1/6 - Hot Toys: MMS481 - Avengers: Infinity War - Captain America

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd be really preordered? :monkey3

:cool:

Loki_onejpb.jpg

The *mystery* of HT:lol - first crack at Cate and she's amazing...:slap :cuckoo::dunno

Seems HT has a real nose issue. JL Wonder Woman, now this. Maybe issue going from sculpt to master mould ?
Don't think so...CW Bucky has generic white guy nose that doesn't match actor's. Then there was the CW Antman that looked like Ben Affleck. And who knows with TFA Finn that got the last minute sculpt change. Just think HT figured out that people will buy the "good enough" job anyway, most of the time.

Just think HT figured out that people will buy the "good enough" job anyway, most of the time.

completely agree. we know they can do better than some of the stuff they've put out recently. but they seem to be focused now more on volume and not trying to get make the best figure possible each time. we've seen obvious examples of them cutting some corners. I've curtailed my purchases a bit because of this and only buying figures i really like rather than trying to complete a set.

completely agree. we know they can do better than some of the stuff they've put out recently. but they seem to be focused now more on volume and not trying to get make the best figure possible each time. we've seen obvious examples of them cutting some corners. I've curtailed my purchases a bit because of this and only buying figures i really like rather than trying to complete a set.

That's the way to do it. Quality over quantity (or complete sets). I've already made peace knowing that IW Cap won't be in my collection, a real pity...but it is what it is.

I can't and I won't pay for mediocrity, which is sad because Loki got cut from my potential purchase list as well. I do hope in the future HT takes another crack at the announced Loki Disney+ limited series.

couldn't agree more. the headsculpt is the ultimate deal breaker for any 1/6 figure. HT proclaimed they were the best. i do agree they have produced 'some' bests, eg yondu, hela, 1st ant-man, 1st loki maybe, civil war capt, 1st star lord.

but the tony starks, thor, 2nd and 3rd loki, black widow, recent capt were all off tangent by some degree. for example, you cannot simply reuse the same mould for scarlett across the movies, not even one or two in a row. because, she looked entirely different in infinity war and civil war. and some collectors are blatantly defending HT. i have nothing against HT, just felt let down by the quality of the recent headsculpts and the proclaimed highest quality statements.

couldn't agree more. the headsculpt is the ultimate deal breaker for any 1/6 figure. HT proclaimed they were the best. i do agree they have produced 'some' bests, eg yondu, hela, 1st ant-man, 1st loki maybe, civil war capt, 1st star lord.

but the tony starks, thor, 2nd and 3rd loki, black widow, recent capt were all off tangent by some degree. for example, you cannot simply reuse the same mould for scarlett across the movies, not even one or two in a row. because, she looked entirely different in infinity war and civil war. and some collectors are blatantly defending HT. i have nothing against HT, just felt let down by the quality of the recent headsculpts and the proclaimed highest quality statements.

Interessting...
I actually think that the newer Tony Starks (i.e. Mark IV die cast) and Thor TDW are spot on. And on the other hand weak likeness with all caps and both star lords :)
So I think it really comes down to personal taste. Hot Toys is still producing high quality headsculpts :)

It doesn't matter if Hot Toys doesn't nail the likeness 100 percent completely all the time - for me, when they do, bloody great, if not it sucks. But the line ends for me at them producing the most realistic looking miniature sculpts I have seen. I've never seen any other 1/6th have that look, from the sculpt to paint application to the glint in their eyes. That's why for me these slight "That isn't 100% so and so!" doesn't mean much to me. Yeah it's a shame, but when I have them in hand I'm more thinking it is them than isn't, and beyond that, feeling like it's a really well produced scaled down version.

Maybe it's just me, but like I said, I've not seen anyone else produce the effect like you could be looking at that person scaled down. For me the Tuxedo Joker exemplifies that, the pasty white matte looking face, barely visible veins and the glint from his grills and eyes when the light catches it - that's the reason why I pay a butt tonne of money for something so stupid and not really worth it in the grand scheme of things, they look phenomenal even when very slightly off.

Also, 1/6 statues to above that size, may have the sculpt 100%, from all I've seen though none have that same resonance of looking at a great sculpt from HT's - none have that uncanny "damn" factor.

I recently saw Negan (can't remember the creator of it) and the face looks like it was 3d sculpted to a point where it just looked mechanical, and the paint app and deadness of eyes sort of took away. I'd rather have a lesser percent match and sculpt that looks great and has a presence to it than one that is 100 percent and has nothing else to it.

That's the feeling I got 'coz w. late start collecting this year ended up backtracking - grabbing older figs when I could re prices skyrocketing and it bein' the end of the original 10 year MCU. I KNOW HT has had issues*cheapness* everything from cr*p dyes to pink panty IM to iffy sculpts.

Still, tho. First Avenger Cap, Ultron BW, Roadworn Thor, Promo SW - even w. re-used sculpts in some cases still got the feeling of quality in paint, costumes, accessories. Was blown away by Ultron Hawkeye. DS #1 IMO was a labor of love - another fig that's not a special fav of mine, but iconic to comics and just so great a release.

