going to skip both Vader and Threepio. I actually quite like these podium bases (another InArt inspired change perhaps?) but I don’t need a third Vader. ESB and Kenobi cracked helm version is plenty.
Also, that these are characters I already own just makes them less interesting and desirable despite the fact they’re presented rather well. These high prices are also making me think harder about what I add to the collection than previously.

OT Vader stands in my ESB display- leading into the ROTJ throne room scene- doing the classic ‘No, I am your father’ and I’ll always either want him like that or with hands resting on his belt. Don’t need a Shaw sculpt or the electrocution head and, if tue body and suit are ESB reuse, the only aspects of this release I’d have any interest in would be the usb sabre and maybe the stairs for Luke.

The ROTJ Threepio looks filthy so I may as well just stick with the dull SS version until a nice shiny one is announced; we all know that day will come eventually now so, unless I can manage to sell the SS V2 for close to the £220-£240 it cost me in the U.K., (despicably overpriced but there’s no cheap way to get anything from the U.S.) I will remain patient.

Hot Toys could have taken the time to produce more screen accurate OWK and RotJ Darth Vader figures but they've focused primarily on the face sculpt being the highlight. In that regard, they've done outstanding.

After reading everyone’s thoughts and watching YouTuber reviews of the Rogue One Vader, I think I might wait for the OWK version. The OWK version is supposed to be similar to the Rogue One version in proportion and height as well as having a similar helmet. I actually prefer the way that helmet slopes. Also, I plan on having only one Vader in my collection at any given time so if I’m going to choose then I want what is, in my mind, an ideal version of the Vader suit based on what he wears in ROTS, RO and OWK.

That Shaw headsculpt is terrific but I don’t think I can turn down the Christensen headsculpt! Out of all the Star Wars series I’ve seen, OWK ranks lowest but I did love that that one fight scene. Christensen and McGregor were pretty good in that series, it almost redeems the way their characters were portrayed in the prequels.

I can easily see HT putting out an update on the helmet.
That would be a great thing to do. HT figures are not as accurate as many of us would like. Yes, yes, they are not props, we get that, but even so, the technology these days allow a company to make scaled figures that are way more accurate than what they made years ago.

Collectors can and should ask for better figures, not just more accurate, but with better bodies, better pleather suits (maybe leather suits instead of pleather), better LED lighting (USB instead of stupid little cell batteries that leak) etc. If we just buy everything they make and not contest anything, they'll be even more complacent than they already are.

Back