1/6 Hot Toys MMS221 - Alien vs. Predator: Celtic Predator Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys MMS221 - Alien vs. Predator: 1/6th scale Celtic Predator Figure

as for "easy, noob-proof way" - just remember that lenses are actually one piece of plastic. take it out, paint the lenses, put the plastic back. doing so you don't have to worry about accuracy of painting.
i'd advice to get a gunmetal silver paint and a gloss varnish to cover it.

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys MMS221 - Alien vs. Predator: 1/6th scale Celtic Predator Figure

as for "easy, noob-proof way" - just remember that lenses are actually one piece of plastic. take it out, paint the lenses, put the plastic back. doing so you don't have to worry about accuracy of painting.
i'd advice to get a gunmetal silver paint and a gloss varnish to cover it.

Thanks P. Much appreciated.

Is there a color type and/or varnish that's better suited for this? I want then to retain some opacity, but very little.

How hard is the lens removal and re-attachment? Do you have any pics of your modded Celtic bio?

i don't know anything about different paints. i'm not a painter. i only use what i have. Citadel is water based and Tamiya is acetone based, at least that's what i got or bought. i liked Citadel a lot more because it can be diluted or taken off (before drying) easily. i think that if you want a professional opinion, you should ask a professional. i also think that such small thing as lenses doesn't need any professionalism, just paint it and varnish it, training on something else before the start.

as for "how hard"... after cutting a HT headsculpt from outside and inside for space i cannot say that taking any detail off the main figure is hard :)

Spoiler Spoiler:

but really, there is nothing hard in taking out a little piece of soft plastic. it's simply glued from inside. how do you say it? little strokes fell great oaks :)

my avpators are still in plastic bags. didn't reposition them after moving.

Last edited:

i don't know anything about different paints. i'm not a painter. i only use what i have. Citadel is water based and Tamiya is acetone based, at least that's what i got or bought. i liked Citadel a lot more because it can be diluted or taken off (before drying) easily. i think that if you want a professional opinion, you should ask a professional. i also think that such small thing as lenses doesn't need any professionalism, just paint it and varnish it, training on something else before the start.

as for "how hard"... after cutting a HT headsculpt from outside and inside for space i cannot say that taking any detail off the main figure is hard :)

Spoiler Spoiler:

but really, there is nothing hard in taking out a little piece of soft plastic. it's simply glued from inside. how do you say it? little strokes fell great oaks :)

my avpators are still in plastic bags. didn't reposition them after moving.

Can't see the pics, mate. :( What are they?

it's strange, i can. they were a butchered terminator headsculpt anyway :)

it's strange, i can. they were a butchered terminator headsculpt anyway :)

Oh, I see it now:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Got this beast last night and repainted the lens on the damaged mask right away and I like the look better than just black.

I want something like this... Raiyuri, if you're reading this; good job.

Thank guys! He really looks cool with silver lens.:D

@Dr. Odd - About the repaint I did, you don't have to remove/cut the lens part just straight dry brush. Didn't want the lens to be all silver and the dry brushing helped to give it some shading look to it.

I used citadel leadbelcher color I think it's boltgun metal on other brands.

Necro-quoting in case others are wondering too.

Noob question #1: Is "dry brush" a painting technique, or literally a dry brush dipped in the paint? #2: What brush to get?

Damn it Hot Toys, this should've been basic stuff. (I know, I know, I'm not surprised. But still.)
58lv.jpg

Necro-quoting in case others are wondering too.

Noob question #1: Is "dry brush" a painting technique, or literally a dry brush dipped in the paint? #2: What brush to get?

Damn it Hot Toys, this should've been basic stuff. (I know, I know, I'm not surprised. But still.)
58lv.jpg

Dry brushing is an techinque that most of the excess paint is brushed off and just very little is applied...

Drybrush is a painting technique in which a paint brush that is relatively dry, but still holds paint, is used. Load is applied to a dry support such as paper or primed canvas. The resulting brush strokes have a characteristic scratchy look that lacks the smooth appearance that washes or blended paint commonly have.

Thanks man! I use tamiya paints, just a tiny brush for the copper parts and then for the lenses I popped the mandibles out and then then lenses. I painted the lenses three coats of bright silver them a few coats of tamiya clear. I used a razor blade to pop the mandibles and lenses out... Can't wait to see how yours comes out!

I've had mine packed away too long

need to find a good spot to display him

I put him away last time cause he was so top heavy he'd do nosedives even on his stand

Came out great! Nice work!

Thanks, broski. It took a while. Aggravatingly enough, I aced the practice mask (the undamaged one) in 5 minutes on the first try. This one took hours though. And lots of curse words, sweat, and nail polish remover.

Will pose him more later, but I'll probably stick to rampagey pose like the above. How do you pose yours?

I've had mine packed away too long

need to find a good spot to display him

I put him away last time cause he was so top heavy he'd do nosedives even on his stand

I feel you: had to epoxy the stand's pole to its base to secure the pose I have him in now. Either way, it's too explosive a figure to keep packed away. It's a damn tank. Heck, the weaponry alone had a tray of its own. Quite impressive.

Anyway, post pics when you unleash him again.

Thanks, broski. It took a while. Aggravatingly enough, I aced the practice mask (the undamaged one) in 5 minutes on the first try. This one took hours though. And lots of curse words, sweat, and nail polish remover.

Will pose him more later, but I'll probably stick to rampagey pose like the above. How do you pose yours?

I feel you: had to epoxy the stand's pole to its base to secure the pose I have him in now. Either way, it's too explosive a figure to keep packed away. It's a damn tank. Heck, the weaponry alone had a tray of its own. Quite impressive.

Anyway, post pics when you unleash him again.
Yeah, cursing makes it come out better :) I really like that rage pose! I've got him in the back center of his brother scar and chopper. He's got his foot on the alien head holding his spear, nothing crazy....gotta have room for all three in the detolf shelf.

Back