It just feels like HT cut corners re IW - aside from sculpt, for me - the textured plastic-y IW Cap uniform's got no continuity with CW Cap. Assume movie fugitive/nomad Cap just ripped off Avengers insignia including star, and dyed the uniform. If ur gonna charge me more anyway, why not give me the dyed (smooth cloth) CW uniform w. a mail shirt under the vest? And keep the *special* Wakanda dirt card for the stand.:slap. I can get real dirt from my front yard and make a card w. real rocks and everything. :monkey3

Was hoping to PO War Machine$$$ but now I'm a bit uneasy, like it won't be as great as CW diecast Ironman is e.g. a quality release. Gonna wait until Loki, Shuri, and Bucky are out and see if HT re-boots:thwak.:dunno

That's the feeling I got 'coz w. late start collecting this year ended up backtracking - grabbing older figs when I could re prices skyrocketing and it bein' the end of the original 10 year MCU. I KNOW HT has had issues*cheapness* everything from cr*p dyes to pink panty IM to iffy sculpts.

Still, tho. First Avenger Cap, Ultron BW, Roadworn Thor, Promo SW - even w. re-used sculpts in some cases still got the feeling of quality in paint, costumes, accessories. Was blown away by Ultron Hawkeye. DS #1 IMO was a labor of love - another fig that's not a special fav of mine, but iconic to comics and just so great a release.

It just feels like HT cut corners re IW - aside from sculpt, for me - the textured plastic-y IW Cap uniform's got no continuity with CW Cap. Assume movie fugitive/nomad Cap just ripped off Avengers insignia including star, and dyed the uniform. If ur gonna charge me more anyway, why not give me the dyed (smooth cloth) CW uniform w. a mail shirt under the vest? And keep the *special* Wakanda dirt card for the stand.:slap. I can get real dirt from my front yard and make a card w. real rocks and everything. :monkey3

Was hoping to PO War Machine$$$ but now I'm a bit uneasy, like it won't be as great as CW diecast Ironman is e.g. a quality release. Gonna wait until Loki, Shuri, and Bucky are out and see if HT re-boots:thwak.:dunno

The new cap suit is an improvement visually imo. It’s meant to keep the ruffled look present at all times, especially in the leg areas. Granted, flexibility lacks but you can’t get that look with a cloth outfit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter if Hot Toys doesn't nail the likeness 100 percent completely all the time - for me, when they do, bloody great, if not it sucks. But the line ends for me at them producing the most realistic looking miniature sculpts I have seen. I've never seen any other 1/6th have that look, from the sculpt to paint application to the glint in their eyes. That's why for me these slight "That isn't 100% so and so!" doesn't mean much to me. Yeah it's a shame, but when I have them in hand I'm more thinking it is them than isn't, and beyond that, feeling like it's a really well produced scaled down version.

Maybe it's just me, but like I said, I've not seen anyone else produce the effect like you could be looking at that person scaled down. For me the Tuxedo Joker exemplifies that, the pasty white matte looking face, barely visible veins and the glint from his grills and eyes when the light catches it - that's the reason why I pay a butt tonne of money for something so stupid and not really worth it in the grand scheme of things, they look phenomenal even when very slightly off.

Also, 1/6 statues to above that size, may have the sculpt 100%, from all I've seen though none have that same resonance of looking at a great sculpt from HT's - none have that uncanny "damn" factor.

I recently saw Negan (can't remember the creator of it) and the face looks like it was 3d sculpted to a point where it just looked mechanical, and the paint app and deadness of eyes sort of took away. I'd rather have a lesser percent match and sculpt that looks great and has a presence to it than one that is 100 percent and has nothing else to it.

:goodpost: Tho I'd argue Iron Studios CW quarterscales blew it out of the water. And I've seen some 3rd party work that's pretty good. To me as far as paint - esp. the eye work - most of the time, HT is THE company to emulate.:clap

For me tho - with this Cap release - HT could have, and should have, done better. Enough so that I'm gonna pass unless I can pick him up at a hefty discount. Besides sculpt - careful costumes and details make me HAPPY. Like I was happy just looking over ASMUS' Gimli's 5 diecast axes and tiny leaf cloak pin (plus great sculpt and eyes too). This Cap release I keep feeling like I'd pick at the plastic-y uniform holes etc.

It's not like when I got IM diecast in and spent hours just bein' amazed at the joints and details:love. Ultron Widow or Rescue Cap. I can't buy this Cap just 'coz Glaive's spear looks cool. IMO this Cap is too expensive at retail for what you get, compared to CW Cap e.g. it's a production step back - either to save money on materials and effort, or just a rushed release, or HT figures any Cap will sell at this point:thwak. It was tough for me to cancel for sure, enough is enough IMO just taking advantage of collectors. Like, Concept Cap is great but back to plastic shields even for a "commemoration release?":slap and let's use same costume material for IW Cap 'coz we bought a bulk lot of the stuff.

Hope folks who get this in are happy; meanwhile my shelf is gonna have a Cap gap. But - if I don't think it looks like Evans' Cap that much, does it matter?:( :( :(

The new cap suit is an improvement visually imo. It’s meant to keep the ruffled look present at all times, especially in the leg areas. Granted, flexibility lacks but you can’t get that look with a cloth outfit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to show off the body like Concept Cap - but - the stiffness and texture bug me - like the upper part of the sleeve hangs stiff and then there's this cloth bit and then these stiff cuffs...to me it looks too toy-like - and the pants, shoulder pads are just wrong w. the texture. U can really see it parted out on the 'bay in pics.

Interessting...
I actually think that the newer Tony Starks (i.e. Mark IV die cast) and Thor TDW are spot on. And on the other hand weak likeness with all caps and both star lords :)
So I think it really comes down to personal taste. Hot Toys is still producing high quality headsculpts :)

Just to be clear the Tony head sculpt that came with the DC Mark IV is not new, it's an OLD and inaccurate re-used head sculpt. The only new and more accurate Tony sculpt is the one from 46, which has now been re-used for 47 and for the forthcoming 50.

Back