1/6 Hot Toys - MMS610 - Back to the Future (1985) - Doc Brown Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Any idea on where to have it painted and haired? I know you did your own. My skill level isn’t there where I can do my own sadly.
We talked about that further back: possibly doing a group thing, but it died out. It’s easy to find painters and hard to find good ones.

We talked about that further back: possibly doing a group thing, but it died out. It’s easy to find painters and hard to find good ones.
I see. Yeah, I have no real idea of who does what in the world of customs. Not sure who’s good or who to trust, etc.

I see. Yeah, I have no real idea of who does what in the world of customs. Not sure who’s good or who to trust, etc.
To be honest with a painters it's usually trial and errors. I say this meaning you probably want to wait out until someone paints this sculpt and see if you like it because their first take of painting might never be as good as if it's their 5th, 6th take at the same sculpt. Hopefully that makes sense. Personally I'd suggest Jacob for painting and rooting, but I'm not sure if he's still taking commission or how long the wait list is if there's any

Thanks! Any idea on where to have it painted and haired? I know you did your own. My skill level isn’t there where I can do my own sadly.
No sorry I haven't kept up on who the all the painters are out there. 357Partment seem to be the most popular right now, and don't seem to be terribly expensive, but I'm guessing they're backed up for quite a while.

Asked on Facebook and was referred to a couple different pages by an admin of One Sixth Republic.

The guy who referred me told me that the person who does paint (Soulmaker) charged $200 for a Kurt Cobain custom and the person who did the rooted hair (Microwig) was $250. I realize it’s not cheap but damn..

Asked on Facebook and was referred to a couple different pages by an admin of One Sixth Republic.

The guy who referred me told me that the person who does paint (Soulmaker) charged $200 for a Kurt Cobain custom and the person who did the rooted hair (Microwig) was $250. I realize it’s not cheap but damn..
There's one painter who is very popular and booked up a year in advance, even though I think the applications are a bit heavy-handed for my personal taste, and he gets $450+

There's one painter who is very popular and booked up a year in advance, even though I think the applications are a bit heavy-handed for my personal taste, and he gets $450+
Crazy in my honest opinion. Again I realize customs aren’t cheap but a little on the ridiculous side. Especially if they’re being supplied with the sculpt. I understand it’s a talent but just seems excessive.

That is pretty normal price and even cheap compared to many other major options

That is pretty normal price and even cheap compared to many other major options
I’m not really in the customs world at all. I always knew it was a lot but didn’t realize it was quite that much. To me it seems like a lot for just a paint job. I’m tempted to try my hand at it but I feel like I wouldn’t do a great job.

Crazy in my honest opinion. Again I realize customs aren’t cheap but a little on the ridiculous side. Especially if they’re being supplied with the sculpt. I understand it’s a talent but just seems excessive.
It's like eBay - market dictates value. What people are willing to pay.

If he's booked up for a year at $450, and people are lining up, he could increase the price more to reduce demand/bookings, and still have orders flooding in.

I've said this for over ten years: I've caught myself being desensitised to the prices we pay. I have several customs that cost way over 1k each. Not sure I'd pay that now. I had a break from Hot Toys for a couple of years, and when I came back, I was shocked at the price increases. To put it into context - Haslab made a 1/1 replica of the proton pack, for about the same money as a lot of figures cost these days.

Got nothing to do with manufacturing or material costs. I could have pruchased Star Ace figures directly for $50 a pop back when they first released HP figures, and they retailed at the time for $150-200. They probably manufactured them for under $30, and likely still do.

Wow, maybe I should consider doing commissions after all! Lol

Only problem is I know I'd go out of my mind repainting the same head again and again. Just getting through it once is a struggle for me, so don't know how these guys are able to pump out so many.

Only problem is I know I'd go out of my mind repainting the same head again and again. Just getting through it once is a struggle for me, so don't know how these guys are able to pump out so many.
I reckon if you paint them (the same sculpt) in a big batch at the same time instead of one by one it would be easier to get through

So we have a deal here? Davejames will paint and hair in waves of 10 for 450 + shipping. Please provide the head. In order to help James to focus on his art. I will habdle the administrative part such as collecting payments, headsculpts etc. As I do this for free please understand that payments must be send as gift only. PM me for Paypal details. @davejames I come back to you when the first 10 are ready.

I reckon if you paint them (the same sculpt) in a big batch at the same time instead of one by one it would be easier to get through
Exactly. If I had your skill, davejames, I'd take on ten or twenty at once, line them up, and do one thing on them each day. Even if it took a month or two or three, it would still be worth it.

$450 for paint is too steep for me. I'd rather use that money to try getting Christopher Lloyd to sign my base. Having my base sign might distract people from looking at the terrible head sculpt Hot Toys provided.

I think Im going to hide my Doc in the DeLorean or I might pose him, with him holding his clip board over his face. Maybe a mass produced Doc sculpt might materialise in the future. :dunno :lol

$450 for paint is too steep for me. I'd rather use that money to try getting Christopher Lloyd to sign my base. Having my base sign might distract people from looking at the terrible head sculpt Hot Toys provided.
Stick around. There are possible sculpts in the works. Not sure if Godfather1408 has generated enough interest yet, but $80 for a painted. Okay, it may not be as good as Dean's (who knows until we see it) but same price painted as a sculpt only. Even if that one falls through, a knockoff company like Eleven is bound to jump on eventually because there's a want for replacement sculpts. Or drive to davejames' house and beg. Your choice.

Back